I tried and failed...

Jmo2112

I am failing miserably at taking a break from listening to Clockwork Angels. This was going to be my blackout week and I lasted less than a day.

Way harder to do than it was with Snakes and Arrows.

Anyone else having this problem? <----(I know, file under stupid questions).

I'm afraid of burning myself out on it before they tour this fall. :/

Just think about all of Neil's stock fills and Alex's anemic uninspired playing, as you put it. Concentrate on that. Those thoughts should cause you to put it away for at least a couple days wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 20 2012, 08:43 AM)
Just think about all of Neil's stock fills and Alex's anemic uninspired playing, as you put it. Concentrate on that. Those thoughts should cause you to put it away for at least a couple days wink.gif laugh.gif

Even with those things considered I can't do it! Bear in mind that I can critique Alex and Neil and still love them and what they do. After being a Rush fan for so many years I think it's natural to have favorite eras, producers, playing etc.

Part of becoming an adult is recognizing that the world is not black and white but grey. I won't slavishly praise everything about Rush if I see/hear things that I wish were better or different. In fact I feel like the fans who believe Rush "can do no wrong" (or who attack or intimidate those who critique them) are just as bad as the trolls.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 08:53 AM)

Even with those things considered I can't do it! Bear in mind that I can critique Alex and Neil and still love them and what they do. After being a Rush fan for so many years I think it's natural to have favorite eras, producers, playing etc.

Part of becoming an adult is recognizing that the world is not black and white but grey. I won't slavishly praise everything about Rush if I see/hear things that I wish were better or different. In fact I feel like the fans who believe Rush "can do no wrong" (or who attack or intimidate those who critique them) are just as bad as the trolls.

Oh.. I see. unsure.gif

applaudit.gif

Yeah, I haven't gone one day without listening to it. But I don't think I'm burning myself out on it. I still can't go a day without listening to Hemispheres, and I have had that CD for 2 years now. I think the more you listen to an album the more you find little things that you never noticed before.

But the best thing is, Rush's music isn't boring.

P.S. I said anemic *solos* not playing. Misquoting is obnoxious. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 08:31 AM)
I am failing miserably at taking a break from listening to Clockwork Angels. This was going to be my blackout week and I lasted less than a day.

I have not listen to any new RUSH release more than CA since MOVING PICTURES..

The fans that left after MP should listen to at least 1 spin and I guarantee you they will be back! It has that 70's RUSH flare all over this album....Some people think they should have been more risky but why? I think they went back to their roots for this album and put out a great product...

I think the boys want to get some of the old fans back and this one definately does it....It has FLY BY NIGHT, CARESS, 2112, KINGS, HEMISPHERS, PERMANENT WAVES AND MP all over this disc....The fans that left back in 82 loved that type of RUSH sound, now granted with a more modern sound but the roots are certainly there...I heard a little of that on Snakes as FAR CRY and SPINDRIFT had the 70's flare with especially FAR CRY having the classic HEMISPHERES sound in the song...

I didn't hear the 70's RUSH in VT, TEST FOR ECHO, or anything else prior going back to SIGNALS when they started to change their style....The other after MP was changed to the style of music of the time....80's,90's an 00's.....This one goes back to the 70's IMO....

And I love the clock of 9:12pm on the cover.....2112 in military time! Another 70s reference!

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:01 AM)

Oh.. I see. Sorry about that. When you complained about his "solos/tone", I thought you meant two different things. Normally when you use a slash, you don't use it while talking about two of the same exact things.

smilies-8579.png You're obnoxiuos!

062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 20 2012, 09:21 AM)

smilies-8579.png You're obnoxiuos!

062802puke_prv.gif

If posting my honest opinion is obnoxious then I am guilty as charged. tongue.gif

The great thing for me is that I'm really trying to limit myself a bit on the number of listens, and I do crave more...so obviously this album is connecting with me in a big way.

I was getting a bit concerned with the early released tracks. Songs like Caravan and Headlong Flight are solid, but after a few listens, I'm good for a while. Other tracks are calling out to me...can't seem to get enough. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 06:31 AM)

Me to!!