Clockwork Angels< Best Album?CD since?

crazygeo

Best Album since Moving Pictures.

The last album I dug every song was GUP... although both that album and Signals had tracks that weren't upper echelon to me: (Countdown, New World Man, Red Lenses, The Enemy Within, etc.)

My top 5 Rush albums previously being: Hem, PeW, MP, FWTK, Signals... After CA it now goes:

1) Hemispheres

2) Permanent Waves

3) Moving Pictures

4) Farewell to Kings

5) Clockwork Angels

And that is saying a LOT for this latest effort. I can't stop playing the damn thing (driving my wife crazy)... I promised her after our November 30th concert (in San Antonio, TX)... I'll give it a rest.

I'd put "Headlong Flight" up against any song in their catalog for pure "Rush" virtuosity (all three shine like Novas here). Not a stinker on the album (well, I don't really count BU2B2 as a "song", but as an interlude withing the story).

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Torgo Satyr @ Sep 4 2012, 10:10 AM)
Best Album since Moving Pictures.

The last album I dug every song was GUP... although both that album and Signals had tracks that weren't upper echelon to me: (Countdown, New World Man, Red Lenses, The Enemy Within, etc.)

My top 5 Rush albums previously being: Hem, PeW, MP, FWTK, Signals... After CA it now goes:

1) Hemispheres
2) Permanent Waves
3) Moving Pictures
4) Farewell to Kings
5) Clockwork Angels

And that is saying a LOT for this latest effort. I can't stop playing the damn thing (driving my wife crazy)... I promised her after our November 30th concert (in San Antonio, TX)... I'll give it a rest.

I'd put "Headlong Flight" up against any song in their catalog for pure "Rush" virtuosity (all three shine like Novas here). Not a stinker on the album (well, I don't really count BU2B2 as a "song", but as an interlude withing the story).

Just my opinion.

Nice one. Clockwork Angels is the song that I put up on that lofty shelf, however, the Garden, Seven Cities of Gold, and Headlong Flight, are up there as well!

2.gif

I can't stop playing the damn thing (driving my wife crazy)... I promised her after our November 30th concert (in San Antonio, TX)... I'll give it a rest.

Heh, there's nothing like a spouse to bring you back down to earth. My wife said yesterday that they repeat their lyrics too much and she hates The Wreckers video as much as anyone else around here. I promised that the drive to St. Louis is the last time I'll force it on her.

Ah well, I still think it is the best thing in many years and not even Jesus himself could convince me otherwise.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 4 2012, 12:02 PM)
I can't stop playing the damn thing (driving my wife crazy)... I promised her after our November 30th concert (in San Antonio, TX)... I'll give it a rest.

Heh, there's nothing like a spouse to bring you back down to earth. My wife said yesterday that they repeat their lyrics too much and she hates The Wreckers video as much as anyone else around here. I promised that the drive to St. Louis is the last time I'll force it on her.

Ah well, I still think it is the best thing in many years and not even Jesus himself could convince me otherwise.

Best album since...Thriller ph34r.gif

QUOTE (robertjames1971 @ Sep 6 2012, 08:03 PM)
After a few months of nearly constant listening...

Best since Moving Pictures... at least.  Maybe the best, period.

A debatable yet solid view and worthy of your 2112th post.

It is okay for us to put CA up there in the Top 3.....It's that good.

IMO, Clockwork Angels is the best album since Rush has been recording albums.

I've written and deleted this post three times...I couldn't be right, I can't be right... unsure.gif it feels ...... blasphemous. unsure.gif

But, I can't get enough of this album. heart.gif

Let's talk about my favorite studio albums.... I became a fan in 1976 with ATWAS, and never looked back...

My FIRST favorite album is and always will be Caress of Steel...great stuff...It was actually my FIRST Rush Studio album, and I've always loved it!

A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres sort of hit me as a double threat. Of course I had AFTK for a little while before Hemispheres, but they just seemed to make me really happy!

Permanent Waves hit me like a ton of bricks, and that showed me that Rush wasn't all about the epic tunes, and could hit some shorter classics.

Grace Under Pressure came at a time when I needed Rush, and I've always loved that album.

The next album that really struck me was Counterparts, and the fact that they really sold each and every song, made me love the album. Nothing was the same.

Which brings us to Snakes and Arrows, which, really hit a home run for me! Great songs, different themes, and sounds LOVE it! (and I was glad they played most of it live so far)

Clockwork Angels needs to grow on me a little before I really can judge it. Once I hear it live (or what they end up playing live) I'll render a decision upon where it stands within my favorite albums.

Now as a disclaimer...I'm not detracting from the rest of the catalog, but the aforementioned albums always stood out, and seem to hit the rotation more often than not.

I know this is an old thread, but I just don't see why everybody likes CA so much. Now, we all know that being a Rush fan means having to listen to each album at least 5 times to "get it." I've been doing that since GUP. However, I just don't get CA. I don't care for repetitive driving riffs. This is not Rush, but Rush trying to update their sound to match 9 inch nails. IMHO, Personally, I think Vapor Trails was a better balanced album with some really good melodies. I do like The Anarchist and Wish Them Well, but BU2B and Caravan is just to driving to enjoy. Just my personal opinion, mind you.

-Ski

Hello everybody, newbie to the forum first post. For me CA is the best album since Counterparts. I've liked songs from the releases in between but CA and CP are the last two albums that I've enjoyed end to end. I am bothered by the way CA was mixed, but I don't let it detract from the enjoyment of the music.

It's the best since either Signals or P/G. I can take pieces of the albums after them and make a better album than CA but I don't think any of them can hold up to CA by themselves. Interestingly, I'm writing this while watching Time Machine listening to Faithless and what a snoozefest that song and a lot of Snakes really is.
  • Like 2

I'm a huge fan of Counterparts and thought some of their albums after that were lacking a bit. S&A was good but CA is the best since Counterparts.

:clap: