Today's rock wouldn't exist if the Beatles Hadn't

Mr. Not

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rockpages.gr: What are your influences?

Burke Shelley: Mine? Oh, God! Eeeeh, I am a sixties child you know, I came through the sixties, so it was different things going on, the Beatles, the Stones and all those shorts of bands, the Kinks, but by the time you get to the end of the sixties there are so much going on.

LINK

While i am not the worlds biggest Beatle fan you can not deny what they have done. They are the 2nd biggest artist in music history so they did something right laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 20 2012, 09:04 AM)
I wish Beatles detractors would avoid the "boy band" argument. It reveals where they are coming from and not it a good way.

Particularly when you consider that A Hard Day's Night was released only 3 years before Sgt. Pepper. To the extent they were ever a "boy band" (and I'd argue they never really were, as we understand that term now), they weren't for very long.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 20 2012, 06:04 AM)
I wish Beatles detractors would avoid the "boy band" argument. It reveals where they are coming from and not it a good way.

It actually wasn't a part of my argument at all. Just a poke I like to take at them. Same goes for when I point out they're lazy LSD hippies "hair peace"

But this thread has made clear most here are too caught up in wet panties (and we are talking about dudes here too) to even consider that they get too much credit in comparison to other musical innovators (to the point where it's obnoxious to me.

Bart C - who the f**k is that?

John L - f**k yeah musical god!

Okay, you got me. Who the hell is Bart C?

A google search pulls nothing music related for Bart C.

Hell, my band isn't famous but we're number one on a google search.

Was Bart C the 6th Beatle? cool.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 19 2012, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:59 PM)
I'm not saying that The Beatles weren't important on impacting musical culture, I'm just simply saying that they're given more credit then what should have been given.

Why?

You look at people (hell, especially rappers), and you ask them "Who do you think created rock 'n' roll?" They'll say "The Beatles". They didn't creat rock, as they only brought it into the mainstream and experimented with it. If it's anyone who's a pioneer in rock music, it's Little Richard.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 19 2012, 09:23 PM)
Dude.

You're just....ugh

Great argument!

But I'll cut you a quick break - I'm calling you and your avatar emo solely because I don't like you. I know you metalheads hate being associated with those pansies.

Go off on your unpopular opinion? Fine, but don't act deslusional and surprised when someone strikes you back. 1st amendment applies to BOTH parties.

Little Richard is right up there, but I think Chuck Berry was even more of a pioneer. Bill Haley and the comets started it all, if you want to get technical...then Elvis came along to expand further on the rock & roll theme.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 20 2012, 09:09 AM)
Of course The Beatles wouldn't have existed without the successes and influence of those before them either, so the begat game can go on and on...

And it shouldn't.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Jun 20 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 11:23 PM)
QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 19 2012, 09:23 PM)
Dude.

You're just....ugh

Great argument!

But I'll cut you a quick break - I'm calling you and your avatar emo solely because I don't like you. I know you metalheads hate being associated with those pansies.

Go off on your unpopular opinion? Fine, but don't act deslusional and surprised when someone strikes you back. 1st amendment applies to BOTH parties.

Likewise.

(nothing like some stranger trying to tell you how to use your first amendment right - as if it even relevant here on an internationally accessible and privately owned board... Crimimeny.)

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 07:53 AM)

Was Bart C the 6th Beatle? cool.gif

Who is The fifth? Jeff Lyne? laugh.gif

His name was abbreviated for google search purposes.

Bartolomeo Cristofori. He invented the piano. We don't know a thing about him, but a band that had influence during the 60s 70s and a little bit today... Even if you're not a fan - here's what John Lennon did at a bar once!

QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Jun 20 2012, 08:00 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 19 2012, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (Shredder2 @ Jun 19 2012, 07:59 PM)
I'm not saying that The Beatles weren't important on impacting musical culture, I'm just simply saying that they're given more credit then what should have been given.

Why?

You look at people (hell, especially rappers), and you ask them "Who do you think created rock 'n' roll?" They'll say "The Beatles". They didn't creat rock, as they only brought it into the mainstream and experimented with it. If it's anyone who's a pioneer in rock music, it's Little Richard.

Pretty much.

Well uh,"Blind man in the market buying what we're sold."

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 07:53 AM)

Was Bart C the 6th Beatle?  cool.gif

Who is The fifth? Jeff Lyne? laugh.gif

His name was abbreviated for google search purposes.

Bartolomeo Cristofori. He invented the piano. We don't know a thing about him, but a band that had influence during the 60s 70s and a little bit today... Even if you're not a fan - here's what John Lennon did at a bar once!

Pete Best - the 5th Beatle. (or George Martin makes more sense)

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 20 2012, 10:53 AM)
Dumbest thread ever.

I agree, no one's being objective. Everyone's just offended at the thought of the Beatles not being as greatest thing to happen in the musical world

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 11:20 AM)
Dumbest thread ever.

I agree, no one's being objective. Everyone's just offended at the thought of the Beatles not being as greatest thing to happen in the musical world

No.. you're offended at your opinion not be excepted here..simply put.

You believe today's band's are just as good if not better than The Beatles.

You are dis-respecting the greatest rock band that ever lived....and it's fan's....That's a cardinal sin, in my book..Period.

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 09:58 AM)
But this thread has made clear most here are too caught up in wet panties (and we are talking about dudes here too) to even consider that they get too much credit in comparison to other musical innovators (to the point where it's obnoxious to me.

Can you give me an example of another act you think deserves a similar amount of credit, but doesn't get it?

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 20 2012, 12:20 PM)
Dumbest thread ever.

That's not what I was getting at.

Have you ever heard of an artist NOT naming the Beatles as one of, if not THE major influence on them? I've heard a lot and I can't think of many who haven't named the Beatles.