The Garden

Ya_Big_Tree

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 01:06 PM)
I had the same experience: "The Garden" made me teary, and I've NEVER had that reaction from a Rush song. Though they've always been my favorite band, they never struck me as an "emotional" band, more of a "cerebral" band. What "emotion" I have from their songs is usually the result of me going apeshit over the technicality of their performances - either in concert or on the albums. So my reaction to "The Garden" took me by surprise.

I can see people saying this could be the end, as that was part of my reaction, too. I've never before been one to say "this could be the end," but "The Garden" sounded like a farewell to me - some last words of wisdom and final gratitude for the long journey which led to it.

I felt a "goodbye" vibe too. One of the reasons it became so emotional for me.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 05:49 PM)
I just don't believe they can top this.

I'll be happy if they go for it and come close, but for the first time in their career I'd also be perfectly fine if they quit.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, because it does seem to indicate a lack of faith in the guys, but this is pretty much what I'm thinking too. The band has the chance to call it a day having just produced a record that pleasantly surprised and truly delighted the majority of its longtime fans. It would be a glorious way to go out.

To make a goofy sports comparison, they could leave now as Michael Jordan might have after hitting the 1998 championship-clinching shot... rather than possibly having to leave like Jordan did after coming back and stumbling around with the Wizards.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 15 2012, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 05:49 PM)
I just don't believe they can top this.

I'll be happy if they go for it and come close, but for the first time in their career I'd also be perfectly fine if they quit.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, because it does seem to indicate a lack of faith in the guys, but this is pretty much what I'm thinking too. The band has the chance to call it a day having just produced a record that pleasantly surprised and truly delighted the majority of its longtime fans. It would be a glorious way to go out.

To make a goofy sports comparison, they could leave now as Michael Jordan might have after hitting the 1998 championship-clinching shot... rather than possibly having to leave like Jordan did after coming back and stumbling around with the Wizards.

trink39.gif

There ya go! That's it!

And as a diehard fan for thirty years, I can't say I WANT THEM to hang 'em up... but if they wanted to, this would be a good time. They could say goodbye now and I'd be just as happy.

Definitely one of their "best ever". After a few listenings, I find the combination of "Wish Them Well" followed by "The Garden" to be a great way to close the album.

I wish I could tell you exactly which interview it was (there were so MANY posted in the past 2 weeks) but I did catch Alex referencing "their next album" so they must have some sort of plans...I took it to be more than an offhand comment (naturally! Optimistically!)

Found it: From the Metal Express Radio interview: "I think it`s important to get out and learn from working with other people. We really enjoy working with Nick but we`ll see where we are with our next record. We might work with Nick again; someone else or we might want to work on our own."

Hope springs eternal...

The Garden is quite different for an ending, as they usually end with an offbeat rocker. Not since Available Light from Presto have they ended with a ballad. I would think Wish Them Well would be more appropriate for an ending, both thematically and musically, but Garden is also an interesting song.

I was first turned on to Rush when I first heard 2112.

Xanadu had me banging the walls.

Hemispheres made me think.

Freewill made me jump for joy.

Entre Nous made me dance.

The Trees had me pondering my place in the universe.

Then I lost track as life got in the way.

Peaceable Kingdom gave me a reason to believe again.

The Larger Bowl made me take pause.

I've run the gammut of emotions with RUSH, but nothing like The Garden.

I first listened to it on a good stereo system about an hour ago, and I'm still crying.

Geeeez, is this not the most beautiful song you've ever heard?

Damn it boys, don't say goodbye. But if you are, thanks for being.

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 15 2012, 07:06 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 01:06 PM)
I had the same experience: "The Garden" made me teary, and I've NEVER had that reaction from a Rush song.  Though they've always been my favorite band, they never struck me as an "emotional" band, more of a "cerebral" band.  What "emotion" I have from their songs is usually the result of me going apeshit over the technicality of their performances - either in concert or on the albums.  So my reaction to "The Garden" took me by surprise.

I can see people saying this could be the end, as that was part of my reaction, too.  I've never before been one to say "this could be the end," but "The Garden" sounded like a farewell to me - some last words of wisdom and final gratitude for the long journey which led to it.

I felt a "goodbye" vibe too. One of the reasons it became so emotional for me.

Yep...I heard the same message and felt the same emotion.

And with Neil turning 60 in September, it's not unreasonable to speculate that the end is near.

Sadly. sad.gif

I agree with YBT. AFter this tour, they'll do an R40 Tour and I believe there is a good possibility they won't tour again after that.

The biggest issue in Peart's age and athleticism. There is NO WAY he's going to be able to keep this up as his body deteriorates. He said so himself the other day in an interview.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 04:06 PM)
I had the same experience: "The Garden" made me teary, and I've NEVER had that reaction from a Rush song. Though they've always been my favorite band, they never struck me as an "emotional" band, more of a "cerebral" band. What "emotion" I have from their songs is usually the result of me going apeshit over the technicality of their performances - either in concert or on the albums. So my reaction to "The Garden" took me by surprise.

