No sophomore slump or I Do The Best I Can

Jmo2112

I think it's worth mentioning that Rush were not victims of the so called sophomore slump. Fly By Night being one of the strongest albums in the Rush canon. Just an observation. And how about Anthem as an opener? Fierce!
  • Like 1

Alot of Rush fans rate that album quite low but I love it (sans Rivendell) and wouldnt change a thing about it (other than the aforementioned Rivendell) wink.gif .

I think what prevented them from having the so-called sophomore slump was having Neil join the band right after the first record. He wasn't a last minute replacement just before entering the studio. They had a chance to bond and gel (sounds like a superglue) while on tour and write songs on the road. It all worked out in the end. smile.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 17 2012, 05:17 AM)
Alot of Rush fans rate that album quite low but I love it (sans Rivendell) and wouldnt change a thing about it (other than the aforementioned Rivendell) wink.gif .

I think what prevented them from having the so-called sophomore slump was having Neil join the band right after the first record. He wasn't a last minute replacement just before entering the studio. They had a chance to bond and gel (sounds like a superglue) while on tour and write songs on the road. It all worked out in the end. smile.gif

Good point about Neil. It's odd that people wouldn't rank FBN very high. It's hands down my favorite non-keyboard album Rush ever released. Clockwork Angels is running a close second! wink.gif

I love Fly By Night, and opening with Anthem rocked my socks completely off. The sound of the album is great, it's like I can feel the youth and exuberance pouring outta the guys through my speakers. And the lyrics remind me of the whole feel of being a teenager moving to adulthood, slightly nervous at the prospect of this vast new world but simultaneously revving ready to go make it mine.

QUOTE (OfficerRabbit @ Jun 18 2012, 01:47 PM)
I love Fly By Night, and opening with Anthem rocked my socks completely off. The sound of the album is great, it's like I can feel the youth and exuberance pouring outta the guys through my speakers. And the lyrics remind me of the whole feel of being a teenager moving to adulthood, slightly nervous at the prospect of this vast new world but simultaneously revving ready to go make it mine.

Really great description of the vibe of that album. I think it was the third Rush album I bought (after Signals and Moving Pictures) and the rawness of it blew my mind. Plus that owl is cool as hell!