Geddy's Backing Band

Jmo2112

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 11:21 AM)
Thread title is tongue in cheek of course. There are no weak links in Rush but on CA it's pretty apparent that there is a strongest link; Geddy.

Some may disagree but Geddy's playing and singing are the only elements that feel boundary pushing. IMO both Neil and Alex suffer from limited excursions into challenging territory and thin/sterile production at times. Alex's solos in particular are surprisingly thin and uninspired in places.

All of that having been said the *songs* are truly remarkable and the concept and band are tight enough to make these criticisms minor asides.

Of course if you differ with me I am open to checking out solos, drum fills, etc. that debunk my position.

I would disagree about Neil.

Best I can tell (due to much of his playing being washed out in the mix), this is by far the best Neil since the Great Gruber Debacle.

Agree about Alex. He suffers from the mix as well and from his wall of sound approach. Lets face it, he doesn't like playing solos anymore.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 18 2012, 12:42 PM)
But I couldn't be happier with Geds performance on CA. He really shines.

That he definitely does.

This is one album where the bass really stands out...and I cannot wait to see him play these new tracks live. It should be stunning.

All three of them should be proud of how they've played on CA...it's incredible. Just strong performances by all three.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 19 2012, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 11:21 AM)
Lets face it, he doesn't like playing solos anymore.

i don't know why Alex doesn't solo more. However, he certainly does enjoy soloing, on the TM dvd he seems to love playing solo's such as on la villa, camera eye etc.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 19 2012, 09:36 AM)
Agree about Alex. He suffers from the mix as well and from his wall of sound approach. Lets face it, he doesn't like playing solos anymore.

Yeah, unfortunately...I think you're right.

Alex for some reason, doesn't seem big on soloing these days. It's too bad...the guy knows how to craft great ones.

I honestly think part of the problem with Alex's guitar sound has to do with hearing loss. How he could listen back to the tone on his solos and give the thumbs up on most of the solos on CA is beyond me. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 19 2012, 08:59 AM)
I honestly think part of the problem with Alex's guitar sound has to do with hearing loss. How he could listen back to the tone on his solos and give the thumbs up on most of the solos on CA is beyond me. confused13.gif

Perhaps it's Nick, also? confused13.gif

I don't really mind the kind of "wall of sound" he does but I do miss the "Red Barchetta/Xanadu/Hemispheres" playing....a lot.

Maybe it's the production then? Because I'm not hearing it. Anyone care to point out specific songs/moments where Neil is pushing beyond what he did on A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Perm Waves, etc?

Well there aren't any, Because these songs don't call for it. You may argue, but the sign of a true pro is that they play only what the song calls for, period. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should". Know what I mean?

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 18 2012, 12:57 PM)
I couldn't disagree more, as usual, the performances of all three are exceptional.

I seriously think this is Neil's best playing. It is amazing.

Neil's best playing? In what ways? He's playing a lot of 4/4 grooves with stock fills. And his snare drum sound like refried digitized shit.

Any thoughts on Alex's solos/tones? Never heard him sounding this anemic.

I agree. I can count out the beats in my head. 1. 2. 3. 4. Especially in Anarchist. Just go with the tempo. It's easily countable.

facepalm.gif

The time signature is not the only component of music one can change for effect.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 19 2012, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:08 PM)
Neil's best playing? In what ways? He's playing a lot of 4/4 grooves with stock fills. And his snare drum sound like refried digitized shit.

Utterly absurd.

yes.gif

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 08:30 AM)
Neil's lyrics are good, but he's a pretty replaceable guy! (unlike Geddy)

I'm convinced that you write shit like this to get attention. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 19 2012, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 02:08 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 18 2012, 12:57 PM)
I couldn't disagree more, as usual, the performances of all three are exceptional.

I seriously think this is Neil's best playing. It is amazing.

I agree. I can count out the beats in my head. 1. 2. 3. 4. Especially in Anarchist. Just go with the tempo. It's easily countable.

facepalm.gif

The time signature is not the only component of music one can change for effect.

He's talking about drums specifically and in Rush it obviously plays a big role...

facepalm.gif yourself!

hockey.gif

Though, @D3strukt, I didn't pay much attention to the drumming so...

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 19 2012, 12:45 PM)
Yep, no value in this thread. Just a lot of bashing Rush members by a few snooty know-it-alls. Gotta love the internet. yes.gif

So you're telling us that you love Lifeson's solos and tone on this album???

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 19 2012, 10:29 AM)

Hey, think what you will!

Today, Geddy Lee makes Rush. Neil still writes some nice songs lyrically like in "Wish Them Well"

But jesus f**k... He's been repeating himself since the 80's.

Point is - there are better drummer / lyricists out there for Rush. Unlike most others here, I have no attachment or love for Neil. Sorry for voicing a different opinion, you judgmental tommyknocker!

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 01:36 PM)

Today, Geddy Lee makes Rush. Neil still writes some nice songs lyrically like in "Wish Them Well"

Point is - there are better drummer / lyricists out there for Rush. Unlike most others here, I have no attachment or love for Neil. Sorry for voicing a different opinion, you judgmental tommyknocker!

Technically better drummers/lyricists out there? Yes.

Drummers/lyricists who are a BETTER FIT for Rush? No.

/thread

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 19 2012, 11:50 AM)

/thread

(that's not what this thread is about though... it's aboot how kick ass ged is.)

QUOTE (Ovningskora @ Jun 19 2012, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 19 2012, 11:50 AM)

/thread

(that's not what this thread is about though... it's aboot how kick ass ged is.)

Hahah! Exactly!

Listen you fools, there is no Rush without Geddy, Alex or Neil. That's just how it is.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 19 2012, 04:09 PM)
Listen you fools, there is no Rush without Geddy, Alex or Neil. That's just how it is.

no shit. thread closed.

Geddy's Backing Band. Even the title of this thread has trollish undertones. It seems like the old Divide and conquer routine. Oh yes, lets state that Geddy is performing way beyond the others in the band and see if that finds a crack in the armor.

This is pure non-sense! Most of you drummers out there would not be able to play some of the snare fills Neil's has recorded in your lifetime. Specially the one prior to the verse in Wish Them Well which brings me to Alex. His lead in that song alone is a testament to his name not to mention his a lead in The Anarchist and Clockwork Angels.

You guys need to stop!

bitchslap.gif

Edited by losingit2k