Best RUSH drumming albums?

treeduck

For me it has to be Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Test For Echo.

Test For Echo may not be the best album but it has some great drumming on it and the sound quality of the drums I think may be the best of any album. They sound powerful and they sound like drums should.

The other two I think may be Neil at his physical peak combined with his most creative album performances.

Hemispheres by all means.

If you're talking Tour de force, Neil has already admitted that he'd never do an album like Hemispheres again. Which is good, because La Villa Strangiato broke my balls smile.gif

But I have to say 2112 is no slouch either.

Finally, Farewell to Kings has some chops that were difficult to play for me to this day.

Spirit of Radio (Jacob's ladder in particular) is challenging.

Just goes on and on. Best doesn't end. It's more like "what's new" with Peart.

Hemi -Signals -M.P.

QUOTE (Captain Avatar @ Jun 24 2012, 09:36 PM)
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Power Windows
Clockwork Angels

yes.gif

But I would also add T4E - it has some fantastic drumming in it and, as previously noted, it *sounds* like drums are supposed to sound.

QUOTE (default236 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:37 AM)
Let's not forget Counterparts. NeilFinal.gif

Gotta disagree here. Peart himself has stated that he felt his drumming had become stale on Counterparts, and that's when he opted to re-invent his style by studying with Freddie Gruber.

Personally, I really like Counterparts as a whole, including Neil's playing, but from a technical perspective his drumming was pretty straight-ahead on that record.

To me, as many others have stated in this thread, Hemispheres was probably when he hit his peak. The title track alone is a great example - the complex patterns he's playing here are unbelievable, even by today's drumming standards.

QUOTE (Literatii @ Jun 21 2012, 08:03 PM)
If you're talking Tour de force, Neil has already admitted that he'd never do an album like Hemispheres again. Which is good, because La Villa Strangiato broke my balls smile.gif

But I have to say 2112 is no slouch either.

Finally, Farewell to Kings has some chops that were difficult to play for me to this day.

Spirit of Radio (Jacob's ladder in particular) is challenging.

Just goes on and on. Best doesn't end. It's more like "what's new" with Peart.

goodpost.gif

Jacobs ladder was harder to learn for me than LaVilla was. The time signatures is what killed me. i gave up counting it out when i was younger and just "learned it".

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Power Windows.

No one should discount Power Windows. (Big Money/Territories).

Put Hold Your Fire in for good measure.

And then remember that all Rush albums starting with Fly By Night have great drumming.