too long?

circumstantial tree

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 19 2012, 06:42 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 19 2012, 05:02 PM)
And no, it's not as easy to skip songs since, in order to do that means getting my lazy ass out of the rocker/recliner chair I sit in when I listen to music. common001.gif

Your complaint is based on the fact that you haven't incorporated 1985 remote control technology into your listening set up.

laugh.gif

yes.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh, I had just the opposite thought on the album. I've never had a 55 minute albumm go by so quick. Now Vapor Trails...there's an album that was too damn long. Even more, it was an album I wish had never been made...all of it is poop. Clockwork Angels is a masterwork.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 19 2012, 11:18 AM)
I like the album, but it seems too long to me. If it were shorter, I think it would be better.

Shut up already!........ It is what it is--and forever............

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Jun 19 2012, 08:41 PM)
For the most part they make 5, 6, 7 minute songs go by pretty quick. That's a testament to their songwriting ability I'd say.

Yeah, I went running today for the first time in about a month after messing my knee up so I wasn't expecting to do more than a mile or so. I put the album on and the songs go by so fast that the next thing I know, Carnies is over and I'm thinking ".... maybe I should stop. Halo Effect is a good cool-down song." I am going to be hurting in the morning! sad.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 19 2012, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 19 2012, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 19 2012, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 19 2012, 01:31 PM)
I'm speaking about the overall length of the CD. 66 minutes is probably a bit too long to listen to it. Since I love "The Garden" the most, it's a good thing it's the last tune, because if it weren't, I'm not sure I'd listen to songs that would come after it.

The length of the songs themselves doesn't bother me. In fact, I'd been hoping they'd do some 7 minute songs.

And since I am not interested in the overall story, cutting out a few songs wouldn't have ruined for me.

40 to 50 minute CDs are ideal, in my opinion.

This kind of complaint can never possibly make sense to me.

At the point you're tired of listening press Stop.

If you don't like a track, press Next.

I don't love every song on every album, but I don't begrudge their existence. Somebody likes it.

And having a shorter album (restriction of the medium or self-discipline) ensures NOTHING. For instance, what if the band did that and took off songs that you liked more for ones you liked less? There's no guarantee that they'd edit down an album the same way you would. That just means you get through a mediocre or poor album quicker...but if it's good, it means you get more goodness.

trink39.gif

Thanks; that's what I was saying earlier. In keeping the album shorter, the guys could insist on including a song (or songs) you hate, while dumping a song you would've liked had you known about it. It's easy to say an album would've been better "without these two songs I hate," but who's to say those are the very two songs the band doesn't include when trying to make the album shorter??

Stop making sense. That's not what this thread is about dazed025.gif

"I like it but it's too long"

I can't really wrap my brain around this..

does your CD player have a stop button? just curious..

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jun 19 2012, 08:47 PM)
"I like it but it's too long"

I can't really wrap my brain around this..

does your CD player have a stop button? just curious..

I guess this has been brought up already. I should have read the thread before posting... lol

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:27 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 19 2012, 01:45 PM)
many of us agree that HYF is excellent

Define "many."

tongue.gif

I like it a lot, but I like the stuff live better

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 19 2012, 07:34 PM)
yes, could've been trimmed down by 3 or 4 songs....

Well,

If that's the case. Why even make an album? The boy's are pushing sixty years of age. There giving us some awesome music. Cheer it on! 2.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 19 2012, 10:34 PM)
yes, could've been trimmed down by 3 or 4 songs....

And if they had made the album 3 or 4 songs shorter, they would have left off the 3 or 4 songs which YOU like the least, right? wacko.gif

It's equally possible that your favorite song on the album could've been one of the ones left off, one of the songs you never would've heard. Pick your favorite CA song and then imagine that the boys didn't include it because they wanted the album to be shorter and - to them - that favorite song of yours was the weakest in their opinion. You never would've heard that 'favorite' song! Now how do you feel about making the albums shorter?

QUOTE (Pause Rewind Replay @ Jun 20 2012, 05:20 AM)
I have no issue with the length being 66 minutes. I just find BU2B2 pointless and The Garden a drag.

BU2B2 is a necessary and even crucial point in the story, and while you and many others don't like the song, at least it's over quickly.

The Garden is very powerful: an awesome ballad which serves as a coda for all the hard rock before it. It packs more emotion than I've EVER heard in a single Rush song. Just fantastic.

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 20 2012, 12:33 PM)
Fu** that! wacko.gif

The more Rush the better. 653.gif 2.gif

Too right. trink39.gif

I don't think ALL the songs are great. [imho, a couple are just 'ok']. But there's no chance in f**k that I would want LESS Rush.

And as many have pointed out: Those 66 minutes go by pretty fast. trink38.gif