This is Rush's most perfect album.

XXXB0BXXX

I'm sorry Hemispheres, but the Pink Floyd-esque BU2B2 is a better way to spend 2 minutes than the atmosphere in the middle of Hemisphere's title track. tongue.gif

Now, I wouldn't say this is my favorite Rush album, but I sincerely love every second of it. I haven't felt like this about a Rush album since The Camera Eye started boring me with it's second half. laugh.gif

QUOTE (XXXB0BXXX @ Jun 15 2012, 04:58 PM)
I'm sorry Hemispheres, but the Pink Floyd-esque BU2B2 is a better way to spend 2 minutes than the atmosphere in the middle of Hemisphere's title track. tongue.gif

Now, I wouldn't say this is my favorite Rush album, but I sincerely love every second of it. I haven't felt like this about a Rush album since The Camera Eye started boring me with it's second half. laugh.gif

bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 15 2012, 05:01 PM)
I would like to wholeheartedly disagree. CA is very good and consistent, but it is not in the same league as Hemispheres fing.gif

This. I know I said somewhere that I thought CA beat hemispheres. But I changed my mind. Hemispheres is incredibly more metal than CA, just the way it is written. It's a masterpiece. And unless they start writing like they did on Hemispheres we won't see another masterpiece.

It's awesome and I'm loving it, but it's not as "perfect" as MP and PeW, in my opinion. No Rush album ever will be.

Hemispheres is one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

Can't say that about CA.

Not even close.

I'm shocked at the worship of this album. It's a solid album for a band that's been around for almost 40 years, but it's not even in the same universe as the 1976- 87 run..come on people..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 15 2012, 06:19 PM)
Not even close.

I'm shocked at the worship of this album. It's a solid album for a band that's been around for almost 40 years, but it's not even in the same universe as the 1976- 87 run..come on people..

I think it beats Snakes and Arrows, which I absolutely loved and it sure as shit beats out the musical abortion that was Vapor Trails and most of T4E. I'd have to go back to Moving Pictures or perhaps Power Windows to find an album of more solid material from an entire album standpoint. Every time I listen to this album, I like it more. The biggest take home point for me is that it's a very strong almost classic album from a band at the twilight of their career. How many bands still out there for as long as them can say that? Look at the pablum that Kiss is putting out, or Kansas, or Boston or REO Speedwagon. None of them can touch Rush.

QUOTE (ak2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 06:25 PM)
Not even close.

I think it beats Snakes and Arrows, which I absolutely loved and it sure as shit beats out the musical abortion that was Vapor Trails and most of T4E. I'd have to go back to Moving Pictures or perhaps Power Windows to find an album of more solid material from an entire album standpoint. Every time I listen to this album, I like it more. The biggest take home point for me is that it's a very strong almost classic album from a band at the twilight of their career. How many bands still out there for as long as them can say that? Look at the pablum that Kiss is putting out, or Kansas, or Boston or REO Speedwagon. None of them can touch Rush.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the album. And yes, Rush is still quite creative, more so than most bands from thier era. I just don't think this album touches the classics.

I enjoy it more than TFO, RTB and VT. Counterparts is stronger. As is S&A .

Not even close.

This record kills HYF. Probably equal to PoW and GUP although I am partial to the keyboards. I stated long ago I hoped CA would be the best since Power Windows and it is. Great achievement by the band at this stage.

After several listens, I'd have to say that the band is continuing its upswing since Test For Echo (which had some good songs, but wasn't quite as amazing as CP or their other 90's output).

Vapour Trails: An interesting new sound, but perhaps 3 or 4 songs too long. Take out filler such as Freeze, Sweet Miracle, How it Is and The Stars Look Down) and you have a pretty amazing song.

Snakes and Arrows: Their best lyrics since Hold Your Fire, and pretty solid throughout, but a few songs that don't quite click for me (Spindrift, Good News First).

Clockwork Angles: For the first time in quite a while, I don't get the sense there is any filler (except perhaps BUTB2). While I'm not yet as enamored of Anarchist or Carnies as I am the rest of the album, they are still pretty solid songs.

BTW, the last truly perfect Rush album was Power Windows. Not only was there not any weak songs, there wasn't any mediocre songs. Every song is at least an 8/10 in my book. They haven't matched that in any of their albums since.

I think CA is closer to TFE, some where in the middle. I am with Xanadoood on this one. 2112-Power Windows would be their pinnacle (sorry, I'm from the 70's and 80's). S&A is stronger than everything since Presto. I would rank Presto, CP and S&A very closely and higher up the list, maybe even above FBN for me personally.

They still rock, but they sound like they are reaching back rather than moving forward. A "midland" Rush album is still a cut above other bands' "A" material.

There's no question from the numerous opinions and reviews that Clockwork Angels is definitively special.

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are, IMHO, the Triple Crown for Rush.

But since then, I have not been personally touched by an album of their's as deeply as I have been touched by this album.

