String Section

losingit2k

How do you prefer the String section on stage?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer the String section on stage?

• Sitting down in the center
    • Sitting down off to the sides
    • Sitting down off stage with a camera on them
    • In a pit infront of the stage
    • In a semi circle behind Neil
    • In a semi circle behind Alex
    • in a Semi circle behind Geddy
    • Standing and walking around interacting with the guys
    • Standing in the center
    • Standing off to the sides
    • I dont want a string section at all
    • They are touring with a string section? OMG!

I prefer them sitting on chairs............in their House !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On top of the giant clock that will be the main set piece for this tour.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 22 2012, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2012, 05:18 PM)
glad i'm not going to the first few shows.  those guys will be the guinea pigs until they work everything out.  tongue.gif

They have three month, I think they'll have everything worked out just fine on Opening night!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Even so, there is no telling how the crowds are going to react to the presence of strings in each venue. There are a lot of casual fans and people who go to concerts just to see a "classic" rock band do their classic thing. During S&A show in NH I observed many people getting quiet or impatient while the band played songs from S&A.

If the placement of the string players disrupts the seating or view especially for those who paid so much money for close floor seats, it might not be good. Things can go wrong and Rush isnt perfect, this is an experiment.

Why do any of you think that the string section will up-stage the band? They will Not be in front of, or block the view of the band. Come on, get real and use some common sense. Sorry, I just don't understand why anyone would think the strings would be up stage of the band.

Also don't understand the complaints about bringing the strings on tour. They're on the record and part of the songs.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 25 2012, 06:06 PM)
Why do any of you think that the string section will up-stage the band? They will Not be in front of, or block the view of the band. Come on, get real and use some common sense. Sorry, I just don't understand why anyone would think the strings would be up stage of the band.

Also don't understand the complaints about bringing the strings on tour. They're on the record and part of the songs.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 25 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 25 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 24 2012, 10:41 PM)
no string section at all! It's Rush...

Sorry Dud, Its going to happen and you know what...

Its still 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

If you got a nickel for every time you guessed something correctly, you'd have the equivalent of a dime...or less. pokey.gif

In this economy, I would take it. Besides I could still out bid you.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 26 2012, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 25 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 25 2012, 12:50 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 24 2012, 10:41 PM)
no string section at all! It's Rush...

Sorry Dud, Its going to happen and you know what...

Its still 2.gif !

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

If you got a nickel for every time you guessed something correctly, you'd have the equivalent of a dime...or less. pokey.gif

In this economy, I would take it. Besides I could still out bid you.

tongue.gif

How? By guessing a thousand times what the setlist will be?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 25 2012, 07:47 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 24 2012, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 24 2012, 08:57 PM)
THey are Rush...not the Moody Blues. No strings! Please...no strings!

Dude wishing for no strings isn't going to make them change their minds. They have already decided to tour with string, the only question is where and in what form?

confused13.gif

Why do you keep going back at those who simply don't want strings?

It's no surprise that there are people who don't want to see it at all. This is a rock concert, and the trio kills it live. No need to clutter up the stage with more people. It's a valid opinion.

If you really didn't want people picking that option...you should've just left it off this poll, right?

Thank you. I was hoping there was someone who who would say this. Just because they say they are going to do something doesn't mean that we should all be completely on board. Also, if he didn't want people picking it, it should have been off the list.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 24 2012, 10:21 PM)

Dude wishing for no strings isn't going to make them change their minds. They have already decided to tour with string, the only question is where and in what form?

confused13.gif

Where does it say that it is definite? I read the article and Lifeson states, "It is out intention..." This has changed in the past regarding things that Lifeson says (with no offense intended to Lifeson). So, I don't see where they have already decided. If they have, fine. I for one hope they have not. You can wish for what you want and I wish you well. For me...I hope there are no strings.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 26 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 24 2012, 10:21 PM)

confused13.gif

Where does it say that it is definite? I read the article and Lifeson states, "It is out intention..." This has changed in the past regarding things that Lifeson says (with no offense intended to Lifeson). So, I don't see where they have already decided. If they have, fine. I for one hope they have not. You can wish for what you want and I wish you well. For me...I hope there are no strings.

It seems really likely though since Geddy has said in the past he would like to do something like this. And what Geddy wants.....

I don't think it is that they will upstage the band, it is that IMO they do not belong there. I love the symphony. I love Mahler, Ives, and Stravinsky. That being said, I don't want strings at the show and apparently I am not alone. Rush will sound great. Strings will probably sound great. At a big hockey arena...probably not.

Edited by micgtr71

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 27 2012, 09:53 AM)

I don't think it is that they will upstage the band, it is that IMO they do not belong there. I love the symphony. I love Mahler, Ives, and Stravinsky. That being said, I don't want strings at the show and apparently I am not alone. Rush will sound great. Strings will probably sound great. At a big hockey arena...probably not.

Yeah, I'm guessing that most of the people that don't want the strings DON'T think that Rush will be upstaged but rather simply: they don't want to see anyone else near that stage besides the band itself. I said in another thread that I was surprised that there were so many people who WANTED a string section up there.

As for me, whatever gives them the best sound, I'm all for it. But it would be somewhat of a shock to see other people up there playing instruments.

So I don't post much, but this thought crossed my mind today: I think it would be cool to dress the string section in steampunk attire.

They would compliment the stage craft and help them "blend."

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 08:10 PM)
we don't need a string section. Record all the parts like they do with all the backup vocals/harmonies....

sure they don't need a string section but that's the way they are going so the best we can hope for is keeping the orchestra out of the main field of view.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 1 2012, 07:35 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 1 2012, 08:10 PM)
we don't need a string section. Record all the parts like they do with all the backup vocals/harmonies....

sure they don't need a string section but that's the way they are going so the best we can hope for is keeping the orchestra out of the main field of view.

yes sir....agree...

Opted for the o Not Want.......

Seriously - Is there a secret prize for the dumbest thread started on TRF? If so, can I start "How many times a day do you think Lerxst farts?" threaf?

2.gif

They're going to be on risers behind the amps on either side of the drum kit. The risers will lift to bring the string section into view.

There may also some sound proofing (clear plexiglass type) to block out some of the vibrations caused by heavy drumming. As long as the kit is is slightly in front of the string section, no barrier may be needed.

Their music stands will be monitors with cues to keep them in synch w/o a conductor. They may wear some type of ear monitor if necessary-- though it would look odd if they all wore 'cans' -- big studio headphones.

And how we the fans 'prefer' the sting section is irrelevant. It's how the professional musicians gauge will be best for the performance.

I believe RUSH will show the professional musicians much respect and acknowledge them at every show.

I hope they are paid well and treated with high regard.

This is a first for RUSH.

They believe it's important part of the music they want to be playing today, and, as a fan, I respect and support that.

Yes, it was for THEM not Me, that they came to write this song.