Alex Lifeson on 'Clockwork' Tour Setlist

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 19 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 19 2012, 08:44 AM)
QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 18 2012, 02:06 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Freewill gets dropped, you can almost see the look of dread in Geddy's face when he's about to go for the really high part.

OMG

rofl3.gif

It's true. Even Alex has that "constipated" look in him during that segment of the song...EVEN Neil did BEFORE it...Proof of my avatar. wink.gif

rofl3.gif That face makes me laugh every single time I watch Freewill from TMT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (default236 @ Jun 19 2012, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Just an Escape Artist @ Jun 19 2012, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (Owen Hardy @ Jun 18 2012, 04:44 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 18 2012, 02:26 PM)
Sounds like the plan is to play most of CA on the first leg then switch it up a little on a second leg. Sounds great to me cool.gif

RIAB just posted an Alex Lifeson Billboard interview where he seems to indicate the opposite "could" happen:

"There's a great deal of pressure on us now to do the whole record, which we don't anticipate. I think our intention is probably to prepare the whole thing; whether we'll do it or not we're still not sure, especially on the first leg of the tour. There's still a lot of older stuff we want to do, and we've got some great songs lined up from the past. We'd be loathe to drop them to add more of 'Clockwork Angels,' at least on the first leg. It's always nice to switch up on the second leg and make it a little different." ...

Alex, give in to the pressure, the path of least resistance my friend, play the whole thing. Bring in circus carnies and huge clocks hanging from the rafters. Go Pink Ployd on our butts. rofl3.gif 1022.gif

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif rofl3.gif

I can see little airships flying around the stadium already!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 20 2012, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Jun 20 2012, 12:26 PM)
I want Fly by Nite!!!

Sorry...they can't do that.

They might do Fly By Night though.

Are you taking that on the road? Cause thats pretty funny!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (MarKo @ Jun 19 2012, 05:44 PM)
I think they'll do orchestrated versions of the older songs.
2112 with an orchestra for sure.... Could be interesting.

those tunes from the 70's aren't meant to be played with an orchestra and i think it's a big mistake on their part. losing it yes, parts of ca yes, but everything else a big no.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 01:33 PM)

those tunes from the 70's aren't meant to be played with an orchestra and i think it's a big mistake on their part. losing it yes, parts of ca yes, but everything else a big no.

Well Maybe Tears , Nobody's Hero & Manhattan Project are yes too!

But overall, I agree with you. Leave the Stringless songs stringless.

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 20 2012, 01:37 PM)
Well Maybe Tears , Nobody's Hero & Manhattan Project are yes too!

yes.gif

Add Animate to that list as well because it has a string sample during the last chorus.

While I tend to agree, I also have a lot of faith in the band, I cant imagine them doing anything that wouldn't be totally cool with the strings.

I am actually looking forward to seeing and hearing what they come up with...if they want to add strings to some of their classics, I'll give it a chance.

A lot of their synth sounds from the late 80's and 90's are basically orchestra hits or string sounds anyway (think Big Money, Mystic Rhythms, etc)

QUOTE (Barry @ Jun 20 2012, 10:33 PM)

While I tend to agree, I also have a lot of faith in the band, I cant imagine them doing anything that wouldn't be totally cool with the strings.

I am actually looking forward to seeing and hearing what they come up with...if they want to add strings to some of their classics, I'll give it a chance.

A lot of their synth sounds from the late 80's and 90's are basically orchestra hits or string sounds anyway (think Big Money, Mystic Rhythms, etc)

Well thats what I mean, If its sounds like strings than Ok. but don't go adding strings to songs like Cygnus X-1 which don't have any strings or anything that sounds like strings.

no.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 01:33 PM)

+1

QUOTE (Barry @ Jun 20 2012, 10:33 PM)

You know, your right, that was pretty narrow minded of me. I guess it wouldn't hurt to hear what they would do with some of the classics. Its only for one tour anyway. There's always R40 waiting in the halls! Where they could play everything they want in normal fashion.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

To be fair, just looking forward to them playing again smile.gif

Would be gutted if they changed anything for Europe. Have been lucky so far, what they changed on the S&A tour worked in my favour. So happy to hear Entre Nous as opposed to Ghost Of A Chance. Glad that they kept the Time Machine set together as loved Time Stand Still and Presto. We'll see what happens this time.

Understand peoples comments about too many S&A songs on that tour, but (personal opinion) CA is sooooo much better (not been this happy about a Rush album for a while) so would quite happily listen to the whole thing live, would be fantastic!!

Agreed, certain songs are a given (it wouldn't be a Rush gig without them) but the songs we always argue about whether they should be in could be limited, that way we all get our wish wink.gif

Regardless, and to agree with many others, its Rush, good times.....

p.s If 2112 is in, I always prefer if the add Grand Finale to Overture and Temples. Just finishes it of nicely for me smile.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2012, 10:38 AM)
whatever alex says goes in one ear and out the other for me.

This.

Plus I think they have a lot of leeway with the strings and arrangements so the song selection is going to be difficult to pin down.

You can be super-conservative and lazy:

Faithless and Marathon which are already in the setlist for the non-CA songs with strings and nothing more.

Or daring and way out there:

2112 with the strings including Presentation/Soliloquy, parts of the Necromancer, other lesser played parts of Hemispheres: The Sphere, etc

QUOTE (quickfree @ Jun 22 2012, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 22 2012, 10:38 AM)
whatever alex says goes in one ear and out the other for me.

This.

Plus I think they have a lot of leeway with the strings and arrangements so the song selection is going to be difficult to pin down.

You can be super-conservative and lazy:

Faithless and Marathon which are already in the setlist for the non-CA songs with strings and nothing more.

Or daring and way out there:

2112 with the strings including Presentation/Soliloquy, parts of the Necromancer, other lesser played parts of Hemispheres: The Sphere, etc

Crap! Forgot about Faithless for strings. That, y'all, would kick ass.

QUOTE (GuitarPlyr01 @ Jun 23 2012, 07:08 PM)
I think they should pull a fast one and not play 2112 at all.

Then again, they did it on the first S&A tour, and that setlist felt pretty weird without it

no.gif no.gif no.gif

I will be extremely disappointed if 2112 doesn't get played

I like that over the past several tours they have pulled more than a few gems out...I'm guessing that they will do a whole buncha new album like the S&A tour for the first legs, then pull some of those tunes back and add more older stuff.

As far as 3 and a half hours? yeah I'd love that but remember, the boys are 60 or approaching 60, that's not an easy task given the notes involved...they aren't a jam band where they can cruise back and get mellow to stretch things out.

I'm curious that since they wanted to pull Jacobs Ladder out last tour, and ran out of time, if they may add that one in this tour, which would be nice.

Regardless...it's Rush LIVE! confused13.gif