Why not Japan?

Earthshine

Should Rush tour Japan this time?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rush tour Japan this time?

• Yes! Absolutely! Tons of Rush fans there!
    • Yes! Absolutely! Not enough Rush fans there!
    • Yes! The band needs to eat more sushi!
    • Yes! The road crew needs to drink more Asahi!
    • No! Neil will retire if he sees girls outside his hotel!
    • No! Neil will freak out if fans chase him everywhere!
    • No! Alex will get all the attention breaking the band up!
    • No! Geddy will try to speak Japanese to the audience!

Rush has only toured Japan once and it was very short. However, there are TONS of Rush fans in the Land of the Rising Sun. In fact, many travel to the United States to see them since Rush won't play there. Don't you think it is time for Rush to play Japan?

There was a problem in 1984 involving Neil and Yakuza beating a woman. He vowed they would never go back.

Also, unfortunately there are NOT many Rush fans in Japan.

There aren't even that many Sabbath fans there. And they started everything.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 01:01 PM)
There was a problem in 1984 involving Neil and Yakuza beating a woman. He vowed they would never go back.

I read that yakuza thing too. But who knows how much of that is the real reason. If it is the only reason for not coming back, then frankly it's pretty harsh.

Anyway, yeah, I have met only ONE Rush fan in all my time out here. I'd love for them to come but I don't see it happening. I said before, the only way I could see it happening is if they play one of the summer rock festivals (i.e. Fuji Rock or SummerSonic)...but I can't see that happening either.

For whatever reason, Mr. Big has a MUCH bigger following than Rush out here.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2012, 04:08 AM)

I read that yakuza thing too. But who knows how much of that is the real reason. If it is the only reason for not coming back, then frankly it's pretty harsh.

Anyway, yeah, I have met only ONE Rush fan in all my time out here. I'd love for them to come but I don't see it happening. I said before, the only way I could see it happening is if they play one of the summer rock festivals (i.e. Fuji Rock or SummerSonic)...but I can't see that happening either.

Bahahaha. I'm trying to imagine Rush playing A-nation. Bahahahahahaha

Also, if they played a festival like Loud Park. e.t.c. they BETTER put SCANDAL on the bill. ohmy.gif. Holy shit. also Shonen Knife.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 06:18 PM)

Also, if they played a festival like Loud Park. e.t.c. they BETTER put SCANDAL on the bill. ohmy.gif. Holy shit. also Shonen Knife.

f***ing A-nation and it's Ayumi Hamasaki, Kumi Koda, SMAP, and other bullshit wonders!

Seriously, the ONLY chance Rush has IS to play Fuji Rock or SummerSonic. Having said that, J-folk will go to see nearly any Western act even though they may not know anything about them....I went to see TOOL out here several years back and many folks in the crowd knew absolutely nothing about them. They seemed to enjoy it at least.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2012, 04:26 AM)

f***ing A-nation and it's Ayumi Hamasaki, Kumi Koda, SMAP, and other bullshit wonders!

Seriously, the ONLY chance Rush has IS to play Fuji Rock or SummerSonic. Having said that, J-folk will go to see nearly any Western act even though they may not know anything about them....I went to see TOOL out here several years back and many folks in the crowd knew absolutely nothing about them. They seemed to enjoy it at least.

Assuming inflation and everything. How much do you reckon a Rush ticket would sell for over there? 20000¥?

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 06:29 PM)

Assuming inflation and everything. How much do you reckon a Rush ticket would sell for over there? 20000¥?

As a single act, probably between ichiman-15k. As part of one of those summer festivals it's 12-15,000 for a single day or 22k for 2 days. But one day at one of those festivals means over a dozen bands (on various stages) in over 12 hours. If bands like Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Tool, etc. can play those festivals then so can Rush.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2012, 04:36 AM)

As a single act, probably between ichiman-15k. As part of one of those summer festivals it's 12-15,000 for a single day or 22k for 2 days. But one day at one of those festivals means over a dozen bands (on various stages) in over 12 hours. If bands like Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dream Theater, Tool, etc. can play those festivals then so can Rush.

15k? That's not bad at all. Around 190USD. That's much cheaper than Download Festival. Even 22k isn't bad, and i'd rather pay the 22 for the 2 days, as opposed to the 15 for the single act. 22,000¥=279$

I may have to fly over there. I know I was planning on doing that earlier last year, but things got in the way. Time to plan another trip to Osaka/Kobe/Okayama/Kyoto again.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 06:47 PM)

15k? That's not bad at all. Around 190USD. That's much cheaper than Download Festival. Even 22k isn't bad, and i'd rather pay the 22 for the 2 days, as opposed to the 15 for the single act. 22,000¥=279$

I may have to fly over there. I know I was planning on doing that earlier last year, but things got in the way. Time to plan another trip to Osaka/Kobe/Okayama/Kyoto again.

