Odd occurance in headlong flight

UltimoGuitarist

Anyone else bothered by this at all?

Basically, at 2:41 - 2:46, there is no drum roll lead up into the next verse at all. No big deal...whatevs, it doesnt seem like Peart at all NOT to put something there but that's fine. But at LEAST put some kind of dominant cymbal crash at the beginning of the verse to kick it off with some power. Instead it just seems like he starts rocking the verse right on the highhat.

Was this a recording error or something maybe?

I noticed it, but I'm sure it was just a choice he made. Not everything needs a flashy drum fill - the previous time he did put one in, and a great one at that, so that time he probably just wanted to let it breathe a little and mix it up.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 20 2012, 04:13 PM)
I noticed it, but I'm sure it was just a choice he made. Not everything needs a flashy drum fill - the previous time he did put one in, and a great one at that, so that time he probably just wanted to let it breathe a little and mix it up.

Yeah I agree with that. Sometimes simple is best. I love the drum fill he did on the other lead-up to the verse. It was placed on an odd beat and landed right on the money (obviously) and I love it. But yeah, the first one is just so blaw. I realize it's meant to showcase Alex doing the riff, but all I'm saying is at LEAST give us a big boom on the entrance to the verse. Like a deadly cymbal crash. Maybe for the live show a bomb like in Far Cry will go off and I'll be satisfied. =p

Oh fer christ sake........what next?

wacko.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 20 2012, 08:04 PM)

Basically, at 2:41 - 2:46, there is no drum roll lead up into the next verse at all. No big deal...whatevs, it doesnt seem like Peart at all NOT to put something there but that's fine. But at LEAST put some kind of dominant cymbal crash at the beginning of the verse to kick it off with some power. Instead it just seems like he starts rocking the verse right on the highhat.

More likely a result of Nick R's "conducting"

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 20 2012, 05:01 PM)

owned.

I disagree as I like that part the way it is (focusing on the guitar).

However, I'm surprised there isn't a little fill at ~1:03 as that spot seems perfect for one. But the moment of restraint adds to the song's variety.

QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 20 2012, 02:30 PM)
However, I'm surprised there isn't a little fill at ~1:03 as that spot seems perfect for one. But the moment of restraint adds to the song's variety.

@1:03 is right in the middle of the verse. No fill needed there for sure.

As for the 2:41 - 2:46 part, it's perfect as it. The notes you don't play are the most important in music.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 20 2012, 03:54 PM)

wacko.gif

This is great detailed analysis of the song, and quite a few people have something to say about it. It's something I've noticed as well. So yeah, not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that post.

Yes I picked up on that too, and it feels kind of empty there.

Edited by NYM86

QUOTE (Terrapin @ Jun 20 2012, 04:01 PM)

maestro nick tongue.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 20 2012, 01:54 PM)

wacko.gif

laugh.gif

those were pretty much my thoughts as well.

i briefly considered going to listen to the song to see what on earth the OP was talking about, but to quote our british friends from across the pond, "i couldn't be arsed." tongue.gif

One of the best aspects of Rush's music is their use of space. Not making any sounds at certain points in the song can be more powerful than making sounds.

That brief "lull in the action" really added emphasis to the beginning of the next verse ("All the treasures...."). I think it's one of the best parts of the song..... 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 05:06 PM)
The notes you don't play are the most important in music.

Damned straight. What does all the crap pop-rock of today have in common? Constant noise......constant bang crash, chord bashing, cymbals, noise, noise, NOISE!! The listeners' ears don't have a chance......

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Jun 20 2012, 09:57 PM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 05:06 PM)
The notes you don't play are the most important in music.

Damned straight. What does all the crap pop-rock of today have in common? Constant noise......constant bang crash, chord bashing, cymbals, noise, noise, NOISE!! The listeners' ears don't have a chance......

It is what it is...................

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (deslock @ Jun 20 2012, 02:30 PM)
However, I'm surprised there isn't a little fill at ~1:03 as that spot seems perfect for one.  But the moment of restraint adds to the song's variety.

@1:03 is right in the middle of the verse. No fill needed there for sure.

As for the 2:41 - 2:46 part, it's perfect as it. The notes you don't play are the most important in music.

Yeah you're right, never really noticed the 1:03 spot, that does sound off, but not enough for me to make a case of it.

Anyways, as I've said about MY mentioned section, I have no issue with there not being some fancy ass fill there. It would be nice, but that's not the main issue. I just feel that at the very least they could have made a more obvious cymbal crash on the beginning of the verse. It just doesn't provide any UMPH to the beginning of the next part. Just seems weak that's all. I think there is a crash there, but its barely audible for some reason. So, it's almost as if the intent was there, but just ignored in recording.

Maybe Neil missed. Yeah that's gotta be it. =p *comes to ridiculous conclusion on my own*