Best opening band for Rush

CrimsonE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rocketom @ Jun 18 2012, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Cbus Rush @ Jun 18 2012, 03:58 PM)
Hands down Marillion on the PoW tour in Cincinnati.

Marillion Sucked! they were pretty much Booed off the stage in Chicago, everyone was cheering "Rush, Rush, Rush" during there set. Someone lit a flame with an aerosal can , It was Great. Power Windows, still my favorite Rush concert.

Saw them in Buffalo for that tour. I thought they were awesome.

Same tour, Steve Morse opened in Rochester.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Jun 18 2012, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 18 2012, 05:36 PM)
Tommy Shaw during HYF, He was simply on fire!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

Yeah...he was good too in Lakeland, FL....(Front row!!!!)

He was kickin major ass at the spectrum in Philly on that tour

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 10:16 PM)
QUOTE (rocketom @ Jun 18 2012, 08:42 PM)

Marillion Sucked! they were pretty much Booed off the stage in Chicago, everyone was cheering "Rush, Rush, Rush" during there set. Someone lit a flame with an aerosal can , It was Great. Power Windows, still my favorite Rush concert.

I can verify this. They were a steaming pile of fecal matter.

I recall the lead singer in a Kimono saying "I"m so wasted" or somethign like that.

He sang that as they are lyrics from a song on misplaced childhood. Idiot.

As far as best support act seen-Max Webster at Manchester Apollo 79. Would have loved to see Marillion open for them tho!

QUOTE (rocketom @ Jun 18 2012, 09:42 PM)

Totally different experience with Marillion and Rush. They were fantastic.

Liked Steve Morse and really liked listening to Paul Gilbert play guitar with Mr. Big, even if the band was less than stellar.

UFO opened for them during AFTK tour in '77, by far the best.

Pat Travers during the Hemi tour didnt suck either.

Edited by Rushman14

My favorite was Candlebox by far. Didn't know who they were, nor did the entire crowd, but by the end of the set the place was rocking,

Tommy Shaw was great too.

Primus was very cool on the RTB tour...

Im probably in the minority here, but wouldnt mind seeing a good opener this tour. Its not happening, but can you imagine, say, the Pumpkins? That would be outstanding.

QUOTE (CrimsonE @ Jun 19 2012, 05:55 AM)

One band I thought would be cool to open for them in 1990 was a quasi-supergroup called Bad English, which had John Waite, Neil Schon and Jonathan Cain. Unfortunately, that never happened eh.gif

Oh god no! I couldn't imagine them playing When I See You Smile a mere hour or so before La Villa Strangiato hit the stage.

I like Schon and Cain well enough but jeez, Bad English was one step away from being that shit pop band Glass Tiger. Naturally, imho. trink39.gif

Primus was my favorite Rush opener. And I was pleasantly surprised by Candlebox. The crowd dug them too.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Jun 21 2012, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Jun 18 2012, 10:49 PM)
I enjoyed Max Webster on the MP tour in 1981.

Me too. smile.gif

You see them at MSG?

Or Cincy?

I remember the last band that open for Rush ( If memory Serves)

I didn't catch their act, but I do recall there being a flap between older Rush fans, and younger Primus fans. This turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because it spawned: "An entire Evening with Rush"

I remember hearing the Fabulous Thunderbirds from the Pacific Amphitheatre in Costa Mesa: "Ain't that tough enough?"

And the only really impressive opening act I can remember for Rush, was with out a doubt, Golden Earring! - I have a memory of the drummer jumping over his drumset after they finished there last song ( He clipped his snare, but kept his balance). Great Showmanship. And I remember they were tight live!

QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jun 20 2012, 06:36 AM)
Im probably in the minority here, but wouldnt mind seeing a good opener this tour. Its not happening, but can you imagine, say, the Pumpkins? That would be outstanding.

If they ditched the videos and drum solo they'd probably be able to play the same amount of songs that they currently play in 2.5 hours and have an opener. I'd have no problem with this but the band probably needs an intermission so its not likely.

Candlebox no question.

Still love that band....they have made 5 great records. And I have become personal friends with the band over the past few years. Great guys, great players and songwriters.

See them live if they come to your town. They put on a hell of a show.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 22 2012, 12:20 AM)
Candlebox no question.

Still love that band....they have made 5 great records. And I have become personal friends with the band over the past few years. Great guys, great players and songwriters.

See them live if they come to your town. They put on a hell of a show.

They are incredible live. Just them in Tampa and Orlando a month or so ago. I think Kevin Martin is one of the best frontmen in the business and Peter Klett is a BAMF