Finally listened to the vinyl

micgtr71

Ok, I am a vinyl fan. I purchased every album (except RTB through VT) in this format when they were released. The vinyl is much more dynamic and that may be due to the amplifier/speakers involved.

First, I love the packaging. Heavy 180 gram discs are amazing. I love the clock showing 1 o'clock through 4 o'clock for the four sides. The gatefold brings me back to the glory days of vinyl. I almost wish the cover was a bit more ornate to use that medium a bit more.

The sound is amazing. It is much more warm and dynamic. It doesn't feel like I am being hit in the face. Though it was almost 3 times the price of the cd opening week, I feel that it is worth it for the sound. This is Geddy's best bass sound in years.

I just wanted to share this because it made me feel like I was a kid again. Anyone else get the vinyl and felt transported back to the days of your youth? Please share.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:17 PM)
Ok, I am a vinyl fan. I purchased every album (except RTB through VT) in this format when they were released. The vinyl is much more dynamic and that may be due to the amplifier/speakers involved.

First, I love the packaging. Heavy 180 gram discs are amazing. I love the clock showing 1 o'clock through 4 o'clock for the four sides. The gatefold brings me back to the glory days of vinyl. I almost wish the cover was a bit more ornate to use that medium a bit more.

The sound is amazing. It is much more warm and dynamic. It doesn't feel like I am being hit in the face. Though it was almost 3 times the price of the cd opening week, I feel that it is worth it for the sound. This is Geddy's best bass sound in years.

I just wanted to share this because it made me feel like I was a kid again. Anyone else get the vinyl and felt transported back to the days of your youth? Please share.

I agree 100%, Vinyl is so much warmer, i think back to my early days of buying music, every classic album released sounds better on vinyl. Imho the advent of the cd, ruined the sound of all the classic releases.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:17 PM)

Now I gotta get turn table.......dammit!

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 22 2012, 07:27 PM)
If I wanted to buy a good vinyl player, but not spend an arm or a leg, which one would you recommend?

Stantons are pretty good. Easy to use, but they don't have an auto arm. 300 bucks.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 22 2012, 07:38 PM)
If I wanted to buy a good vinyl player, but not spend an arm or a leg, which one would you recommend?

Stantons are pretty good. Easy to use, but they don't have an auto arm. 300 bucks.

That is weird, i have a Stanton t.92 . Love it 2.gif

The audio technica at lp 120 gets good reviews, but it is about 200 bucks. I have a realistic lab 2000 linear tracking that is 20 some odd years old. You can find them on ebay for around 50 bucks. Great turntable. I have not changed out the cartridge and they can still be obtained for 35 bucks or so. Great machine.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 22 2012, 07:59 PM)

The audio technica at lp 120 gets good reviews, but it is about 200 bucks. I have a realistic lab 2000 linear tracking that is 20 some odd years old. You can find them on ebay for around 50 bucks. Great turntable. I have not changed out the cartridge and they can still be obtained for 35 bucks or so. Great machine.

I hear ya, I had a Dual, that is about 25 years old. I gave the tt to my son, who is still using it. Should have kept it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 22 2012, 08:05 PM)

I hear ya, I had a Dual, that is about 25 years old. I gave the tt to my son, who is still using it. Should have kept it. biggrin.gif

Seems like the stuff that was made back then was made to last. Man, I miss that era....

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 22 2012, 09:08 PM)

Seems like the stuff that was made back then was made to last. Man, I miss that era....

Word

Made to last and made to perform.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 22 2012, 09:33 PM)

True, so true

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 22 2012, 10:18 PM)
Waiste of money vinyl. Its a freakin digital product. Warmer? What? Same as a cd. Christ.

unenlightened shail

no vinyl experience

crawl back into shell

iI bought 2 copies of CA on vinyl, one to open and one to keep sealed.

I have a Realistic LAB-400 and it is fantastic from 1978. You can find them on Ebay for a really good price. One of the best.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 22 2012, 09:33 PM)

True, so true

Now, when you go look at stereo's it seems like almost all you see are these micro-systems with a bunch of preset sound settings on them. I mean almost all the companies make these crappy all in one systems that have horrible sound. There use to be many companies that made good stereos but now there are only a few and you really have to pay for them.

had an old Dual for years, but Im back to using my almost 30 year old Technics

I must admit i was soo happy when i got my package in the mail. I have every album up till Preto and then the single with BU2B and Caravan but i was so happy to hear the warm tone coming from my record player that came from the vinyl as with the cd and digital download it was missing. I love vinyl to death and i would love to see rush press every album out again so i could have every album. Anyway, keep on rushing everyone! this album is worth the buy!

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Jun 22 2012, 10:29 PM)
Waiste of money vinyl. Its a freakin digital product. Warmer? What? Same as a cd. Christ.

unenlightened shail

no vinyl experience

crawl back into shell

This is what I was thinking...

QUOTE (shail @ Jun 22 2012, 09:18 PM)

wrong!

VERY VERY WRONG! This dude has no idea what he's talking about.

Depends on your budget but generally in order to get a good sound from vinyl you DO need to spend an arm and a leg. Cleaning machines alone cost $500+.

Not the most eloquent way of putting it, but a point well made! If a recording is entirely in the digital domain up until mastering for the LP, you're kinda getting a "softened" analog version of the digital. I treasure my purely analog recordings on LP, but miss the point of many modern LP releases, unless they were recorded on all analog equipment. In my experience, it also take pretty pricey equipment to make an LP sound as good as it should.

But, I say whatever makes your ears happy- in the end, you're the one listening! smile.gif