BU2B2

theredtamasrule

Initially I knew this little odd bit was a skipper, it wasn't even a real song. Besides I thought it was placed in a bad spot after Headlong Flight. I maintain that it should follow The Wreckers just because of the characters situation in that song. Additionally I think HF should be the last song, just because I want the last song on my rock album to, well, rock.

To that end I have the tracks rearranged to suit my preference. I think it flows better and now, knowing the storyline, having bu2b flow from The Wreckers gives an immediate poignancy. I can almost see the character, having just survived that wreck, thinking the lyrics of bu2b2. I like this little piece now, it fits.

Lyrically it's a positive outlook to the general difficulties we all face. And the last line of "I was brought up to believe" can be seen as either a criticism of belief as in "faith" or an affirmation of belief as in "hope". Personally it resonates with me as the latter, he was brought up to believe, to hope...which, in a weird way, can be an analogy for faith.

So, acceptance of this odd tune now makes for a Rush album that has zero bad tracks in my opinion. That hasn't happened for me since GUP.

1022.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 16 2012, 09:21 AM)
Initially I knew this little odd bit was a skipper, it wasn't even a real song. Besides I thought it was placed in a bad spot after Headlong Flight. I maintain that it should follow The Wreckers just because of the characters situation in that song.[....]
So, acceptance of this odd tune now makes for a Rush album that has zero bad tracks in my opinion. That hasn't happened for me since GUP.

1022.gif

^^Agreed^^ !! trink39.gif

Imo , Ged does not have the kind of voice for this type of song. Ronnie James Dio would have nailed something like this , right in his ballpark

Interesting thought about the rearrangement of tracks. I think from a song mood /feel perspective, the ordering is as it should be (poppy/upbeat Wreckers --> epic Headlong Flight --> quiet interlude --> straight-up rocker --> lush finale), but thinking about the lyrics you make a good point. Dunno if I'll switch the tracks up when I listen though...

I too feel there's not a bad track! But I felt that way about Vapor Trails, too.

[ducks volley of thrown items]

Okay, okay, I take it back! Last album without a bad track was HYF.

[ducks second volley]

But I really *do* like Tai Shan!

[trampled by people running to retrieve thrown items to throw them again]

It might be an "odd" tune, but lyrically, for me... well, it really is where I am in my life at the moment... in the wake of divorce, loss of friends, of family, home...

There's a lot of lyrics on this album that hit me square and hard.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 16 2012, 08:21 AM)

1022.gif

Since GUP you say? Name a bad track off of Power Windows.

QUOTE (Chicken hawk @ Jun 16 2012, 08:22 PM)
Why BU2B Twice on the album. #2 and #10 ( 10 being a shorter version).

unsure.gif

2.gif

It's a reprise, part of the story...

Interesting the contrast, given how hard BU2B is. I like the combo of the strings and Geddy's vocals on BU2B2.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 07:47 PM)

1022.gif

Well, Manhattan Project, while not a bad song per se just doesn't do much for me.

"Imo , Ged does not have the kind of voice for this type of song. Ronnie James Dio would have nailed something like this , right in his ballpark"

Damn imagine Dio belting out BU2B with Rush powering on behind him. The universe would implode with awesomeness.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 16 2012, 08:30 PM)

1022.gif

Well, Manhattan Project, while not a bad song per se just doesn't do much for me.

You just said that's not a 'bad' song. So now are you going to go back and edit your previous reply and change P/g to "PoW"?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 07:21 AM)

1022.gif

You just said that's not a 'bad' song. So now are you going to go back and edit your previous reply and change P/g to "PoW"?

tongue.gif

No.... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 17 2012, 01:25 PM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 17 2012, 07:21 AM)

1022.gif

tongue.gif

No.... ph34r.gif

Well, there it is then.

Initially I knew this little odd bit was a skipper, it wasn't even a real song. Besides I thought it was placed in a bad spot after Headlong Flight. I maintain that it should follow The Wreckers just because of the characters situation in that song. Additionally I think HF should be the last song, just because I want the last song on my rock album to, well, rock.

To that end I have the tracks rearranged to suit my preference. I think it flows better and now, knowing the storyline, having bu2b flow from The Wreckers gives an immediate poignancy. I can almost see the character, having just survived that wreck, thinking the lyrics of bu2b2. I like this little piece now, it fits.

