am i the only one...

liddybuck01

i have absolutely no idea what the story is in Clockwork Angels. i haven't read the lyrics at all, i don't know the story, don't know the symbols and what they mean, etc.

anyone want to fill me in? or should i just say "screw it" and enjoy the tunes? laugh.gif

you just read it....

I really haven't paid too much attention to the story because I don't think it matter. The songs stand pretty soundly on their own. The story neither hurts nor helps my personal enjoyment.

It sincerely does help to read the lyrics and the text that precedes each song, that is unless you don't care about understanding the story. It doesn't take long, and it really did enhance my enjoyment and comprehension of the concept and the journey the hero of the story takes.

I thought the Watchmaker character was a homage to Dan Spitz, former guitar player in Anthrax, who left the band in 1993 and moved to Switzerland to learn the craft of watchmaking?? confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 22 2012, 02:23 AM)
I thought the Watchmaker character was a homage to Dan Spitz, former guitar player in Anthrax, who left the band in 1993 and moved to Switzerland to learn the craft of watchmaking?? confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

HA!

If you read along with the lyric sheet during one of your listens, the story will become clearer.

After that, if you listen a lot, it'll become clearer still.

If you catch what Neil told DJ Jim Ladd about the story, it becomes (pretty much) completely clear. All you'll be missing after that is the fine details Kevin Anderson adds to his novel. (I think there are links to the audio of the Peart-Ladd radio interview, and somebody here transcribed the part where Neil talks about CA's story.)

When we all read the novel, it'll be entirely clear and then some.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 21 2012, 10:35 PM)
i have absolutely no idea what the story is in Clockwork Angels. i haven't read the lyrics at all, i don't know the story, don't know the symbols and what they mean, etc.

anyone want to fill me in? or should i just say "screw it" and enjoy the tunes? laugh.gif

Go read the lyrics. You could do worse with your time.

But if you want the abridged version, it's about a young man's journey from Milan to Minsk. Basically Peart plagiarized Rochelle Rochelle.

I am in the category of not taking time to understand the story. This is quite different from any Rush release before. How does it compare to the Shakespearean type tragedy of 2112?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 22 2012, 05:10 AM)
If you read along with the lyric sheet during one of your listens, the story will become clearer.

After that, if you listen a lot, it'll become clearer still.

If you catch what Neil told DJ Jim Ladd about the story, it becomes (pretty much) completely clear.  All you'll be missing after that is the fine details Kevin Anderson adds to his novel.  (I think there are links to the audio of the Peart-Ladd radio interview, and somebody here transcribed the part where Neil talks about CA's story.)

When we all read the novel, it'll be entirely clear and then some.

good post GR.

I'm always amazed at the type of posts above where people don't read the lyrics. I am not judging mind you, but I would say you are doing it wrong! laugh.gif

Having done this for 36 years now you learn. In the old days I would be waiting at the record store for the album to arrive, and if not the nearest place I could get it if I was working. You rip open the package and start looking and reading everything to get the flavor. Then you read the lyrics as you play it. If this isn't possible you do it as soon as it is.

Even after a week and about 20 listens I find myself re-reading the lyrics occasionally to pick up words or lines that I can't understand Geddy saying. It's "words and music" together that make it most enjoyable.

Being able to sing along with Geddy, at least in your mind, is paramount to loving Rush.

It's not to say that you can't still love them, but if you are going around singing, "Modern Day Warrior, mean mean pride, today's Tom Sawyer, mean mean PIE. You are doing it WRONG! laugh.gif

Edited by Running Rebel

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 22 2012, 06:36 AM)
I'm always amazed at the type of posts above where people don't read the lyrics. I am not judging mind you, but I would say you are doing it wrong! laugh.gif

Having done this for 36 years now you learn. In the old days I would be waiting at the record store for the album to arrive, and if not the nearest place I could get it if I was working. You rip open the package and start looking and reading everything to get the flavor. Then you read the lyrics as you play it. If this isn't possible you do it as soon as it is.

