Alex Lifeson on 'Clockwork' Tour Setlist

Look, Rush has mentioned somewhere that they want to do this a little different (i.e. string section, bring out some older stuff, etc.) so lets just do that and do it right. That means just pick the best stuff they like playing from CA then play songs that many of us long time fans have either never heard or haven't heard in a long while. Such as, Finding My Way, Beneath, Between & Behind, Lakeside Park, Cinderella Man, Hemispheres (a chunk would be sufficient no need to do all), Jacob's Ladder, Analog Kid, Middletown Dreams,Second Nature (good with string section), Everyday Glory, Available Light, and a few other haven't been played to death songs. I would naturally expect Spirit of Radio, 2112 (intro) & Limelight to be played as well but could really go without all of the other concert staples played over the last few decades. I am really sick of Tom Sawyer being played every time as I have heard it live since my first show in 1982 and it is not their best or my favorite song so please if you are going to change it up then change it up as the casual fans are not going to be forking out the big $ for these shows!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2012, 10:38 AM)
whatever alex says goes in one ear and out the other for me.

Unfortunately for me too. I seem to remember him saying that they were going to play Jacob's Ladder. I think he means well, says what he wants to play and then gets shot down by one or both of the others.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Jun 27 2012, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2012, 10:38 AM)
whatever alex says goes in one ear and out the other for me.

Unfortunately for me too. I seem to remember him saying that they were going to play Jacob's Ladder. I think he means well, says what he wants to play and then gets shot down by one or both of the others.

I think he just word vomits whenever someone sticks a mic in his face.

QUOTE (GeddyLeefan2112 @ Jun 28 2012, 01:18 PM)
Everything Alex says should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Let us not forget the massive shitstorm of anger that occurred over comments Alex made about the setlist last tour.

Refresh my memory

TBH, I've only seen 2112 played on two tours and I would much rather substitute it for some rare 80s or 90s material. Emotion Detector would be smashing!

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/SMASHING+OC_c4dae6_3279509.jpg

QUOTE (2112rush @ Jul 2 2012, 09:44 AM)
Do RUSH normally announce the setlist before the start of the tour???

No. The closest they've ever come to doing that was on the last one, when they posted the official list on their site pretty much during the opening show.

No . More like Al has one to many beers and starts throwing out songs in interviews he says they are rehearsing [Jacobs Ladder ] and we never hear it wink.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jul 2 2012, 10:02 AM)

No . More like Al has one to many beers and starts throwing out songs in interviews he says they are rehearsing [Jacobs Ladder ] and we never hear it wink.gif

My understanding is that Jacobs Ladder was rehearsed and tested, but rejected in the end. At the time he said it, he probably did think they would do it.

Alex has misinformed us more than that in the past. I remember a guitar mag article where he said he was bringing the doubleneck SG onstage for multiple songs, and that his tech would be busy re-tuning it inbetween. This implied he would use the doubleneck for 'Hope', and then again for something else (Xanadu?). It never happened, as far as I can recall.

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Jul 2 2012, 01:00 PM)
Alex has misinformed us more than that in the past. I remember a guitar mag article where he said he was bringing the doubleneck SG onstage for multiple songs, and that his tech would be busy re-tuning it inbetween. This implied he would use the doubleneck for 'Hope', and then again for something else (Xanadu?). It never happened, as far as I can recall.

That was his original idea for songs like Main Monkey Business and EntreNous before the 2007 Tour. But he ultimately ended up deciding that the 12 string acoustics set up on stands was the better option. Less re-tuning, less of a mess to deal with for his tech.

Alex, I get the feeling, says stuff in the moment, and its true. But then they end up making changes, and he doesn't actually get the time to say they made the changes in interviews.

I don't think Lerxst would lie or make stuff up. He just speaks way far in advance of the start of a tour.

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Jul 2 2012, 03:02 PM)
Alex has misinformed us more than that in the past.  I remember a guitar mag article where he said he was bringing the doubleneck SG onstage for multiple songs, and that his tech would be busy re-tuning it inbetween.  This implied he would use the doubleneck for 'Hope', and then again for something else (Xanadu?).  It never happened, as far as I can recall.

That was his original idea for songs like Main Monkey Business and EntreNous before the 2007 Tour. But he ultimately ended up deciding that the 12 string acoustics set up on stands was the better option. Less re-tuning, less of a mess to deal with for his tech.

Alex, I get the feeling, says stuff in the moment, and its true. But then they end up making changes, and he doesn't actually get the time to say they made the changes in interviews.

I don't think Lerxst would lie or make stuff up. He just speaks way far in advance of the start of a tour.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Jul 2 2012, 02:02 PM)
Alex has misinformed us more than that in the past.  I remember a guitar mag article where he said he was bringing the doubleneck SG onstage for multiple songs, and that his tech would be busy re-tuning it inbetween.  This implied he would use the doubleneck for 'Hope', and then again for something else (Xanadu?).  It never happened, as far as I can recall.

I wasn't trying to imply that Alex lies. He's just a loose cannon tongue.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jun 29 2012, 04:28 PM)
TBH, I've only seen 2112 played on two tours and I would much rather substitute it for some rare 80s or 90s material. Emotion Detector would be smashing!
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/SMASHING+OC_c4dae6_3279509.jpg

Yes...I would prefer this as well.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Jun 20 2012, 08:09 PM)
With all the geeks on this forum, can't somebody figure out how to hack their email and get the goods?

I could but I wont... CompTIA certified hacker.. Yes it's a real IT certification.

QUOTE (rrzubnyy @ Jul 14 2012, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (greg2112 @ Jul 13 2012, 05:19 AM)
I'd much rather hear deep classics that they havent played since the golden era rather than songs theyve never played before.

I want to hear Something for Nothing!

i would like to hear it also but it's not happening. ged can't reach those high notes anymore.