Geddy's Backing Band

Jmo2112

Thread title is tongue in cheek of course. There are no weak links in Rush but on CA it's pretty apparent that there is a strongest link; Geddy.

Some may disagree but Geddy's playing and singing are the only elements that feel boundary pushing. IMO both Neil and Alex suffer from limited excursions into challenging territory and thin/sterile production at times. Alex's solos in particular are surprisingly thin and uninspired in places.

All of that having been said the *songs* are truly remarkable and the concept and band are tight enough to make these criticisms minor asides.

Of course if you differ with me I am open to checking out solos, drum fills, etc. that debunk my position.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important notes in music are the ones you don't play, and I find it refreshing there isn't a ton of overplaying on this record. But I couldn't be happier with Geds performance on CA. He really shines.

I couldn't disagree more, as usual, the performances of all three are exceptional.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 18 2012, 12:57 PM)
I couldn't disagree more, as usual, the performances of all three are exceptional.

I seriously think this is Neil's best playing. It is amazing.

Neil's best playing? In what ways? He's playing a lot of 4/4 grooves with stock fills. And his snare drum sound like refried digitized shit.

Any thoughts on Alex's solos/tones? Never heard him sounding this anemic.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 02:08 PM)

Neil's best playing? In what ways? He's playing a lot of 4/4 grooves with stock fills. And his snare drum sound like refried digitized shit.

I agree. I can count out the beats in my head. 1. 2. 3. 4. Especially in Anarchist. Just go with the tempo. It's easily countable.

I disagree. Alex's playing sounds amazing.

And it's not always about the time signatures, they always add to the diversity and there are times where they change. How can you not hear all the new things he's learning? Starting Test for Echo, you can immensely hear his drumming getting more technical and difficult. Because he started getting lessons from various pro drummers. And he still is getting lessons right now. Like I said, you can hear it in this album.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 02:19 PM)

And it's not always about the time signatures, they always add to the diversity and there are times where they change. How can you not hear all the new things he's learning? Starting Test for Echo, you can immensely hear his drumming getting more technical and difficult. Because he started getting lessons from various pro drummers. And he still is getting lessons right now. Like I said, you can hear it in this album.

The stuff he is playing, is easy to play in 4/4.

Not to say that it doesn't sound great, because it does. I just like to be thrown off my guard sometimes.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 02:22 PM)

Not to say that it doesn't sound great, because it does. I just like to be thrown off my guard sometimes.

I'm sure you'd be surprised. wink.gif

It shows true talent that a person can make difficult stuff sound easy.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 02:23 PM)

Except i'm a drummer, with a years experience, and I learned most of CA in these past 2 weeks.

The exception is his weird swing in CA. I can't replicate that.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 02:24 PM)

Except i'm a drummer, with a years experience, and I learned most of CA in these past 2 weeks.

Weird swing in CA?

Well, I am sure it is a lot easier after having lots of years experience. But even then, I'm sure a lot of other drummers would never be able to replicate this kind of stuff he does in this album.

With Neil, he uses basically all four of his limbs through out almost all songs now. I'm surprised he doesn't use his head for the snare.

How long you been drumming? My dad's a drummer too. Have you played Time Stand Still, yet? Heard that's a fun song.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 18 2012, 02:30 PM)

Weird swing in CA?

Well, I am sure it is a lot easier after having lots of years experience. But even then, I'm sure a lot of other drummers would never be able to replicate this kind of stuff he does in this album.

With Neil, he uses basically all four of his limbs through out almost all songs now. I'm surprised he doesn't use his head for the snare.

How long you been drumming? My dad's a drummer too. Have you played Time Stand Still, yet? Heard that's a fun song.

Literally, for about a year. laugh.gif Time Stand Still is still a bit out of my range yet. The Chorus is a bit hard to play.

Also, yes. The swing in the verses.

completely agree. this is Geddy's album.

i didn't notice Alex's playing until my husband(who plays guitar) mentioned it. and yes, very simple, "same as usual" sound to his stuff.

i was impressed with Neil doing doubles on the title track, but other than that, pretty boring.

i enjoy the album, but it's definitely not a top favorite. like a 7/10 for me.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 03:30 PM)

Weird swing in CA?

Literally, for about a year. laugh.gif Time Stand Still is still a bit out of my range yet. The Chorus is a bit hard to play.

Many songs on this record are far harder to play than Time Stand Still. I was playing all that stuff back in the 80's. I sure there are a lot of subtle(and not so subtle) stuff you are missing with Pearts playing nowdays. If you could play these songs right you would have absolutely no problem playing a song like Time Stand Still. Heck.......the intro to something like One Little Victory is trickier than most of the stuff he did in the 80's.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 18 2012, 04:18 PM)

Weird swing in CA?

Many songs on this record are far harder to play than Time Stand Still. I was playing all that stuff back in the 80's. I sure there are a lot of subtle(and not so subtle) stuff you are missing with Pearts playing nowdays. If you could play these songs right you would have absolutely no problem playing a song like Time Stand Still. Heck.......the intro to something like One Little Victory is trickier than most of the stuff he did in the 80's.

Like him using the high hat as his personal metronome throughout a whole song? The dudes a frickin' machine.

I think Geddy well and truly shines on CA.

I also think Alex needs to pull back on the heaviness a bit and do more of his arpeggio work.

Overall I love the album - just nit picking tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 18 2012, 01:08 PM)

Utterly absurd.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 18 2012, 04:18 PM)

Weird swing in CA?

Oh, i'm well aware. Most of it is speed. If you work with the parts that give you a hard time, you can build up. For example, Anarchist, is not hard to play, but those runs on the toms are pretty fast, the high hat actually helps keep my time though, so it made it easy.

This thread sucks. Neil is the MVP of Rush and the most irreplaceable by far.

To suggest that he is going anywhere but forward with his drumming is absurd.

His drumming on CA is full of nuance and idiosyncratic style. He's been building up to this performance for years and you are mistaken to think anything contrary

I personally find Hemispheres unplayable for me. I don't think I'd ever actually want to learn it. Seems like a chore, no matter HOW awesome the tune. It's just too long and I don't have the stamina......

A lot of the older stuff is much harder. Fountain of Lamneth's beginning is hard as hell.

Cygnus X-1 is easy though, it's mostly just head games.

So I guess i'm mistaken then. Some of his new stuff is hard, stamina wise, MOSTLY all of his older stuff is hard, and by old, I mean pre PoW.

I really like CA, but I agree with all of the criticism that has been brought up.

This is practically a Geddy solo album. He really shines on it, His playing sounds great and his vocals sound great as well even when trying to "shoehorn" in all the words. He's even the prominent in the mix.

Alex's solos are good but seem kinda typical, and none really shine and as mentioned his tone is just the same stuff from the last couple albms. It sounds like it's all just mushed in there with distortion. He brought back his arpeggiation, but I would have liked more as it actually stands out.

Neil is playing some great stuff, but one thing I noticed was his snare, it really stands out and "cracks" but I like it. I have to admit though that I need many more listens to really center on the drums.

Criticism aside, I really like this album.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 19 2012, 02:55 AM)
This thread sucks. Neil is the MVP of Rush and the most irreplaceable by far.

To suggest that he is going anywhere but forward with his drumming is absurd.

His drumming on CA is full of nuance and idiosyncratic style. He's been building up to this performance for years and you are mistaken to think anything contrary

Maybe it's the production then? Because I'm not hearing it. Anyone care to point out specific songs/moments where Neil is pushing beyond what he did on A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Perm Waves, etc?