Best Chorus on CA

avenger

I know there is lots of chat about melody, and chorus appeal on this forum..

listening to the album i always think about the songwriting, not just the playing..and usually with the trio the playing can be a bit superior to the songwriting or arranging...

but they do pull it off and on CA there are some strong chorus's and some weak ones...

here's my favorites:

The Wreckers: yeah, obviously the best on the album. great melody, catchy wording(not forced), Ged using his SIGNALS voice(my preference), strings add to the intensity...homerun.

The Garden: more for the coda than the basic chorus, but the lyrics, the message and the three devices for the chorus all work so beautifully...

three devices---in the fullness of time melody, a garden to love and protect main melody..and then the overlying "its a measure of a life"..which is where the magic happens...homerun.

Headlong Flight: YES! i do think this is a great chorus with a great melody. once you get the feel for what they are doing, its a bouncy, sing'with, cadence driven chorus...i always think of EPIC by Faith No More on this, and i love it..

homerun.

Caravan: i know many complain abou the repeated line...thinking big...but i like it for that reason..i like the line and the melody...i especially like the chords underneath the vocals...

triple.

CLockwork ANgels: again, the prechorus really sets up the chorus...the 6/4 groove is accented in the vocal phrasing..and it works...i love the DOUBLE AGENT/NOCTURNE/TEST FOR ECHO/CUT TO THE CHASE chords pattern(yeah, this means its a bit overused...but CA is the best of its usage)...

majestic and big..triple.

Anarchist: ok, the melody is a bit tough...but the driving bassline really adds to the appeal...again, it harkens to Signals for me...and i like it.

double.

Wish them Well: this should be a massive chorus...so sing-alongish...i think i like the melody, i just wish it had more density to it..it is an anthemic type of message...so a bigger vocal presentation would have sounded magic to me...like the "mirroro always lies" feel from Warpaint..just a choral of voices for this philisophical line about life....

single.

Carnies: the melody is ok on this chorus. the music is roomy so its nice. but nothing spectacular. Carnies is a great song but more collectively than due to its chorus..

single.

Halo Effect: why isnt this chorus on the top of my list?!! such an opportunity.

i do love the sound of the song, the verses are just right...but the chorus's are just passable...at the minimum they should have really upped the presentation after that cool gtr break...even with the same melody, just add counter voice or other harmony's or more strings or even more electric gtr...just make that last chorus a must-listen to moment(like the garden...you HAVE to listen to the whole ending..so much is elevated)...

foul ball.

7 Cities of gold: just bland. a good song to listen to due to the playing..nothing melodic to catch on to.

foul ball.

BU2B: great playing..again, the chorus just leaves me cold...

foul ball.

BU2B2: steeeeeeeRIKE! i dont mind interlude pieces...but it is devoid of melody.

droning with a string section????

and does everyone realize that the verse of BU2 is presented 3 times on this album in 3 different styles?

acoustic into BLUESY

main song HEAVY ROCK

bu2b2 STRING SECTION

a major miss here...this should have been more interesting.

love the album though, where chorus's let me down, playing or arrangements make up for them...and that is what RUSH is in most cases...

Peace.

• Like 1

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 17 2012, 01:20 PM)
The Wreckers, The Anarchist, Clockwork Angels and Headlong Flight.

Those are also my favorite songs on the album.

These, except sub The Garden for Headlong Flight.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Jun 17 2012, 02:02 PM)
7 Cities and the Wreckers 1022.gif

Anarchist totally leaves me cold during the chorus. confused13.gif

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black

The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage

The things I've always been denied

An early promise that somehow died

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage

I think it's supposed to be cold.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 17 2012, 02:35 PM)

I would agree with that assessment.

Listening to "Anarchist" right now. The chorus reminds me a lot of "Ceiling Unlimited," especially the "A missing part of me..." line.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2012, 02:01 PM)

Listening to "Anarchist" right now. The chorus reminds me a lot of "Ceiling Unlimited," especially the "A missing part of me..." line.

Anarchist to me has a very strong and driving chorus, aided by the strings.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jun 17 2012, 02:01 PM)

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I kind of think of "The Anarchist" in the same concept suit with "Lock and Key" e.g. "people will kill you for some fanatical cause" and the anarchist is missing something and thus does not keep his killer instinct under lock and key.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 05:02 PM)
I guess I should list the one that I don't care for, as most of them I like!

I'm not a big fan of Carnies' chorus.

that's it

Yeah, I think this is my answer too. Carnies least (tho' really not "bad")...and othewise a lot of good ones to choose from.

I dig that MOST of them are not conventional song title choruses. Thank you to Neil for not shoe-horning "the wreckers" or the word "carnies" into a chorus.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 05:17 PM)

that's it

Yeah, I think this is my answer too. Carnies least (tho' really not "bad")...and othewise a lot of good ones to choose from.

I dig that MOST of them are not conventional song title choruses. Thank you to Neil for not shoe-horning "the wreckers" or the word "carnies" into a chorus.

I think "shoe-horning" has just taken the number one slot from "brick-walled" in the TRF Overused Phrases top 10 chart...

tongue.gif

I don't like The Wreckers much at all, actually. I sounds like it could be a TFE Bonus track hold the orchestra.

Carnies has a really cool chorus. The effects and melody is different from anything else they've ever written, and I suppose that's why it's not so hot among most.

Headlong Flight is kick ass front to back, so I'll include that too..

And finally, Wish Them Well is fun. Yeah, I like that one.

Edited by Ovningskora

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 05:22 PM)

that's it

I think "shoe-horning" has just taken the number one slot from "brick-walled" in the TRF Overused Phrases top 10 chart...

tongue.gif

It is what it is. Whatever.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 05:34 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2012, 05:22 PM)

that's it

tongue.gif

It is what it is. Whatever.

What you've got there is the current #3 with the all time overall #5 which is also the current #26...

trink38.gif