Lyrically it's a positive outlook to the general difficulties we all face. And the last line of "I was brought up to believe" can be seen as either a criticism of belief as in "faith" or an affirmation of belief as in "hope". Personally it resonates with me as the latter, he was brought up to believe, to hope...which, in a weird way, can be an analogy for faith.

1022.gif

goodpost.gif

Yeah, the only way this song works on the album is if it's between The Wreckers and Headlong Flight.

Even still, it's easily the disposable track on the album. The album would definitely have been stronger with out it. It's the one glaring weak spot.

From what I've seen, most seem to agree it's the weakest point on the album. Thankfully, it's only 90 seconds.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 17 2012, 11:37 PM)
Yeah, the only way this song works on the album is if it's between The Wreckers and Headlong Flight.

Even still, it's easily the disposable track on the album. The album would definitely have been stronger with out it. It's the one glaring weak spot.

While IMO it's crucial to the album as a whole, I will concede that it is the only track that cannot stand alone. Out of context, it's a throwaway. (But in context -- for me -- it's the linchpin.)

Regarding the track ordering -- I remain convinced that its placement after Headlong has more to do with overall arc of the songs' textures, especially when I consider Halo Effect, which I think is placed in a similar way. That part of the story doesn't necessarily clearly follow from Carnies; in fact, one might think logically it happens in the middle of that song (i.e. he meets the Carnies, falls in love and gets burned, and then has his second run-in with the Anarchist). But I'm guessing most listeners would be in agreement that when listening to the album as a whole, Halo comes just where you need a "breath" after a succession of 5 pretty intense tracks.

In the same way, I don't think you can go from Headlong into Wish Them without a breather. Again, just my gut feeling about the "emotional" story of the album.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 16 2012, 07:21 AM)

1022.gif

So I take it you've submitted your resume to Anthem?

1022.gif

It's an interlude...

I think they should have written another full song instead...

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 08:47 PM)

1022.gif

I think BU2B2 is not a tune to be thrown away (as I saw someone else mention), I think this song is the lynch pin of the album. Without it there is no Peddler II (What do you lack? Belief). Before the strings come in very early, I hear Neil's chime from CygnusX-1 (no modulation though).

BU2B2 is jaded and transformative (similar to "...spinning, whirling, still descending, like a spiral sea unending...every nerve is torn apart.") . The protagonist has realized everything he was BU2B has failed him. The best the protagonist can do is wish those negative forces around him "well" and "tend his garden" (i.e. mind his own house). The motivation for the last two songs comes from BU2B2 "...life goes from bad to worse....no philospohy consoles me in a clockwork universe..." Very in tune with Neil's "bleeding-heart libertarianism".

June 13, I wrestled with re-ordering the tracks. I thought HF should have been the opener and the album viewed as a retrospective of the protagonist's life. But then I started down a rat hole of what goes where and when and why. Rush presented it exactly as they intended, so I stayed with the original order. But that's just me

And BTW, just my opinion, (which with just over $2 will buy you a medium coffee at Dunkin' Donuts) Emotion Detector is the worst song on PW, hands down (and my least favourite Rush song). For me, I didn't care for the hook (too 80s synth-pop) or chorus (lyrically bland). I have a friend who loves it and thinks I'm on crack. I'm not. Loved the rest of PW though - a top 7 album for me - although it is quite 80s.

QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jun 18 2012, 12:53 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 16 2012, 07:21 AM)

1022.gif

So I take it you've submitted your resume to Anthem?

I would add a witty retort but I don't even know what you mean... unsure.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jun 18 2012, 04:06 PM)
I think BU2B2 is not a tune to be thrown away (as I saw someone else mention), I think this song is the lynch pin of the album. Without it there is no Peddler II (What do you lack? Belief). Before the strings come in very early, I hear Neil's chime from CygnusX-1 (no modulation though).

BU2B2 is jaded and transformative (similar to "...spinning, whirling, still descending, like a spiral sea unending...every nerve is torn apart.") . The protagonist has realized everything he was BU2B has failed him. The best the protagonist can do is wish those negative forces around him "well" and "tend his garden" (i.e. mind his own house). The motivation for the last two songs comes from BU2B2 "...life goes from bad to worse....no philospohy consoles me in a clockwork universe..." Very in tune with Neil's "bleeding-heart libertarianism".

goodpost.gif

I think it's the protagonist's Garden of Gethsemane moment, where he accepts his fate and deals with it the best he can, by going forward and making the best of it.