For SummerSonic they always split up the good bands. For example, when Metallica and Tool were the headliners a few years back, they didn't play on the same day. Soooo, if you wanted to see both you HAD TO pay for both days. Fuji Rock is over 3 days I think and is more than SummerSonic. I've never been to that.

As for RUSH as a single act out here, I'd GUESS it'd be 10-15k (ichiman being on the very low side for something of Rush caliber). But I COULD see it reaching 20k as you suggested. f***ing Chaka Khan still plays clubs out here occasionally, charges 8k, AND can sell those tickets.

Oh yeah, you should see who's playing first because most of the acts imho are not worth it. I've only been once to SummerSonic here in Osaka for a reason...and it's not because I'm cheap.

My 2006 (or '07) SumerSonic anecdote: I was lucky enough to see Metallica play ALL of Master of Puppets since it was it's 20th anniversary. Some Aussie in the crowd wanted to get a mosh pit going so he was putting himself in a frenzy and trying to get others around him to do the same. His head looked like it was burning red. THAT Japanese crowd was not really into it...probably because they generally aren't into moshing AND most of them were very casual (if even that) Metallica fans anyway. My buddies and I laugh at the dude trying so hard to get the most pit going when he gives up and screams in frustration at those around him, "What the f**k kind of fans are you?! Useless!" Then he throws his plastic beer glass on the ground in a macho temper tantrum. Some of the J-crowd (as expected) smile awkwardly, are scared, or are totally confused at his rant...I'd guess that 99.9% of them didn't even know what the hell he was saying. laugh.gif

Poor dumb bastard should've just let them enjoy the gig in their own way...or at least not throw the temper tantrum. laugh.gif

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 16 2012, 11:01 PM)

I've never heard of this. Elaboration/link?

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 17 2012, 05:21 AM)

Oh yeah, you should see who's playing first because most of the acts imho are not worth it. I've only been once to SummerSonic here in Osaka for a reason...and it's not because I'm cheap.

My 2006 (or '07) SumerSonic anecdote: I was lucky enough to see Metallica play ALL of Master of Puppets since it was it's 20th anniversary. Some Aussie in the crowd wanted to get a mosh pit going so he was putting himself in a frenzy and trying to get others around him to do the same. His head looked like it was burning red. THAT Japanese crowd was not really into it...probably because they generally aren't into moshing AND most of them were very casual (if even that) Metallica fans anyway. My buddies and I laugh at the dude trying so hard to get the most pit going when he gives up and screams in frustration at those around him, "What the f**k kind of fans are you?! Useless!" Then he throws his plastic beer glass on the ground in a macho temper tantrum. Some of the J-crowd (as expected) smile awkwardly, are scared, or are totally confused at his rant...I'd guess that 99.9% of them didn't even know what the hell he was saying. laugh.gif

Poor dumb bastard should've just let them enjoy the gig in their own way...or at least not throw the temper tantrum. laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif He didn't respect their concert values.

Most Japanese I know, just do the "energy throwback" thing, where they throw their hands towards the stage in time to the beat.

I'd love to see Rush stage a concert in Japan. The expressions used would no doubt be amusing.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jun 17 2012, 11:55 AM)

I don't remember where, but i'm pretty sure it was in a magazine interview, or something to that effect, with either Geddy, or Alex.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jun 17 2012, 11:55 AM)

I don't remember where, but i'm pretty sure it was in a magazine interview, or something to that effect, with either Geddy, or Alex.

Geddy discussed the incident in detail in the book Contents Under Pressure.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 17 2012, 04:47 PM)
Wait, what? Neil beat up a girl???

No, Neil saw Yakuza (Japanese equivalent of Crips and Bloods) beating up women. He stopped it, I believe.

Women are still not exactly treated right over there (By western standards anyway, however, it is part of their culture.). They are expected to do things, like cook, and clean. However it is better than before. The man will help if asked.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 17 2012, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 17 2012, 06:03 PM)
They are expected to do things, like cook, and clean.

Isn't that what they are supposed to do? rofl3.gif

JUST KIDDING! yes.gif trink39.gif bekloppt.gif

Yes, but without help. For example, a female American that I am friends with, is married a Japanese man. He's a very nice fellow.

But she was telling me of the culture clash. She was working around the house the other day, cleaning, picking up after their child and all that good stuff, she became very tired, but still had to make food for when he came home, since that was her job.

She made him a Tuna Fish sandwhich, and Tea, and light stuff.

He was offended, because she did not make him a dinner. He enjoyed the sandwhich enough, but was surprised, because he felt she didn't care about him enough to make the dinner.

They had a slight disagreement, she told him she would do it, because she loved him, not because she was a woman.

