Best Chorus on CA

avenger

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 05:36 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 05:17 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 05:02 PM)
I guess I should list the one that I don't care for, as most of them I like!

I'm not a big fan of Carnies' chorus.

that's it

Yeah, I think this is my answer too. Carnies least (tho' really not "bad")...and othewise a lot of good ones to choose from.

I dig that MOST of them are not conventional song title choruses. Thank you to Neil for not shoe-horning "the wreckers" or the word "carnies" into a chorus.

I think "shoe-horning" has just taken the number one slot from "brick-walled" in the TRF Overused Phrases top 10 chart...

tongue.gif

It is what it is. Whatever.

What you've got there is the current #3 with the all time overall #5 which is also the current #26...

trink38.gif

At the end of the day....

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 17 2012, 05:36 PM)
I don't even know what shoe-horning means confused13.gif

It's when a man has stronger feelings than normal for his wife's footwear...

ph34r.gif

So, if any of us see some guy loitering around the ladies' shoe department, we should go ask him about the new Rush album? ohmy.gif

Basically forcing something to fit. I like that the band actively didn't seek to find room for all the song titles in the song. Thankful that "carnies" isn't uttered in the song, especially not in the chorus. They made some nice discretionary choices, I think.

Oh and this is an actual shoe horn, a device of old to ease your foot into your shoe without destroying the heel of your shoe:

http://www.crobike.de/en/werbemittel_bilder/promopeddler/8000/17761.jpg

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 06:17 PM)
I dig that MOST of them are not conventional song title choruses.  Thank you to Neil for not shoe-horning "the wreckers" or the word "carnies" into a chorus.

Not to get all chicken-eggy, but I would assume that the song titles came after, or were working titles that became the title because they fit best. (In theory, he could've called Anarchist "Missing Part of Me" and Wreckers "All I Know Is" or "Too Good to Be True" or something, but decided the "character name" titles worked better.)

I don't imagine there would ever have been a temptation for Neil to use those words in the chorus, even if he did start out with them as titles. They seem so clearly to be general descriptions rather than lyrical hooks.

Out of curiosity, are there particular Rush songs you're thinking of that have "shoehorned" titles?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 05:23 PM)

Basically forcing something to fit. I like that the band actively didn't seek to find room for all the song titles in the song. Thankful that "carnies" isn't uttered in the song, especially not in the chorus. They made some nice discretionary choices, I think.

Oh and this is an actual shoe horn, a device of old to ease your foot into your shoe without destroying the heel of your shoe:

http://www.crobike.de/en/werbemittel_bilder/promopeddler/8000/17761.jpg

Device of old? I use one six days a week!

tongue.gif

The Wreckers, BU2B, Carnies, Headlong Flight.

I agree that a good chorus makes me want to sing along. For me, The Wreckers, Wish Them Well, Headlong Flight and Caravan do that. I love the chorus of the Garden but I just want to listen to it and bask in it, not sing along.

It has to be Caravan and Carnies for me... " the glint of iron wheels, their bodies spin in a clockwork dance, the smell of flint and steel, wheel of fate a game of chance. How I pray just to get away, to carry me anywhere, sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers" Not easy to sing but I love the melody of it and the song rocks! :haz:

I can't stop thinking big, in a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big :yes:

• Like 2

I found that when I actually heard the songs in concert, I sang along with ones I didn't expect. The Wreckers and Halo Effect were the surprises. Headlong Flight and The Garden were pretty much expected. :)

It changes a lot for me but at the moment it's the title track. What a perfect epic song.

(Hell, where's that damn DVD/BluRay?)

The Wreckers: yeah, obviously the best on the album. It grows on you, especially "sometimes the target is you" I'd call it a solid double, but not the best on the album

The Garden: STEEERIKE!! Nothing about this song turns me on... bland music, sappy lyrics ("a garden to nurture and protect" nearly triggered my gag reflex)

Headlong Flight: The chorus would be better if it were repeated less often. Still a double off the wall.

Caravan: i know many complain abou the repeated line...thinking big...but i like it for that reason..i like the line and the melody...i especially like the chords underneath the vocals...

triple. Total agreement here...and when the synths rise up on the last chorus line, it's epic.

CLockwork ANgels: again, the prechorus really sets up the chorus...triple. I go even farther.. Homerun!

Anarchist: double. This took a couple listens to "click", but when it did, the lyrics are amazing "pools of poison, the scarlet mist that spills over into rage" Triple

Wish them Well: this should be a massive chorusa bigger vocal presentation would have sounded magic to me...like the "mirror always lies" feel from Warpaint. single. I like the song a lot, but I agree the chorus is the weakest part... War Paint is a nice reference for a more aggressive delivery. Single

Carnies: Carnies is a great song but more collectively than due to its chorus..

single. The riff and the line "A wheel of fate, a game of chance" are what first grabbed me. Double.

Halo Effect: just add counter voice or other harmony's or more strings or even more electric gtr...just make that last chorus a must-listen to moment(like the garden...you HAVE to listen to the whole ending..so much is elevated)...foul ball. OK, we're on different planets here, because what you want added would ruin it for me. The simplicity of Halo Effect is what gets it over: a man contemplating the first of many times he's been a fool. Another double off the wall.

7 Cities of gold: just bland. a good song to listen to due to the playing..nothing melodic to catch on to. foul ball Say what?!? After the first half of the chorus arms the rocket, the last 3 lines set it off "Glowing in my dreams like hallucinations Glitter in the sun like a revelation Distant as a comet or a constellation" HOMERUN!

BU2B: great playing..again, the chorus just leaves me cold...foul ball. Say what?? (the sequel :P ) Possibly my favorite chorus lyrics on the album, delivered with a touch of nastiness, and catchy as hell HOMERUN!

BU2B2: steeeeeeeRIKE! Yup, total miss. Should have just put the lyrics in the liner notes as exposition instead of recording it.

I like the chorus from Wish Them Well. That whole song actually means a lot to me because of the meaning.

Funny, I still have no idea what any of these songs sound like or what they're about. I gave up long ago, after only 1.5 listens.

The whole album sounds exactly like Hemispheres. You're missing out. :yes:

Hemispheres is profound, sacred to me. CA is an errand boy sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.