As soon as the piano kicks in on The Garden...

Alchemical

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good song but I don't get the whole tearing up thing myself. Rush has never had that affect on me with any song. There's other songs from other bands that have done that to me but I just don't get that feeling from The Garden at all.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jun 16 2012, 07:55 PM)
Good song but I don't get the whole tearing up thing myself. Rush has never had that affect on me with any song. There's other songs from other bands that have done that to me but I just don't get that feeling from The Garden at all.

neither do i. confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 19 2012, 08:37 PM)

neither do i. confused13.gif

I think a big reason for that is I just don't consider Geddy an emotional singer. He's a great melodic singer, just not an emotional one. That's why no Rush song has eve got me choked up and watery eyed. He just doesn't convey the proper emotion vocally that would get me to do that.

I think a big reason for that is I just don't consider Geddy an emotional singer. He's a great melodic singer, just not an emotional one. That's why no Rush song has eve got me choked up and watery eyed. He just doesn't convey the proper emotion vocally that would get me to do that.

How about 'Red Sector A'? Maybe it's me, and knowing more about behind-the-song (Geddy's parents during WWII), but his singing on that one is full of emotion. Get goosebumps during the "From prayer to profanity" part.

But I get what you say about Geddy being more melodic than emotive, but I think he does have some good emotional sound in at least some songs. He certainly doesn't sing like a robot!

Edited by Mika

'The Garden' does get me teary-eyed. Love how it starts acoustically, and then the piano coming in hits me in the tear ducts. But since I'm a girl, maybe that's ok! No man card to give up! biggrin.gif

Oh heck, you're no pansy! But you get that far into the song before you cry? wink.gif

The way that Geddy delivers these lines in the bridge is remarkable, one of his most emotional vocal performances ever. The second line especially...

The future disappears into memory

With only a moment between

Forever dwells in that moment

Hope is what remains to be seen

Obviously, the superior cynics like Trenken and WCFIELDS don't get it. eh.gif

To those who DO get it, thank your stars you're not that way. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Finding IT @ Jun 16 2012, 07:35 AM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 16 2012, 03:36 AM)
Am I just a pansy? Honestly if the boys decide to retire, I don't think Rush could have ended their career on a higher note. What a way to go out...just a beautiful, beautiful song.

That Bridge at 3:45 is incredibly power in its restraint. Just killer.

Agreed...the song is killer

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Jun 20 2012, 12:08 PM)
The way that Geddy delivers these lines in the bridge is remarkable, one of his most emotional vocal performances ever. The second line especially...

The future disappears into memory
With only a moment between
Forever dwells in that moment
Hope is what remains to be seen

Obviously, the superior cynics like Trenken and WCFIELDS don't get it. eh.gif

To those who DO get it, thank your stars you're not that way. trink39.gif

Absolutely. Rush's most beautiful track of all time and my favorite individual song since Subdivisions.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 02:12 PM)
maybe it will take some more time but the garden drags on for me. it's a long tune that i wish was cut shorter. a little less geddy singing and more space with the music. i actually like the flow of halo effect more than the garden.

Man am I gonna get smacked around for this.

Song is not much to listen to. I don't find anything particularly emotional about it.

I get the lyrics. Just doesn't resonate all that much with me.

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jun 20 2012, 02:46 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 20 2012, 02:12 PM)
maybe it will take some more time but the garden drags on for me.  it's a long tune that i wish was cut shorter.  a little less geddy singing and more space with the music.  i actually like the flow of halo effect more than the garden.

Man am I gonna get smacked around for this.

Song is not much to listen to. I don't find anything particularly emotional about it.

I get the lyrics. Just doesn't resonate all that much with me.

bolt.gif

Agreed. They have written better ballad type songs. And I don't get what the big deal is about Alex's solo .

QUOTE (Sark @ Jun 16 2012, 07:41 AM)
Can't wait to hear this live! (should they play it) Lighters and cell phones above your heads for that one. I'm assuming that's Geddy on the piano?

I'm all for that!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2012, 12:12 AM)
Personally I've not teared up, but excretions or not, it's quite poignant just the same. I think most of us can agree on its sincerity.

This.

Although its weird because normally I cry at almost anything poignant. But with The Garden... So far nothing. Rush has brought me to tears before and I can hear the emotion in it.

That said I know I'll fill up if they do play it live!

The piano solo is the time when I can take my first breath. I start welling up around the first "it is what it is" ....cause it really is. By the time "the measure of a life" hits, I'm overwhelmed by the strength and beauty of the song and I get all misty (kinda sucks when I'm at my desk).

Neil has written true poetry. And the earnestness and honesty in Geddy voice is astounding - his "oh" before "it is what it is - and forever" is breathtaking. Alex's solo is gorgeous - he's got a great descending arpeggio (end of during the sixth bar and into the seventh bar of his solo - better than writing out beeddle-dee-boop, beeddle-dee-boop - which I guess I just did...) ~4:31 in the song.

Thousands of Rush fans crying their collective eyes out...it will be be an interesting sight.

I will be one.

Same here.