Listening to A New Album When You're Crabby

Principled Man

When I first got the album, I was tired, crabby, still getting over a cold, and just generally out of sorts. Thru the first couple of spins, I was rather put off by it....I was even worried that I would reject it entirely. wacko.gif wacko.gif Shame on me..... dazed025.gif dazed025.gif

But then I got rested up, feeling better, cleared my head. 1022.gif 1022.gif

I can't stop playing it. It's a freekin work of genius. There's only one song that I skip (Wish Them Well), and even that has some very good moments. As traditional concept albums/rock operas go, it's magnificent. It's a prog-rock MASTERPIECE. Even though Geddy's vocals do annoy me here and there, I can see the brilliance of the story, the musical ideas, all of it.....

It truly IS their finest work in a very long time. They could have easily botched it, being it was their first attempt at a full-fledged concept album....but they did not. They pitched a near perfect game..... yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

If I could only skip one song - it would be BU2B2... Wish Them Well has really grown on me. I didn't care for it much at first either. Maybe because I am annoyed with my Aunt and cousins... and this message really hits home laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 21 2012, 03:49 PM)
If I could only skip one song - it would be BU2B2... Wish Them Well has really grown on me. I didn't care for it much at first either. Maybe because I am annoyed with my Aunt and cousins... and this message really hits home laugh.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif I wish I could have a good excuse like that....

The vocals on Wish Them Well really bug me. Geddy's high-voiced backing vocals are just too much for me. Too repetitive. Just too many vocals in general...it's an overload. If I have any real criticsm of the album, it would be the massive vocals......it can be overwhelming.... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

ohmy.gif 'Wish Them Well' is probably my favourite song from CA right now! And the high backing vocals is one of my favourite parts of the song...!

Anyway, I know what you mean about listening to a new album when cranky - a few days ago I was excited and ready to listen to CA for the third time, but my boyfriend and I got into an argument, and I ultimately decided that I was not in a good mood to listen to it, as I didn't want my negativity to overshadow what should be a positive experience and ruin it. I'm glad I listened to myself - when I was feeling better the next day I popped the album on and had a great listen!

QUOTE (Mika @ Jun 21 2012, 04:12 PM)
ohmy.gif 'Wish Them Well' is probably my favourite song from CA right now! And the high backing vocals is one of my favourite parts of the song...!

Hmmm.....this could be a guy/girl thing..... Are Geddy's high backing vocals not "manly enough" for me...??? Hmmm.......... confused13.gif confused13.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 21 2012, 03:49 PM)

To me, BU2B2 is not even a song.....more like a soliloquy

I find it astounding that Geddy actually sounds "youthful" in his vocal delivery in WTW...there's a spunk in the verses that remind me of g/p or PoW...and the "Thank your stars you're not that way..." part sounds new and fresh. or something...

...well, to me at least after many listens. Anyone else hear what I mean?

unsure.gif

I agree - I went through the exact same thing.

I first listened to it when I wasn't really in a very good mood and I was in the middle of something else I wanted to listen to and didn't enjoy it all that much.

After the third play or so, it just 'clicked' and now I love it.

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 21 2012, 05:40 PM)
The only vocal complaint I have is the final "As if to fly" in "Clockwork Angels". For some reason it bugs me.

Doesnt bug me! laugh.gif That's my favorite track off CA! cool.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Jun 21 2012, 09:20 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Jun 21 2012, 05:40 PM)
The only vocal complaint I have is the final "As if to fly" in "Clockwork Angels". For some reason it bugs me.

Doesnt bug me! laugh.gif That's my favorite track off CA! cool.gif

It's my favorite track too. Despite the "as if to fly" that doesn't quite sound right to me.