So there's still slight discrimination. They do not live in America, they live in Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido, Nihon (Japan in Japanese. You can also say Nippon.)

Anyway, regarding Rush touring Japan. They would be best routed to playing a major city, with Japanese opening acts. The two that come to mind are Shonen Knife, and SCANDAL. Both are rock outfits. Both would also get the audience pumped, even if Rush isn't as aggressive a band as these bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4SrjGijf4A&feature=related Scandal

Shonen Knife, any punk rock fan oughta know who they are.

A Japanese friend recommended flumpool over Scandal though.

Another Japanese friend recommended X Japan, and Dir En Grey, the one who likes Rush.

Edited by D3strukt

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Jun 18 2012, 08:03 AM)

No, Neil saw Yakuza (Japanese equivalent of Crips and Bloods) beating up women. He stopped it, I believe.

Women are still not exactly treated right over there (By western standards anyway, however, it is part of their culture.). They are expected to do things, like cook, and clean. However it is better than before. The man will help if asked.

A few things...

First, a Japanese husband may or may NOT help if asked. BUT before even that, he almost definitely will not even be asked (that is if he's married to a Japanese woman anyway). I know several J-salarymen (over 40) that have NEVER and I mean NEVER have turned on the stove or washing machine. And the ones that do help are often so proud to brag about it. [[f**k man, you made a salad. Big deal. Your wife is making the other 90% of the meal. tongue.gif ]]. Your American friend who is married to the J-guy is in a fairly rare marriage. He would be considered open-minded by most Japanese.

Second, I wouldn't really say the yakuza are the equivalent to the Crips or Bloods. They're more like the mafia/mob.

But yeah, I read about that incident too and I can't remember what Peart exactly did at that time.

Last, I don't think any of those J-bands could do Rush justice. Actually, Shonen Knife was the first band I saw out here (in a very small club)...and they're still playing small clubs. They're a fun band for sure but no chance in hell could they help Rush pack an arena when they're currently only charging about 3-4k yen a gig.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 18 2012, 05:49 AM)

A few things...

First, a Japanese husband may or may NOT help if asked. BUT before even that, he almost definitely will not even be asked (that is if he's married to a Japanese woman anyway). I know several J-salarymen (over 40) that have NEVER and I mean NEVER have turned on the stove or washing machine. And the ones that do help are often so proud to brag about it. [[f**k man, you made a salad. Big deal. Your wife is making the other 90% of the meal. tongue.gif ]]. Your American friend who is married to the J-guy is in a fairly rare marriage. He would be considered open-minded by most Japanese.

Second, I wouldn't really say the yakuza are the equivalent to the Crips or Bloods. They're more like the mafia/mob.

But yeah, I read about that incident too and I can't remember what Peart exactly did at that time.

Last, I don't think any of those J-bands could do Rush justice. Actually, Shonen Knife was the first band I saw out here (in a very small club)...and they're still playing small clubs. They're a fun band for sure but no chance in hell could they help Rush pack an arena when they're currently only charging about 3-4k yen a gig.

So it really is still as bad as I thought..... Sometimes I feel that Japan's culture is what propels it forward, yet also hinders it.

You may be right about SK, more so than SCANDAL.

I think X Japan would work though, they're a very popular J-metal band. Older too. (rip always hide.sad.gif )

A few things...

I have been to Japan many times, have known many Japanese people. I agree with you here.

I also will say I have known many Western women who were married to Japanese men. 98% of the time it DOES NOT WORK!

On the other hand, most Western men I know who are married to Japanese women are happy as can be! common001.gif yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 19 2012, 01:09 PM)

A few things...

I have been to Japan many times, have known many Japanese people. I agree with you here.

I also will say I have known many Western women who were married to Japanese men. 98% of the time it DOES NOT WORK!

On the other hand, most Western men I know who are married to Japanese women are happy as can be! common001.gif yes.gif trink39.gif

You haven't met my buddies who are married to J-women. Man, those guys bitch a lot! laugh.gif

Here are how some of those conversations begin...

Mike: Just shoot me Johnny!

Me: Why?

Mike: f***ing Kayo's been on my ass about this or that for the last few weeks.

laugh.gif

Other buddy...

Me: What's up?

Steve: Man, Yuka's been pissing me off lately.

Me: What's she going off about?

Steve: EVERYTHING!!!

laugh.gif

But yeah, I totally know what you're saying Earthshine. yes.gif

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Van Halen has scheduled a few Japanese dates, so why can't Rush?

The story I heard about Neil was that in 1984 during a few concerts he had some issues with triggers and his electronic pads, which forced him to turn his back to the audience to hear what the other two guys were doing. Apparently, turning the back to the audience is a huge offense in Asian culture. Then, they decided not to go back there, or were not invited...