Earliest Rush concert

Earthshine

QUOTE (Chronos @ Jun 17 2012, 11:57 PM)
Power Windows tour, Jan. 30, 1986, Cow Palace, San Francisco, Steve Morse opening.

We were in the total nosebleed section, um, "wreathed in smoke."

Was there!!! 1022.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 19 2012, 12:35 PM)
1981 Moving Pictures
Hollywood Sportatorium, Hollywood, FL

Got tear gassed and crushed against a chain link fence in a muddy melee' with cops. I was 18.

Worst concert arena ever. We called it the "Distortatorium"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sportatorium

A good friend of mine was at that show. The opening act was "Riot" which was fitting because there almost was a riot with Neil being hours late (recounted in one of his books too) and then the police tear gassing....

I saw a HYF show at the Sportatorium.

March 1981 Maple Leaf Gardens, saw the first two of three nights. FM opened. The sound was very much like the Exit Stage Left album, and not very loud. I was surprised because I had read about Rush being a loud band. I've seen every tour since then at least once in Toronto, plus an occasional show in Montreal or Ottawa. The signals tour had better sound, louder and very clear; The Payolas opened. Grace under pressure was a low point in that the sound was not as clear and the show was only an hour and 45 minutes; Red Rider opened. I was not as excited during that show, but I really like the video from that show. Power Windows was the first time I thought the lighting was on par with acts of the size of Rush, and the show was almost 2 hours... that was the last time a Rush show was under 2 hours; FM opened. HYF was not as fun for me. My friends were not interested and I didn't feel as immersed in the show; Chalk Circle opened. Presto was a jump up in lighting and volume (Voivod opened) and RTB has what i think may have been the best lighting (not counting the video); The Tragically Hip opened. CP seemed like a step down, but I liked the album (The Doughboys opened in Montreal and I Mother Earth opened in Toronto). On the T4E tour the sound was horrible in Montreal and excellent in Toronto. Really enjoyed the Vapor Trails show at the Molson Amphitheatre (5th row) but sound was not great at the Air Canada show a few months later. R30 was a great show. Thought the production and sound was excellent on the Snakes & Arrows tour... enjoyed the first leg more than the second but both were great. I would have dropped Spindrift and Armour & Sword for other tracks. I enjoyed the Time Machine tour (had been hoping to see The Camera Eye played again) but would rank it below the Snakes & Arrows tour.

If I Had to rank on combination of enjoyment, and production:

Snakes & Arrows

R30

Signals

Moving Pictures

Roll The Bones,Vapor Trails,Test For Echo (can't decide)

Power Windows

Presto

Time Machine

Counterparts

Hold Your Fire

Grace Under Pressure

QUOTE (bytored @ Jun 20 2012, 07:09 AM)
QUOTE (Chronos @ Jun 17 2012, 11:57 PM)
Power Windows tour, Jan. 30, 1986, Cow Palace, San Francisco, Steve Morse opening.

We were in the total nosebleed section, um, "wreathed in smoke."

Was there!!! 1022.gif

Oh, cool! My next show was May 24, 1986, in Sacramento (Fabulous Thunderbirds opening). Were you at that one too?

It was June 9th 1981...San Diego sports arena. S.D. Ca.

FM was the opening act. It was a GREAT show!!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (cygnify @ Jun 20 2012, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 19 2012, 12:35 PM)
1981 Moving Pictures
Hollywood Sportatorium, Hollywood, FL

Got tear gassed and crushed against a chain link fence in a muddy melee' with cops. I was 18.

Worst concert arena ever. We called it the "Distortatorium"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Sportatorium

A good friend of mine was at that show. The opening act was "Riot" which was fitting because there almost was a riot with Neil being hours late (recounted in one of his books too) and then the police tear gassing....

