Probably a wise decision Geddy...

EmotionDetector

Here is an excerpt from a recent interview that Ged did with Billy Corgan.

Here is what Geddy had to say about fansites:

... OK. What I do is largely stay away from the sites that talk about our band because there's so much chatter that I don't want to be influenced by. Our fans come to see us, and there's a fair exchange going on in that room. I'm working my ass off for them, and they're hearing the songs they want to hear, hopefully, and showing me some love, throwing it back up on stage to me.

"That's the only thing that I can see as part of my job. If I start mining for opinions on hundreds of websites that have fan forums, I'll be totally distored in my view of myself. I'll lose myself in all that." ...

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made. ohmy.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 01:33 PM)

... OK. What I do is largely stay away from the sites that talk about our band because there's so much chatter that I don't want to be influenced by. Our fans come to see us, and there's a fair exchange going on in that room. I'm working my ass off for them, and they're hearing the songs they want to hear, hopefully, and showing me some love, throwing it back up on stage to me.

"That's the only thing that I can see as part of my job. If I start mining for opinions on hundreds of websites that have fan forums, I'll be totally distored in my view of myself. I'll lose myself in all that." ...

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made. ohmy.gif

goodpost.gif

Ged is very wise.

So maybe Now we can stop all the "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?

They don't read this stuff people , move along

That's the way it should be. Even aside from whatever absurd threads get made, even if there were only the most rational discussions taking place on a site like this, it would never be a good idea for any artist to read that stuff, for exactly the reason Geddy states. I don't know why anyone would want it to be different.

I never understood why some people have delusions about the band actually coming on here and reading what we say... fing.gif I've seen it with all kinds of fan forums. On sites about television shows, some people convince themselves that the writers will read the fan sites. I guess it's just that they want to think what they're saying is important, that it will matter somehow.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2012, 12:42 PM)
So maybe Now we can stop all the "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?

Anyone who actually thought that they read these forums, is totally dillusional. They could care less about the negative, know-it all, arrogant crap. Dummy up, people laugh.gif

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 22 2012, 12:47 PM)
That's the way it should be. Even aside from whatever absurd threads get made, even if there were only the most rational discussions taking place on a site like this, it would never be a good idea for any artist to read that stuff, for exactly the reason Geddy states. I don't know why anyone would want it to be different.

I never understood why some people have delusions about the band actually coming on here and reading what we say... fing.gif I've seen it with all kinds of fan forums. On sites about television shows, some people convince themselves that the writers will read the fan sites. I guess it's just that they want to think what they're saying is important, that it will matter somehow.

Interestingly, both Nick and Rich have posted at RIAB and they both have responded to fans there. That was after the HF single release if I'm recalling correctly. That's a rarity though.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Jun 22 2012, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2012, 12:42 PM)
So maybe Now we can stop all the  "Dear Rush " "Dear Neil" ect threads ?

Anyone who actually thought that they read these forums, is totally dillusional. They could care less about the negative, know-it all, arrogant crap. Dummy up, people laugh.gif

Sure sure Alex. wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 22 2012, 10:45 AM)
could you imagine if he actually read all our B.S? it would be embarrassing.

Especially if they read the gushing posts. I think they are used to being blasted by the press, but undue praise could possibly be worse. I mean look at American children who lead the world in self esteem but not any educational category around the world. One does not learn from being coddled. Put an obstacle in one's way then they have no choice but to overcome it.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jun 22 2012, 01:39 PM)

Especially if they read the gushing posts. I think they are used to being blasted by the press, but undue praise could possibly be worse. I mean look at American children who lead the world in self esteem but not any educational category around the world. One does not learn from being coddled. Put an obstacle in one's way then they have no choice but to overcome it.

Oh they know all about fanbois.

Well, Geddy surely has peeked at the Geddy Is Hot posts. laugh.gif

Give credit and criticism where it's due. Problem is that we all disagree on where each is due, so my sense of compliment is you calling said compliment "fanboy gushing". It's ONLY relative to what YOU think.

QUOTE (Karena @ Jun 22 2012, 12:10 PM)

Oh they know all about fanbois.

Well, Geddy surely has peeked at the Geddy Is Hot posts. laugh.gif

^^^ Oh dear God, I hope not!!! blush4.gif blush4.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 22 2012, 10:44 AM)
Geddy is wise. And I would add for him, with the plethora of moronic posts, he would get a distorted view of Rush fans tongue.gif

^^ agree! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 22 2012, 11:09 AM)

I never understood why some people have delusions about the band actually coming on here and reading what we say...  fing.gif I've seen it with all kinds of fan forums. On sites about television shows, some people convince themselves that the writers will read the fan sites. I guess it's just that they want to think what they're saying is important, that it will matter somehow.

Interestingly, both Nick and Rich have posted at RIAB and they both have responded to fans there. That was after the HF single release if I'm recalling correctly. That's a rarity though.

I know Praetorian (Mosbach) used to pop in to Cp once in a while, but not anything recently.

I never understood why some people have delusions about the band actually coming on here and reading what we say...  fing.gif I've seen it with all kinds of fan forums. On sites about television shows, some people convince themselves that the writers will read the fan sites. I guess it's just that they want to think what they're saying is important, that it will matter somehow.

IMO, when people become so attached to something they really like or love, they naturally want to become part of it....to interact with it....even to control it in some way. I think it's human nature.

Just listen to all the pro sports fans in the stands. They're all talking and/or yelling at their favorites players to run a certain play, or do this or that. They're unconsciously expecting the athlete to listen and do as they say!! Even when they're yelling at the TV!! laugh.gif laugh.gif They want to feel like they're part of the team....

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 22 2012, 12:33 PM)

Thank God I'm innocent in this regard...

unsure.gif ph34r.gif

He's worried about getting a distorted view of himself because we often give him extreme adoration, and he may get a big head from it.

But I'd be more worried about him coming here and seeing one of the 'trolls' saying something very derogatory.

The GeminiRising bisexual-three-way-with-a-Rush-member thread leaps immediately to mind. What if Geddy saw THAT?!?!?!

And I am sure there are threads out there even more outrageous than that particular one.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 22 2012, 03:15 PM)
The GeminiRising bisexual-three-way-with-a-Rush-member thread leaps immediately to mind. What if Geddy saw THAT?!?!?!

I remember that thread, and I don't have the words to describe its creepiness. A low point in TRF history, for sure, and if Geddy ever saw it? I can't imagine his thoughts!

And I am sure there are threads out there even more outrageous than that particular one.

I must have missed that one...

laugh.gif

i never saw the thread on that and glad i never did. what a disgrace.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 22 2012, 03:15 PM)

Needless to say, it's probably best that none of them come here when I think of some of the crazy threads that get made.  ohmy.gif

He's worried about getting a distorted view of himself because we often give him extreme adoration, and he may get a big head from it.

But I'd be more worried about him coming here and seeing one of the 'trolls' saying something very derogatory.

Yeah this!

yes.gif