I can see people saying this could be the end, as that was part of my reaction, too. I've never before been one to say "this could be the end," but "The Garden" sounded like a farewell to me - some last words of wisdom and final gratitude for the long journey which led to it.

goodpost.gif Same here my friend. This hit me like Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses. Beautiful song!

QUOTE (templejanitor @ Jun 15 2012, 08:41 PM)
I was first turned on to Rush when I first heard 2112.

Xanadu had me banging the walls.

Hemispheres made me think.

Freewill made me jump for joy.

Entre Nous made me dance.

The Trees had me pondering my place in the universe.

Then I lost track as life got in the way.

Peaceable Kingdom gave me a reason to believe again.

The Larger Bowl made me take pause.

I've run the gammut of emotions with RUSH, but nothing like The Garden.

I first listened to it on a good stereo system about an hour ago, and I'm still crying.

Geeeez, is this not the most beautiful song you've ever heard?

Damn it boys, don't say goodbye. But if you are, thanks for being.

goodpost.gif Can't put any better my self.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 15 2012, 02:45 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 15 2012, 02:43 PM)
I absolutely love the new album. In fact I can't stop listening to it. When I heard The Garden it just had a profound impact on me I actually found my eyes tearing up which hasn't happened since I first heard Secret Touch off vapor trails.

The guitar, the vocals the words it's all so perfect.

Well done boys. smile.gif

I hope they play it live this tour.

Who says it's the last album?

confused13.gif

I hope not, but if it is the last album, that's one HELL of a way to go out.

yes.gif

2.gif

The Garden is definitely one of my favorites now. The message, the music... wow.

Obviously I don't want this to be their last album. But if it were, it's a great way to go out. It makes me think of Fading Lights, the last song on The Way We Walk, the last Genesis album with the classic line-up*. They played it on the sound system after the shows they did in 2007 and it was a beautiful coda to their career, IMO.

*IMO. So let's not have a argument about that, ok?

It's a great song, truly, but to be honest it's my least favorite on the album. I like Rush albums to end on a more upbeat tone (Countdown, You Bet Your Life, Everyday Glory, Carve Away the Stone, Out of the Cradle, etc) and this ending is too melancholy and bittersweet for me. (Wish Them Well would have been my preferred ending.) Just my personal preference. smile.gif

th1245.gif th1245.gif Fantastic ballad considering these guys don't record too many of them. Alex's guitar is absolutely beautiful on this one, the lyrics go right through your heart like a laser, and to end a concept album with a ballad shows a level of creativity very very few bands today could ever hope to muster. It will sound incredible live. Hope I don't look like a goof when the tears start flowing. The song reminds me of a dear friend I lost in March 2008 who was a huge fan of this band, and a brilliant bassist. He is greatly missed, this song confirmed that fact

eh.gif

AD

th1245.gif

I've expected this to be their last album since the Time Machine Tour. I have the feeling it is. They kinda outdid themselves with this tremendous album and it will be a good note to close on. But maybe a R40 Tour like someone already said. Then a live CD & DVD to follow. Then a compilation. Then a boxset. Then a live album compilation. Then an all-comprehensive box set with everything they've ever released all packed in a replica Neil Peart bass drum. There will be 4 different drums to choose from so hell, collect em all!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jun 15 2012, 07:08 PM)
The Garden is definitely one of my favorites now. The message, the music... wow.

Obviously I don't want this to be their last album. But if it were, it's a great way to go out. It makes me think of Fading Lights, the last song on The Way We Walk, the last Genesis album with the classic line-up*. They played it on the sound system after the shows they did in 2007 and it was a beautiful coda to their career, IMO.

*IMO. So let's not have a argument about that, ok?

One of the greatest Rush songs of all time. trink39.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Jun 15 2012, 03:01 PM)
I think the band has another album (or two) in them.

Especially when you read or hear interviews of just how much fun and freedom they had writing and recording this and Snakes and Arrows.

Yes, but the clock is running out. They may still be having fun, but their ages may not allow for much more.

Neil just said last week: "I can't imagine doing this for another ten years." And even if he DID do it for another "ten years," that's only two more albums at Rush's pace.

We won't have much more from them.

It sounds like the big tours may be winding down, but not the creative output of music.

If this is a way of saying they'll still make albums, but choose not to tour, I disagree. Albums only profit the record company; the tours are what profit the guys. Doing only albums and not tours is like making money for Roadrunner but not for themselves, and why would they do that?

Right. I think they'll likely have another album or two in them and maybe one more farewell tour. But it will be tough for them to top this monster.