CA Geddy best playing since....

avenger

i have to give it to geddy on this album...his playing is all over the record and really speaks to the Rush appeal of the music.

i am a bass player, and have learned all his stuff...in the past each album would force me to learn another technique...

the rickenbacker years were busy and rich(i play a rick as well)...even MP which was a Jazz standing in for the rick sound was busy and rich...

then the thin/busy era of the steinberger/Wal basses...

i had to learn triplets(marathon) and muting(territories) and chords(force ten)...

back to thick sounding bass/jazz with the grunge years(CP and TFE)...BUT now he was using this new flamenco style of fingerpicking...so the bass lines changed...

this was not my favorite bass era...

snakes was part flamenco and part old school...but CA seems to have him back to crunchy linear bass lines...all over the record...

even though its no Rickenbacker...the jazz bass is set to sound similar..crunchy trebly and popping....

So to me this is the best bass sounding record since.....HOLD YOUR FIRE.

yep, Presto and RTB have a few good bass moments, but the bass was really serving the poppiness of the songs at that point...

HOLD YOUR FIRE still has the magical Time stand still, Open Secrets, Turn the page, Hight water(i love that bass line), PRime Mover....

great stuff on this record for the bass lover...

SO CA best bass since HYF. your thoughts...

peace.

EXACTLY my thoughts. Best playing on an album (overall...all album through) since Hold Your Fire. He has wonderful moments on other records (parts of Counterparts comes to mind, the instrumental and Animate, for instance)...but this is great playing throughout. Love the tonality too on CA. Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2012, 04:17 PM)
Best playing since Moving Pictures IMO

smile.gif

friend...

you cannot overlook the amazing rick sound and playing of Signals..

digital man, analog kid, subdiv, even countdown...

and the holy Wal of Power Windows still holds up as one of my favorite bass albums of all time...

peace.

QUOTE (avenger @ Jun 17 2012, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2012, 04:17 PM)
Best playing since Moving Pictures IMO

smile.gif

friend...

you cannot overlook the amazing rick sound and playing of Signals..

digital man, analog kid, subdiv, even countdown...

and the holy Wal of Power Windows still holds up as one of my favorite bass albums of all time...

peace.

oh I don't overlook his playing on any album. 2112 taught me to play bass 36 years ago.

QUOTE (avenger @ Jun 17 2012, 04:02 PM)
i have to give it to geddy on this album...his playing is all over the record and really speaks to the Rush appeal of the music.

i am a bass player, and have learned all his stuff...in the past each album would force me to learn another technique...

the rickenbacker years were busy and rich(i play a rick as well)...even MP which was a Jazz standing in for the rick sound was busy and rich...

then the thin/busy era of the steinberger/Wal basses...
i had to learn triplets(marathon) and muting(territories) and chords(force ten)...

back to thick sounding bass/jazz with the grunge years(CP and TFE)...BUT now he was using this new flamenco style of fingerpicking...so the bass lines changed...
this was not my favorite bass era...

snakes was part flamenco and part old school...but CA seems to have him back to crunchy linear bass lines...all over the record...

even though its no Rickenbacker...the jazz bass is set to sound similar..crunchy trebly and popping....

So to me this is the best bass sounding record since.....HOLD YOUR FIRE.

yep, Presto and RTB have a few good bass moments, but the bass was really serving the poppiness of the songs at that point...
HOLD YOUR FIRE still has the magical Time stand still, Open Secrets, Turn the page, Hight water(i love that bass line), PRime Mover....
great stuff on this record for the bass lover...

SO CA best bass since HYF. your thoughts...

peace.

I'm also a bass player, and I completely agree. CA is his best overall "bass album" since HYF, a monster bass album!