I think back to all of their releases from Signals to GUP to PoW to HYF to P to RTB to CP to T4E to VT to S&A and I remember buying the albums and sitting excitedly opening the albums or CD's and listening to them and often saying something like,

"What happened to the guitars?", or "why all of these keyboards", or "why are these songs so fluffy" or "how many words can you rhyme with neurotica", or "when did Geddy start hanging out with Run DMC?", or "where exactly is doggy heaven?" or "where did they record this album---in a metal trash can?"

The only album that truly sounded great was Counterparts, but I went thru a divorce and that ruined that one for me for a long time, and Snakes and Arrows was one I appreciated so much because it wasn't Vapor Trails.

This record is simply sublime. Great depth of meaning, passionate lyrics and playing, much like the days of old. Like the 1980ish Rush. The band is playing with ferociousness, and certainly not acting like a bunch of near 60 year olds. That to me makes it that much better, that these guys are our elders, and are cooler than any of us. This album has an incredibly pertinent message about life and our place in it. The message is not forced or hokey at all or revolving around Neil's tragic events... It is probably the most human theme Neil has ever covered, in a way that is pure Rush.

The fact it has happened on their 20th studio release and is being so well received by fans and critics is truly unprecedented as far as I can tell in comparison to any other band around.

Alex, Geddy and Neil, I love you guys. Thanks!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 06:07 PM)
It's awesome and I'm loving it, but it's not as "perfect" as MP and PeW, in my opinion. No Rush album ever will be.

Which is EXACTLY why I have it at #3 on my albums list. yes.gif

I don't get why some of you worship Hemispheres as the greatest album on earth either. But I'm not going to call you crazy if you like it better than CA, even though I happen to like CA better.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 15 2012, 08:37 PM)
There's no question from the numerous opinions and reviews that Clockwork Angels is definitively special.

Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are, IMHO, the Triple Crown for Rush.

But since then, I have not been personally touched by an album of their's as deeply as I have been touched by this album.

I think back to all of their releases from Signals to GUP to PoW to HYF to P to RTB to CP to T4E to VT to S&A and I remember buying the albums and sitting excitedly opening the albums or CD's and listening to them and often saying something like,

"What happened to the guitars?", or "why all of these keyboards", or "why are these songs so fluffy" or "how many words can you rhyme with neurotica", or "when did Geddy start hanging out with Run DMC?", or "where exactly is doggy heaven?" or "where did they record this album---in a metal trash can?"

The only album that truly sounded great was Counterparts, but I went thru a divorce and that ruined that one for me for a long time, and Snakes and Arrows was one I appreciated so much because it wasn't Vapor Trails.

This record is simply sublime. Great depth of meaning, passionate lyrics and playing, much like the days of old. Like the 1980ish Rush. The band is playing with ferociousness, and certainly not acting like a bunch of near 60 year olds. That to me makes it that much better, that these guys are our elders, and are cooler than any of us. This album has an incredibly pertinent message about life and our place in it. The message is not forced or hokey at all or revolving around Neil's tragic events... It is probably the most human theme Neil has ever covered, in a way that is pure Rush.

The fact it has happened on their 20th studio release and is being so well received by fans and critics is truly unprecedented as far as I can tell in comparison to any other band around.

Alex, Geddy and Neil, I love you guys. Thanks!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif goodpost.gif

Hall of Fame post right here. You made a lot of great points, and I happen to agree with you. yes.gif

I like reading all this comparing and contrasting albums. It emphasizes how diverse the fans are and the albums themselves are as well. You can listen to a different era Rush and get something different. If you listen to early stuff you can hear the influences of bands like Led Zeppelin, if you listen to the 80s stuff there are hints of The Police and new wave type stuff, just as the 90s ushered in a grunge like feel. I love that about Rush. They have their own sound, but they allow themselves to be influenced by what they like and listen to. Personally, I like Clockwork Angels quite a bit, but it has not yet had a chance to grow on me yet. I will listen to it religiously over the course of a month or so - and I am sure it will grow and evolve while I digest the lyrics and feelings the songs convey. I did not really like Snakes And Arrows much at all, but now I can honestly say that it is a true favorite of mine that I get lost listening to, but then again I loved Vapor Trails immediately and love that album. Now talk to the next guy, and they pan Vapor Trails as being mixed poorly and lacks guitar solos and is too long, etc, etc. That's cool...We all have our favorites. Sometimes we should all put down our favorites and give someone else's favorite a try. My absolute favorite will always be 2112. This was played by my older brother and will never forget the feelings that came over me when I realized how music makes one feel and remember a certain time in their life...even down to the scent of the room they were in. I will never forget...Rush is my favorite band and almost my own religion and politics.

2.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 15 2012, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 06:07 PM)
It's awesome and I'm loving it, but it's not as "perfect" as MP and PeW, in my opinion.  No Rush album ever will be.

Which is EXACTLY why I have it at #3 on my albums list. yes.gif

I don't get why some of you worship Hemispheres as the greatest album on earth either. But I'm not going to call you crazy if you like it better than CA, even though I happen to like CA better.

Because Hemispheres is the greatest album on earth! biggrin.gif