Touring with an Orchestra

ScottT67

Some of you guys are insane. The orchestra would be BACKGROUND noise. Nothing more. This is ridiculous, some of you would honestly sell Rush tickets just because there happens to be an orchestra in the background of the concert?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say I remain EXTREMELY skeptical of the initial premise. Rush has worked with guest musicians many times, yet have made it clear on countless occasions that having only the three of them onstage is very important to them.

Now I know, I know, they're Rush and they shake it up all the time, but I am hard-pressed to believe they would feel the need to bring live strings just because a few songs on the new album use them prominently. Yes, CA has used string arrangements more prominently than in the past, but other than that, is there anything else to this but wild rumor?

Edited by AndroidOnTheRun

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 16 2012, 10:55 PM)
I gotta say I remain EXTREMELY skeptical of the initial premise. Rush has worked with guest musicians many times, yet have made it clear on countless occasions that having only the three of them onstage is very important to them.

Now I know, I know, they're Rush and they shake it up all the time, but I am hard-pressed to believe they would feel the need to bring live strings just because a few songs on the new album use them prominently. Yes, CA has used string arrangements more prominently than in the past, but other than that, is there anything else to this but wild rumor?

Yes, Neil said in his interview last week that they were considering bring a string section on tour. He did say *considering*, but is it still a rumor if somebody in the band confirms that they're looking into it as an option?

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 16 2012, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 16 2012, 10:55 PM)
I gotta say I remain EXTREMELY skeptical of the initial premise.    Rush has worked with guest musicians many times, yet have made it clear on countless occasions that having only the three of them onstage is very important to them.

Now I know, I know, they're Rush and they shake it up all the time, but I am hard-pressed to believe they would feel the need to bring live strings just because a few songs on the new album use them prominently.  Yes, CA has used string arrangements more prominently than in the past, but other than that, is there anything else to this but wild rumor?

Yes, Neil said in his interview last week that they were considering bring a string section on tour. He did say *considering*, but is it still a rumor if somebody in the band confirms that they're looking into it as an option?

Ah, missed that interview. Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I'd definitely concede it to be more than rumor based on that.

No longer skeptical, but definitely still surprised. ohmy.gif

I dunno if I'd be into that, but I'd keep an open mind till I see it for myself. After all, if I'm seeing Rush with three orchestras and a choir of 600 lumberjacks, I'm still seeing 2.gif!

The Boys are some of the best players on the Planet! You know it! I know It! The children of the Earth are fast learning it! I don't think, after a gajillion shows as a 3 piece, there is any doubt that they can pull it off by themselves. But that's not the issue here! smile.gif - [ He said quite happily]

Listen to the album! It's telling you - "Strings are coming with this tour!"

The question is, are you listening?

Ged isn't playing the piano part either! To garnish our hero's with ornaments is so totally okay, at this stage of there careers!

How many of us thought TFE could have been it!!!

BUT THAT'S NOT IT! - Not by a long shot!

One last thing, barring unforseen incidents, The boys would make sure we all new it was the last tour!

After all, they have to prepare us for that heinous f*ckin' day!

But That is not today friends! - Not Today! smile.gif - I love You Rush!!! smile.gif Thank You!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (ScottT67 @ Jun 17 2012, 01:05 AM)
One last thing, barring unforseen incidents, The boys would make sure we all new it was the last tour!

Agreed. Plus, if it were the farewell tour, they'd *obviously* call it "Goodbye Tour and the Snow Dog." tongue.gif

QUOTE (AndroidOnTheRun @ Jun 17 2012, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (ScottT67 @ Jun 17 2012, 01:05 AM)

Agreed. Plus, if it were the farewell tour, they'd *obviously* call it "Goodbye Tour and the Snow Dog." tongue.gif

Nah, it would be called : A Farewell to Fans Tour!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

When I first heard Ged make mention of him liking the idea of playing with an orchestra, I was unsure how I felt about it.

Having since listened to the Garden, I can only imagine how amazing it would sound.

Sampling is always an option, but in my opinion, the live sound of a string section will sound fuller and more organic, and would surpass the sound offered via sampling...

Edited by Phantom

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 11:32 AM)
I don't think it's going to happen. For the sound dynamics to be right, Rush would have to turn way down. There's only so much you can amplify a string section before it starts to sound synthetic, and at that point, you might as well be using recorded samples in the first place.

I saw the Moody Blues do this and it sucked. In order for the orchestra to sounds right, the band had to turn way down. so during the songs, the audience had to be stone quiet. Even slight talking was audible. Horrible, horrible show.

I saw Page & Plant perform with an orchestra, and they sure as hell didn't turn down. Sounded great!

This thread reminds me of the thread a few weeks back with the 30 second snippets from Walmart, where everyone started freaking out about nothing.

Now Neil says in an interview they're "considering something" in relation to playing the album and people are ready to sell their tickets.

God knows what any of this means, what will end up happening, and if it does happen how it will turn out, but for now it's much ado about nothing

Not having Aimee Mann on the road with them has never stopped them from playing Time Stands Still...my guess is that they would use a backing track for the orchestration, that being said...I wouldnt mind them having a few extra people on stage when the strings were needed, it wouldn't change anything for me.