I saw a HYF show at the Sportatorium.

wasn't that at Miami Arena? I could have sworn that was when Candlebox opened for them

November 29, 1982 Capital Centre -- Largo, Maryland (Rory Gallagher)

SIGNALS PROPER TOUR

Intro (This was the first time the "Three Stooges Theme" was used.)
  The Spirit Of Radio
  Tom Sawyer
  Freewill
  Digital Man
  Subdivisions
  Vital Signs
  The Camera Eye (This was an abbreviated version which was later dropped from all the Germany dates.)
  Closer To The Heart
  Chemistry (This was dropped from all shows beginning on May 6th, 1983.)
  The Analog Kid
  Broon's Bane
  The Trees
  Red Barchetta
  The Weapon (With the "Count Floyd" introduction.)
  New World Man
  Limelight
  Countdown
  Encore: 2112
                Overture
                The Temples Of Syrinx
  Xanadu
  La Villa Strangiato
  In The Mood
  YYZ
  Drum Solo
  YYZ

I still have the t-shirt & tour book I purchased at this show. www.cygnus-x1.net

May 11 1983 - 'Signals from Rush' with special guest 'Nazareth'. The show was in Eppelheim a really small village outside of Heidelberg, Germany. There were not more than 1500 people at the show. Unf*ckinforgetable!!!
  • Like 1

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 20 2012, 09:29 AM)
It was June 9th 1981...San Diego sports arena. S.D. Ca.
FM was the opening act. It was a GREAT show!!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I was at the June 7th concert in Fresno, Ca. Same opening act. 2.gif

QUOTE (johndyar @ Jun 19 2012, 05:04 PM)
QUOTE (Kelly D @ Jun 19 2012, 05:01 PM)
QUOTE (johndyar @ Jun 18 2012, 01:07 PM)
December, 1974 at the Cleveland Agora was the first time. Next was a year later in 1975 (November I think) at the Akron Civic Theater opening for Ted Nugent. They played The Necromancer!

As Bubbles would say, "Oh my f@#$!" That's awesome! trink39.gif common001.gif 653.gif

I tried to make the Summer 1974 show at the Cleveland Agora that ended up being recorded and played on WMMS (radio station) and lately released on CD as "ABC 1974" but couldn't get a ride. I remember that the 1975 Akron show ticket price was $5.65 (I had to borrow the money from my Mom who was in the hospital at the time!)

Great pics and a fine day...thanks for sharing!

trink39.gif

For me, it was the Signals Tour. I was introduced to them right after Moving Pictures was made. Unfortunately I was too young to know what a Rush Tour was! sad.gif

By the time The Signals Tour came around, I was chomping at the bit to see them live. I was so totally blown away out how good they are live! Not many bands can PERFECTLY reproduce the sounds on the album live! Not to mention what insane musicians they all are!

I have seen them every Tour since Signals. Almost always more than once!

I would have seen them 4 Times for S&A, but they rescheduled on me at the Red Rocks and I couldn't afford to go back! DOH!!!

Looking forward to MANY shows for this coming tour! - MGM on Nov. 23rd - Irvine, San Diego, and Colorado in 2013. I'd love to see them in Boston, or NYC!!!

'86 or '87 in Calgary.

It would be another 10 years before I would see them again in '97.

My mom was a bit overbearing while I was growing up. She wouldn't let me see Rush when I was younger. I had to wait until I was 17 and I got to see them in March of 86 for the Power Windows Tour at the Rosemont Horizon.

QUOTE (johndyar @ Jun 21 2012, 06:25 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Jun 21 2012, 03:43 AM)
Richfield Coliseum Feb,18th or 19th? 1980. cool10.gif  trink38.gif

I was there! Is that when FM opened for them?

That was the Permanent Waves tour. FM only opened for RUSH in 81.

I'm pretty sure bout that. Headliner's usually have different band's opening for each tour.

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Jun 18 2012, 10:35 AM)
RTB:
June 27, 1992 Alpine Valley Music Theatre. East Troy, Wisconsin (Mr. Big)

I was at that show too! trink39.gif