Clockwork Angels Debuts at #2

Jag2112

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 10:37 AM)
Nice to see the strong sales too... hope they can stay in the Top 10 for a while...

History is against us. Rush albums often have strong initial sales, as all us diehard fans run out to get the new album right away... and then sales plummet quickly, because we all have it already.

There usually isn't enough business from "casual fans" and the curious, who've heard the music on the radio (new Rush is seldom ON the radio!) to keep the new Rush album high on the charts.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2012, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 10:37 AM)
Nice to see the strong sales too... hope they can stay in the Top 10 for a while...

History is against us. Rush albums often have strong initial sales, as all us diehard fans run out to get the new album right away... and then sales plummet quickly, because we all have it already.

There usually isn't enough business from "casual fans" and the curious, who've heard the music on the radio (new Rush is seldom ON the radio!) to keep the new Rush album high on the charts.

No doubt.

Looking back over the last two albums, here's what happened:

Snakes & Arrows debut position: #3

Week 2: #20

Week 3: #35

Week 4: #51

Week 5: #61

Week 6: #77

Week 7: #78

It dropped out of the Top 200 after 15 weeks (not too bad).

Vapor Trails debut position: #6

Week 2: #29

Week 3: #43

Week 4: #66

Week 5: #77

So let's see how CA fares over the next few weeks...

Here is what I posted back in mid-May about this very topic:

-----------------------------

Week 1: #3

Week 2: #24

Week 3: #68

Week 4: #97

Week 5: out of the top 100 forever

Neither VT nor SnA have gone Gold yet in the US...not expecting this one to either.

Just the way it is (...he states with complete confidence but no real proof and will glady accept being proved wrong...)

-----------------------------------------

CA has already outperformed my Week 1 prediction, but I still think it's going to follow the well-established arc for previous Rush albums. Rush fans buy quickly.

Usher can suck m....

*regains composure*

Anyway, while #2 in no way has the same esteem and regard as #1 does, meaning it will totally escape the notice of almost everyone other than Rush fans, as usual, it's still pretty impressive.

Am I happy about it? Kind of. #1 would have made me insanely happy.

I don't really think going gold for an album means what it used to as the only real way back in the day to get a good quality copy was to buy the album or maybe make a cassette copy of a friend's. Nowadays there are so many other avenues to "steal" the music in good quality form or in a form that quality isn't an issue that most non diehard fans will simply do that and put in on an IPOD without caring about the packaging thus the sales numbers do not reflect how many actually have the album - IMO

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 11:58 AM)
applaudit.gif Bravo Rush. And Bravo Rush fans. Nice showing. Usher.. harrumph! You can't spell Usher without Rush, homie. Remember that! :inyourface:

LOL! Good one! rofl3.gif

I was doing a little research but w/o success. Was wondering what the #1 album was for 5/29, the original release date for CA, and what were the sales for that #1. Would Rush have had their first #1 if they stuck with 5/29, assuming similar 103K sales?

It will be out of the top 200 in a month

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 12:20 PM)
I was doing a little research but w/o success. Was wondering what the #1 album was for 5/29, the original release date for CA, and what were the sales for that #1. Would Rush have had their first #1 if they stuck with 5/29, assuming similar 103K sales?

I was looking this over as well and I'm almost certain Rush would have only needed to contend with Adele's 21 -- and I don't think she sold in excess of 100K that week.

So - #1 was in the bag, but it wasn't meant to be...

If this would have happened before 1991, it would have mattered wink.gif There is a shitload of music coming out in the next few weeks, enjoy people

QUOTE (Jag2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 12:20 PM)

I was looking this over as well and I'm almost certain Rush would have only needed to contend with Adele's 21 -- and I don't think she sold in excess of 100K that week.

So - #1 was in the bag, but it wasn't meant to be...

Roadrunner may have not known about Ushers release date until too late, since I read he was making his album almost as long as Rush took with CA.. but it makes me want to shout ROADRUNNER while shaking my fist.

Does it really matter? I doubt too many people showed up at the record store with $15 in their hand and had an internal debate about if they should buy the new Usher or Rush album. I don't think they share much of a fan base!

Although now I want to cut & splice Ushers vocals of Rush's instrumentals songs and call it Rusher.

QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 20 2012, 11:45 AM)
I still think it's going to follow the well-established arc for previous Rush albums. Rush fans buy quickly.

yes.gif That's it.

Us diehards buy it immediately, skyrocket the album up the charts, and then it plummets fast because diehards all have it and nobody else is interested.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 20 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (The Mighty Dudad @ Jun 20 2012, 11:45 AM)
I still think it's going to follow the well-established arc for previous Rush albums. Rush fans buy quickly.

yes.gif That's it.

Us diehards buy it immediately, skyrocket the album up the charts, and then it plummets fast because diehards all have it and nobody else is interested.

And the depressing thing is Usher will probably stay high on the charts for a long time ( 062802puke_prv.gif ). I can safely say without having heard a single note, that it's not 100th the album that Clockwork Angels is.