Even after a week and about 20 listens I find myself re-reading the lyrics occasionally to pick up words or lines that I can't understand Geddy saying. It's "words and music" together that make it most enjoyable.

I'm with ya, completely.

I've been wondering for the past two hours how to respond to the two posters above - and another poster in another thread - who all seem to take glee from remaining in the dark about the lyrics. WTF?!?!

It's just not my way, and I don't understand their way. This is Rush - both the music and the lyrics are deeper than in most other bands. These folks will tell you they love Rush because of the complexity of the music, but then tell you they'd prefer to ignore the lyrics completely. Folks, just like the complex music turns you on, so too would the complicated lyrics... if you'd just look into them a bit!

I'm not trying to say the lyrics are more important than the music - they're not; the music is really something special, too - but in my opinion, delving into the lyrics enhances the overall Rush experience, and fans who DON'T are depriving themselves of that great experience. Their loss, I guess. But I thank my stars I'm not that way. wink.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 22 2012, 07:19 AM)
QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 22 2012, 06:36 AM)
I'm always amazed at the type of posts above where people don't read the lyrics.  I am not judging mind you, but I would say you are doing it wrong!  laugh.gif

Having done this for 36 years now you learn.  In the old days I would be waiting at the record store for the album to arrive, and if not the nearest place I could get it if I was working.  You rip open the package and start looking and reading everything to get the flavor.  Then you read the lyrics as you play it.  If this isn't possible you do it as soon as it is.

Even after a week and about 20 listens I find myself re-reading the lyrics occasionally to pick up words or lines that I can't understand Geddy saying.  It's "words and music" together that make it most enjoyable.

I'm with ya, completely.

I've been wondering for the past two hours how to respond to the two posters above - and another poster in another thread - who all seem to take glee from remaining in the dark about the lyrics. WTF?!?!

It's just not my way, and I don't understand their way. This is Rush - both the music and the lyrics are deeper than in most other bands. These folks will tell you they love Rush because of the complexity of the music, but then tell you they'd prefer to ignore the lyrics completely. Folks, just like the complex music turns you on, so too would the complicated lyrics... if you'd just look into them a bit!

I'm not trying to say the lyrics are more important than the music - they're not; the music is really something special, too - but in my opinion, delving into the lyrics enhances the overall Rush experience, and fans who DON'T are depriving themselves of that great experience. Their loss, I guess. But I thank my stars I'm not that way. wink.gif

I see your point, and also Running Rebel's. But lately I've been so busy, that it's hard to find time to read the lyrics properly. At the same time, I don't want to wait to hear the album only after I've read the lyrics.

Anyway, I find CA to be one of the best albums Rush has ever made, probably the best since HYF. I assume this impression will be even more clear when I read the lyrics and understand the story.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 21 2012, 10:50 PM)
I really haven't paid too much attention to the story because I don't think it matter. The songs stand pretty soundly on their own. The story neither hurts nor helps my personal enjoyment.

goodpost.gif and count me in as someone that has No desire to get the book , Neils voice or not

I had no idea about the story. I finally read the notes too days ago......I' m lazy. anyway, Didn't make it better or worse. It's still music for me. Story...meh i Don't need one Neil laugh.gif

Mick

With 2112 all I needed to do was separate the sticks and stems on the gatefold sleeve and stare at the images;

the vocals were clear enough to understand and you only had to read along to pick up a word here or there. Ditto the next dozen albums.

With this one you have to read along, because it sounds like Geddy was recorded through one of Neil's cymbal mics. Nice jams, though.

QUOTE (liddybuck01 @ Jun 21 2012, 10:35 PM)

liddybuck01, if you really want the story behind the story you can check out this thread:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75115

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2012, 07:48 AM)
It sincerely does help to read the lyrics and the text that precedes each song, that is unless you don't care about understanding the story. It doesn't take long, and it really did enhance my enjoyment and comprehension of the concept and the journey the hero of the story takes.

goodpost.gif