Clockwork Angels title track - chanting

Owen Hardy

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 03:15 PM)
On a serious note, I started analyzing the waveform, listening to the first part backwards and comparing it to the ending played normally...

The beginning is just the chanting and ambient sound + some of the following lyrics backwards + the end of the beginning is the beginning backwards... here are the bits of lyrics you can make out, taken straight from the song and sang the same way:

Globes of light float in mid-air
Higher still, against the night
Clockwork angels bathed in light

I was having some fun digging and then had to take a hard stop, discovered a hidden message from the Watchmaker right at the very end of the song. He warns us, foreboding..

Wouldn't do that......

If you don't believe me, crank the music fairly loudly at the end, right around the 7:27 mark and listen... I don't know about you guys but I'm not f**king around with this ANY more!

ph34r.gif

Are you nuts? that's the Pedlar asking "What Do You Lack?"

laugh.gif cool10.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 04:24 PM)

Haha! Or maybe it COULD be that too.

It's so frigging subliminally quiet... almost inaudible. Who would notice it except for obsessed fans scouring the beginning and end for hidden messages? Would be a funny Easter Egg or maybe your less insane but also more boring explanation is correct.

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 18 2012, 04:34 PM)
ITT everyone thinks they are a comedian dazed025.gif

And an acronym expert. wink.gif

What does ITT mean? "In This Thread"?

I think it means "jokes make me cry"

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 18 2012, 04:34 PM)
ITT everyone thinks they are a comedian dazed025.gif

And an acronym expert. wink.gif

What does ITT mean? "In This Thread"?

I think it means "jokes make me cry"

Yeah I get impulses to break that wagging little finger, then I remember it's just an icon.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 01:24 PM)
On a serious note, I started analyzing the waveform, listening to the first part backwards and comparing it to the ending played normally...

The beginning is just the chanting and ambient sound + some of the following lyrics backwards + the end of the beginning is the beginning backwards... here are the bits of lyrics you can make out, taken straight from the song and sang the same way:

I was having some fun digging and then had to take a hard stop, discovered a hidden message from the Watchmaker right at the very end of the song. He warns us, foreboding..

Wouldn't do that......

If you don't believe me, crank the music fairly loudly at the end, right around the 7:27 mark and listen... I don't know about you guys but I'm not f**king around with this ANY more!

ph34r.gif

Exactly! It's one of them (Neil, I think) saying "What do you lack?"

It's in the liner notes, gang..... wacko.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 19 2012, 02:55 AM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 01:24 PM)

Wouldn't do that......

ph34r.gif

Exactly! It's one of them (Neil, I think) saying "What do you lack?"

It's in the liner notes, gang..... wacko.gif

I don't have the album in front of me so can only go by the lyrics shown on the Cygnus-X1 site but I don't see "what do you lack" printed before the opening lyrincs to CA.

QUOTE (Owen Hardy @ Jun 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 02:32 PM)
I would be very interested in your finding though. I don't know if it's backwards, it sound like choral chanting to me... Aren't there audio programs you can play stuff backwards in without needing the vinyl?

It sounds like chanting for most of the early part, but from about :18 to :25 I feel like I'm hearing words.

It starts with what you're calling "chanting," a sort of monks-in-a-monastery thing, and then I think it evolves into a sampled section of the song to come, albeit altered by audio effects.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 19 2012, 11:53 AM)
QUOTE (Owen Hardy @ Jun 18 2012, 02:54 PM)
QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 02:32 PM)
I would be very interested in your finding though. I don't know if it's backwards, it sound like choral chanting to me... Aren't there audio programs you can play stuff backwards in without needing the vinyl?

It sounds like chanting for most of the early part, but from about :18 to :25 I feel like I'm hearing words.

It starts with what you're calling "chanting," a sort of monks-in-a-monastery thing, and then I think it evolves into a sampled section of the song to come, albeit altered by audio effects.

agreed, just wish I could figure out what's being said.

QUOTE (andrew28 @ Jun 19 2012, 10:43 AM)
It's only a matter of time before someone in this group isolates the chanting, runs it through Pro Tools and reverses it to figure out what he's saying. We are Rush fans after all.

I already did that. RTFT.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 12:55 PM)
It's only a matter of time before someone in this group isolates the chanting, runs it through Pro Tools and reverses it to figure out what he's saying. We are Rush fans after all.

laugh.gif

Yes. Nailed it. I really like that the very beginning of the song, the first 7 seconds or so is Geddy singing to the angels high above. Reversed. If this violates copyright feel free to delete mods but it's just the first few seconds reversed.

ortni slegnA krowkcolC

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 19 2012, 04:53 PM)

laugh.gif

Yes. Nailed it. I really like that the very beginning of the song, the first 7 seconds or so is Geddy singing to the angels high above. Reversed. If this violates copyright feel free to delete mods but it's just the first few seconds reversed.

ortni slegnA krowkcolC

Thanks for this although I'll admit, I'm still not sure what he's saying.

It's the opening verse and "to the angels high aboooooove."

Oh and the very end of the song, before What do you lack, Geddy's chant is "Spiritual machinery."

Reversed of course.

Edited by hunter

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jun 19 2012, 05:26 PM)
I ripped the song into Adobe Audition to try to figure it out. It's hard to make everything out, because of the music behind it. I will put it up for everyone to listen to to try to figure out what it is, unless someone already has done it...

4 posts above yours.

QUOTE (Owen Hardy @ Jun 19 2012, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 19 2012, 04:53 PM)

laugh.gif

ortni slegnA krowkcolC

Thanks for this although I'll admit, I'm still not sure what he's saying.

My guess is that it is the inaudible voice(s) of the Clockwork Angels.