Probably a wise decision Geddy...

EmotionDetector

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 22 2012, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:45 AM)
could you imagine if he actually read all our B.S? it would be embarrassing.

Especially if they read the gushing posts. I think they are used to being blasted by the press, but undue praise could possibly be worse. I mean look at American children who lead the world in self esteem but not any educational category around the world. One does not learn from being coddled. Put an obstacle in one's way then they have no choice but to overcome it.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2012, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 22 2012, 03:15 PM)
The GeminiRising bisexual-three-way-with-a-Rush-member thread leaps immediately to mind.  What if Geddy saw THAT?!?!?!

And I am sure there are threads out there even more outrageous than that particular one.

I must have missed that one...

laugh.gif

me neither... confused13.gif

Interesting thread.

There is a great novel entitled, "Juliet, Naked" by Nick Hornby that reminds me of this forum (as well as some other forums).

Interesting fictional take of die-hard fans from the perspective of the artist.

Worth a read...he also wrote "Hi Fidelity" and "About a Boy", both that were made into movies.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2012, 12:42 PM)
So maybe Now we can stop all the "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?
They don't read this stuff people , move along

rofl3.gif

Dear Alex, Geddy & Neil,

If you have decided to check out this forum, please, I beg of you, please read no further!

So maybe Now we can stop all the  "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?

If anyone couldn't tell that my dear Geddy thread was 100% fiction, I feel sorry for them laugh.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 22 2012, 04:54 PM)
So maybe Now we can stop all the  "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?

rofl3.gif

Dear Alex, Geddy & Neil,

If you have decided to check out this forum, please, I beg of you, please read no further!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 22 2012, 12:47 PM)
That's the way it should be. Even aside from whatever absurd threads get made, even if there were only the most rational discussions taking place on a site like this, it would never be a good idea for any artist to read that stuff, for exactly the reason Geddy states. I don't know why anyone would want it to be different.

I never understood why some people have delusions about the band actually coming on here and reading what we say... fing.gif I've seen it with all kinds of fan forums. On sites about television shows, some people convince themselves that the writers will read the fan sites. I guess it's just that they want to think what they're saying is important, that it will matter somehow.

It actually happens though. As a member of other band forums, I've seen members post quite frequently, and one of my favourite shows' forums hosted a Q&A session with one of the stars. People could ask what they wanted about the show.

It's not too uncommon. But for Rush, I don't see them visiting anything like this.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 10:33 AM)
Here is an excerpt from a recent interview that Ged did with Billy Corgan.

Here is what Geddy had to say about fansites:

... OK. What I do is largely stay away from the sites that talk about our band because there's so much chatter that I don't want to be influenced by. Our fans come to see us, and there's a fair exchange going on in that room. I'm working my ass off for them, and they're hearing the songs they want to hear, hopefully, and showing me some love, throwing it back up on stage to me.

"That's the only thing that I can see as part of my job. If I start mining for opinions on hundreds of websites that have fan forums, I'll be totally distored in my view of myself. I'll lose myself in all that." ...

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made. ohmy.gif

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/smilies/exactly.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 23 2012, 06:56 AM)
I know for a FACT that some of the band do very occasionally visit the forums. They also get feedback from third parties as does Anthem.

As for third parties without question they are in here.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the band didn't visit places like TRF, RIAB and CP, to name a few, just to find out what the fans wanna hear musically. I mean look at all the threads and chatter like "I wanna hear this song", or "why can't they make another record like this one". They obviously gave the fans what they wanted on The Time Machine tour with The Camera Eye (a song they didn't want to do) so I'm guessing they figured that's what we want, let us have it.

Now listen to CA. This record is so full of licks, riffs, affects and homages to their older stuff, and stuff that influenced them it's been called, or seems to be, a rehashing of much of their older material in a new form. I find it clearly written in the music they said, "the fans want this, lets let 'em have it".

Hooray go GeddyFinal.gif

notworthy.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 23 2012, 05:58 AM)
Plus Lee says as much himself:

What I do is largely stay away from the sites that talk about our band

"Largely" does not equal "never".

ohmy.gif

good point!...

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 12:33 PM)

... OK. What I do is largely stay away from the sites that talk about our band because there's so much chatter that I don't want to be influenced by. Our fans come to see us, and there's a fair exchange going on in that room. I'm working my ass off for them, and they're hearing the songs they want to hear, hopefully, and showing me some love, throwing it back up on stage to me.

"That's the only thing that I can see as part of my job. If I start mining for opinions on hundreds of websites that have fan forums, I'll be totally distored in my view of myself. I'll lose myself in all that." ...

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made. ohmy.gif

All 3 have said they dont visit fan sites before, I think somewhere around VT that they dont go on fan sites.

I believe it was in the same interview where they said they dont ever listen to their own music outside of picking songs for a tour.

In fact I specifically remember Geddy saying they are so closed off to what people really think about them that they didnt even realize they were that influential of a band until somewhere around RTB.

They arent fans of the band in the same way we are. It's just something they do for a living and they dont care to read about themselves. I totally get it. I would never want to read what other people say about me if I were in their position. They may be unaware that TRF even exists.

I'm pretty sure that this forum's posts consist primarily of 2.gif themselves with the occasional contribution from outside nerds.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 23 2012, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 12:33 PM)

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made.  ohmy.gif

All 3 have said they dont visit fan sites before, I think somewhere around VT that they dont go on fan sites.

I believe it was in the same interview where they said they dont ever listen to their own music outside of picking songs for a tour.

In fact I specifically remember Geddy saying they are so closed off to what people really think about them that they didnt even realize they were that influential of a band until somewhere around RTB.

They arent fans of the band in the same way we are. It's just something they do for a living and they dont care to read about themselves. I totally get it. I would never want to read what other people say about me if I were in their position. They may be unaware that TRF even exists.

Don't be ridiculous.