There's a poll on CA live that is interesting...

What do you select?

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75156 <--- here's the poll

"Let's say that Rush decide to do a standard tour for CA, with the usual greatest hits setlist and 4 new songs. Once a week they do a special CA night, with the whole album, and orchestra and movie on screen, the best you can imagine... plus they play as encores 2-3 songs.

The tickets are the same price.

What do you select? "

8 to 10 piece, should be cool!

Lifeson says the production is "still in a planning stage" but promises that "it's a whole new show. It's new staging, new lighting, everything is new and fresh about it. I would say that it's an evolutionary extension of what the (2010-11) Time Machine Tour was, but we are definitely freshening it up and bringing and there'll be a lot of new video stuff going on." And, of course, Lifeson and his mates expect to dedicate a considerable amount of stage time to "Clockwork Angels,"

There's a great deal of pressure on us now to do the whole record, which we don't anticipate. I think our intention is probably to prepare the whole thing; whether we'll do it or not we're still not sure, especially on the first leg of the tour.

Edited by Rushman14

QUOTE (ScottT67 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:22 AM)
As I bask in the euphoric light of new / unknown Rush material, and it metamorphoses into known Rush material, I would bet my Hostess Donettes that they tour with an Orchestra. That being said, is there any doubt that the Manhattan Project will be in he set list! smile.gif

What other Rush songs with strings will they put in the setlist, with a touring orchestra?

Anyone???

Anyone???

I am really savoring each bite of this album. They are in fact still evolving - still improving! Truly amazing! We are all so fortunate to be influenced by these guys!

NP sorta let it slip out.

I bet 2112 will get the treatment.

As I bask in the euphoric light of new / unknown Rush material, and it metamorphoses into known Rush material, I would bet my Hostess Donettes that they tour with an Orchestra. That being said, is there any doubt that the Manhattan Project will be in he set list! smile.gif

What other Rush songs with strings will they put in the setlist, with a touring orchestra?

Anyone???

Anyone???

I am really savoring each bite of this album. They are in fact still evolving - still improving! Truly amazing! We are all so fortunate to be influenced by these guys!

Well now that the string section is confirmed, Its time to "Start Thinking Big":

Losing it!

Plus any of these:

Manhattan Project

Tears

Nobody's Hero

Second Nature

Different Strings

Available Light

Bravado

Middletown Dreams

Open Secrets

Mission

YYZ

Territories

And of course all of Clockwork Angels

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

The thought of them bringing songs to the setlist, we have never heard live, or haven't heard for a long time, because they are touring with strings, is just an awesome bonus! -

I agree they will play definately play Nobody's Hero ( Perhaps a tribute to Andrew MacNaughtan?)

Manhattan Project - I hope

Whatever they ad, Ihope they keep The Camera Eye, Presto, and Faithless in the set. It was a real treat hearing those tunes, last time around.

Rush on Rushians! smile.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 18 2012, 11:39 PM)

Anyone???

Anyone???

Well now that the string section is confirmed, Its time to "Start Thinking Big":

Losing it!

Plus any of these:

Tears

Nobody's Hero

Second Nature

Different Strings

Available Light

Bravado

Mission

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Look at that set... unsure.gif

Maybe it's designed to make people sit... schla03.gif

Edited by EmotionDetector

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 12:32 PM)

Anyone???

Anyone???

Losing it!

Plus any of these:

Tears

Nobody's Hero

Second Nature

Different Strings

Available Light

Bravado

Mission

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Come on, you know I didn't mean all those songs. Regardless, you throw in three of those songs, two older Epics like Xanadu and Jacobs Ladder and some other string laden songs like Manhattan Project and Distant Early Warnings with intro from the P/g tour and you have a really good set.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 02:30 PM)

Anyone???

Anyone???

Losing it!

Plus any of these:

Tears

Nobody's Hero

Second Nature

Different Strings

Available Light

Bravado

Mission

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Come on, you know I didn't mean all those songs. Regardless, you throw in three of those songs, two older Epics like Xanadu and Jacobs Ladder and some other string laden songs like Manhattan Project and Distant Early Warnings with intro from the P/g tour and you have a really good set.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

You understand where I'm going with this right?

I'm not saying they are bad songs...I'm saying that none of them are upbeat at all...they are basically Rush's 'ballads' if you will.

My point is...this should be a rock concert...so let's hear the uptempo tunes. Much better rock concert experience IMO.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 19 2012, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 19 2012, 02:30 PM)

Anyone???

Anyone???

Losing it!

Plus any of these:

Tears

Nobody's Hero

Second Nature

Different Strings

Available Light

Bravado

Mission

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

You understand where I'm going with this right?

I'm not saying they are bad songs...I'm saying that none of them are upbeat at all...they are basically Rush's 'ballads' if you will.

My point is...this should be a rock concert...so let's hear the uptempo tunes. Much better rock concert experience IMO.

Oh I agree, That's why I only use 3 of them in that set list I've been posting just about everywhere. The songs I truly want to hear are:

Losing IT

Tears

Different Strings

Manhattan Project

Distant Early Warnings with live P/g intro.

I don't want a boring concert at all, however hard that would be with RUSH.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif