Sting (solo)

As a huge Police fan, I dig also most of Sting's solo career. I probably like everything until the lute CD, and my favourite album is Soul Cages. He's touring this year with the band that recorded Soul Cages and Ten Summoner's Tales - Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, David Sancious on keyboards, Dominic Miller on guitar, plus a violin player and a backing vocal. I've always liked his backing bands like that, with less people on stage.

I am in Oslo on a business trip and was fortunate to catch one of his concerts last night - he was on fire!!! Most of The POlice classics were there, and most of his solo stuff I like - Englishman in NY, Desert Rose, Seven Days, All This Time etc. Surprisingly, he didn't close the set with Fragile (which I'm not really a fan of), and chose Next to You instead. Great show, and I found myself playing air bass this morning! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Huge fan! One of my favorite artists and one of the best songwriters of our time. His band always consists of great players and his albums are sonic masterpieces. I run sound and production for large concerts occasionally, and I always tune the system with Dream of the Blue Turtles.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 20 2012, 12:50 AM)
Huge fan! One of my favorite artists and one of the best songwriters of our time. His band always consists of great players and his albums are sonic masterpieces. I run sound and production for large concerts occasionally, and I always tune the system with Dream of the Blue Turtles.

Hey...cool that you like The Dream of the Blue Turtles, an album that still impresses me to this day.

From what I saw and heard last Sunday, his voice is still great and he still has the chops on bass. It's a shame that he doesn't feel like composing new pop songs anymore. The lute thing and the Symphonicity album kinda sucked.

I'm a huge Police fan myself. Sting's solo work is sort of up and down for me. He's a little bit like Paul McCartney in that regard. I think he needs Summers and Copeland to bring out the best in him. Left to his own devices he gets a little self indulgent.

The song Shape of My Heart is absolutely beautiful though. And I loved his remake of Shadows in the Rain. Blue Turtles is probably my favorite of his solo albums.

No. Only the Police

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 20 2012, 09:19 PM)
I like it all up to Mercury Falling

For me, everything up to Mercury Falling is great. Brand New Day was hit and (a lot of) miss, and Sacred Love was quite messy with a lot of covers, re-recording and live versions of old songs, and Mary J. Blidge completely out of place in one of the songs. Then he did the lute thing that was unlistenable, and soon after he brought The Police back, which I enjoyed of course. He now admits to be in a creative gridlock, and prefers to tour his old material. I'm fine with that, and by what I saw last Sunday, his band is on fire.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 21 2012, 03:33 AM)

For me, everything up to Mercury Falling is great. Brand New Day was hit and (a lot of) miss, and Sacred Love was quite messy with a lot of covers, re-recording and live versions of old songs, and Mary J. Blidge completely out of place in one of the songs. Then he did the lute thing that was unlistenable, and soon after he brought The Police back, which I enjoyed of course. He now admits to be in a creative gridlock, and prefers to tour his old material. I'm fine with that, and by what I saw last Sunday, his band is on fire.

I'm bummed that the Police reunion didn't produce an album. I think that would have been great. I saw them at Fenway Park that summer, and they were as good as when I saw them on the Synchronicity tour.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 21 2012, 08:02 AM)

I'm bummed that the Police reunion didn't produce an album. I think that would have been great. I saw them at Fenway Park that summer, and they were as good as when I saw them on the Synchronicity tour.

I read on StingUS that they thought about it, but eventually decided it was best to just do a final tour and end it on a high note. Heaven knows what they would sound like if something new came out in 2009...

The DVD that came out of that tour was awesome, especially the documentary on the bonus disc. The highlights were Stewart saying to his roadie "careful with my gong! It's bigger than Neil Peart's gong!", and Sting giving Andy a hard time during rehearsals. He stops a song and Andy says "what?! I was singing in key!". Sting goes "yes, you were singing in key, you just were not singing what I told you to".

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 21 2012, 09:08 AM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 21 2012, 08:02 AM)

I read on StingUS that they thought about it, but eventually decided it was best to just do a final tour and end it on a high note. Heaven knows what they would sound like if something new came out in 2009...

The DVD that came out of that tour was awesome, especially the documentary on the bonus disc. The highlights were Stewart saying to his roadie "careful with my gong! It's bigger than Neil Peart's gong!", and Sting giving Andy a hard time during rehearsals. He stops a song and Andy says "what?! I was singing in key!". Sting goes "yes, you were singing in key, you just were not singing what I told you to".

I'll have to check out that DVD.

There's also a rant by Stewart when Sting tries to dictate how he wants some drum fills to be played. Stewart says something like: "Modern Drummer Magazine should give me an award for thsi drum fill alone, and you want me to change it!?!?!?". Their fights are so funny that they almost sound rehearsed at times.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 21 2012, 09:34 AM)
There's also a rant by Stewart when Sting tries to dictate how he wants some drum fills to be played. Stewart says something like: "Modern Drummer Magazine should give me an award for thsi drum fill alone, and you want me to change it!?!?!?". Their fights are so funny that they almost sound rehearsed at times.

Copeland is such an underrated drummer. The drummer in the garage band I played bass in back in junior high and high school always placed him in the same class as Peart. So inventive.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 21 2012, 08:40 AM)
QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 21 2012, 09:34 AM)

Copeland is such an underrated drummer. The drummer in the garage band I played bass in back in junior high and high school always placed him in the same class as Peart. So inventive.

Yes, he's easily in my top 5 drummers of all time.

By the way, Sting said on stage when introducing Vinnie Colaiuta on Sunday "the best drummer on the planet, Vinnie Colaiuta"...and looked at the crowd with a grin that meant "there, I said it!!!"

I love a lot of the Police. When they're good, they're among the best. With Sting's solo career, I like a song here and a song there. His solo stuff is a little too smooth and polished and lacks the edge Copeland and Summers gives his songs.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 21 2012, 02:33 AM)

I saw him live twice - I loved his version of the Beatles Day in the Life...

Wish I would have checked - he was thru Chicago in Nov.... nothing close to Milwaukee coming up.