Touring with an Orchestra

ScottT67

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 03:14 PM)
When did this become about the fans? They're 2.gif ! They do what they want. They aren't our toy for us to play and do with as we please. If they desire to play with an orchestra, I'm behind them 100%, If they don't as well. If they wan't to tour with an opening act again (Dream Theater), I'm behind them 100%, If they want to retire (However much I hate that idea), I'd be behind them as well. They've already given us nearly four decades of themselves. They are only human beings and they have their own dreams and wishes to fulfill. They weren't place on this planet to fulfill yours. So if you feel insulted for them to tour with an Orchestra!

"SELL YOUR TICKETS AND STAY HOME!"

rage.gif [/quote]
"When did this become about the fans?" confused13.gif

Let me ask you something...when did this become about the string players??

I mean, seriously. That's absurd.

Just because of your obsession with Losing It, and your belief that they will for sure 100% play it, you back the idea 100% right? Boy, you'll probably be very disappointed when it's not played.

Yes, I'm well aware that Rush does what they want. I'm cool with that...always have been. Orchestra or not...I will be there for multiple shows, just like usual. I can tell you that much.

But in my opinion, I love the trio just the way they are. Just because strings appear on like 4 songs, I don't see the need to bring a whole brigade on tour with them when triggers/samples will do the same shit.

BTW...ain't no way in hell I'm selling my tickets. Thanks for your advice though.

Signed,
Troll [/quote]
I never called you a troll, I expressed my opinion just like you just expressed yours. However if you want to label yourself as a troll go right ahead, that your decision.

Oh by the way, yes I am obsessed with hearing Losing it but that's not the entire reason for seeing rush with a string section. I also like:

Tears, Different Strings, Manhattan Project. So if they would not play Losing It, yeah I'd be bumbed but not completely suicidal. They didn't play it back during signals and I truly don't expect them to play it now but.

"I can't stop thinking Big!"

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Don't worry...I never said you called me 'Troll'.

That was a little joke on the end...just for me. cool.gif

Like I said, whether or not there is an orchestra / string section...I'll be at the shows. I'm not like that.

I love this band...and I don't miss concerts that come around my neck of the woods.

I'm just not into the whole orchestra concept. Yes, I think the strings sound great on CA...they add to those songs. My point is, there is little value (IMO) in them paying to bring an orchestra around with them.

If they decide to use triggers/samples, AND play Losing It, would you really mind? I doubt it...because the song will still sound amazing. (I'd be in for seeing that as well).

The bottom line here is, I love the hard-rocking trio on stage...that's it. Dirk, Lerxst, and Pratt.

They way it's meant to be. yes.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 15 2012, 04:15 PM)
You guys do know the orchestra doesn't have to play on every song right? The CA songs where they ARE required would sound way more epic than some sampled string parts. Doesn't Rush use enough samples already?

no.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 03:18 PM)
You guys do know the orchestra doesn't have to play on every song right? The CA songs where they ARE required would sound way more epic than some sampled string parts. Doesn't Rush use enough samples already?

no.gif

No.......they don't use enough samples already? I beg to differ. wink.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 15 2012, 04:20 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

They're not going to bring a backing orchestra with them on a tour simply to play a handful of songs. I wouldnt put it past them to try it once but to do a whole tour where their paying people to do nothing for 90% of the concert makes no sense. It will not happen. This is Rush-not The Eagles or Kiss or anyone else where people dont care if half the band changes from tour to tour.

They didnt even hire a synthesizer player in the 80's to back Geddy in the background. They'll just play samples like they normally do for the parts where they have no way of playing it themselves.

The only thing I'll add to this is the same thing I mentioned on a different orchestra thread a few weeks back.

If they decided to do like a one-off, or two-show performance with a full orchestra (a la KISS and Metallica), that'd be cool with me.

In fact, I might even go if it's around here.

But for the full-on tour...I'd like to see a typical Rush show with just the trio kicking ass and taking names.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 03:24 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

Samples > Orchestra. Really? are Samples of Geddy > Geddy? Besically, why not just play the CD and have us watch them on the big sceens.

no.gif

ED have you ever seen an Orchestra play live? "Cause I sing with an orchestra on a yearly basis. I'm tell you it would be awseome."

yes.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 04:35 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

Samples > Orchestra. Really? are Samples of Geddy > Geddy? Besically, why not just play the CD and have us watch them on the big sceens.

no.gif

ED have you ever seen an Orchestra play live? "Cause I sing with an orchestra on a yearly basis. I'm tell you it would be awseome."

yes.gif

Yes, I have seen them. As mentioned before, I have nothing against orchestras.

I've seen them before...and I enjoy them.

This is strictly a conversation about RUSH using them. I stand by my feelings of not caring to see an orchestra at a RUSH show. I like the trio as is. cool.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 03:49 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

no.gif

yes.gif

This is strictly a conversation about RUSH using them. I stand by my feelings of not caring to see an orchestra at a RUSH show. I like the trio as is. cool.gif

very well, we agaee to disagree!

More power (trio) to you! However, or better UnfortunatelyI don't think they could pull Losing It off with triggers, only a Live Violinist or preferably "Ben Mink" himself would make it happen.

fists crying.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 04:54 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

no.gif

yes.gif

More power (trio) to you! However, or better UnfortunatelyI don't think they could pull Losing It off with triggers, only a Live Violinist or preferably "Ben Mink" himself would make it happen.

fists crying.gif

Haha...we've disagreed alot lately it seems.

Hopefully, it's providing some kind of humour to the other TRF'ers tuning in.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 04:54 PM)

no.gif

Samples > Orchestra

no.gif

yes.gif

fists crying.gif

Haha...we've disagreed alot lately it seems.

Hopefully, it's providing some kind of humour to the other TRF'ers tuning in.

Oh I'm sure, I was thinking the same way. "Damn, ED and I haven't seen eye to eye on anything lately." I was thinking.

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

Edited by losingit2k

I'm likely biased because I played classical flute for years (so I am excited just thinking about a couple of string players on set for the CA stuff...), but I think there may be a bit of overreaction here... a few string players contributing to a few songs does not mean Rush is going to show up with an orchestra. We'd likely be talking a violin or two, a viola, and a cello, likely only for the set involving the CA songs recorded with strings. I don't see how it makes it any less of a rock concert; is CA any less of a rock album for having strings on it? wtf.gif

I respect that some people woud rather have samples than a live string section, but to say that samples would sound better or that you didn't buy tickets to see Rush + "some string players" because Rush is the trio and that then it wouldn't truly be Rush is a bit silly... The fact is that other musicians did contribute to the record, it's not like the parts were added with GarageBand and they decided to hire some musicians after the fact to play the parts live because they're too lazy to use samples...

I'm all in favour of it. Rush has always struck me as a classy band and as far as I'm concerned you can't beat live strings (at least over sampled ones) in terms of class! yes.gif

QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 15 2012, 10:34 PM)
To anyone who wants to sell their VIP tickets in the (now likely) event that the band tours with a string quartet to play the orchestrated segments of a handful of songs:

How much?

rofl3.gif

You also claimed on the other thread that members of this board would give up their tickets if a string section or orchestra would be performing with Rush. I'm going to ask again, who said that? I reread this entire thread and NO ONE is saying that.

Stop it already. If you want to construct Strawmen, go to SOCN like everyone else.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jun 16 2012, 11:21 AM)
I think it will just be a string section not a full orchestra. There's no need for that. But I think Losing it would be awesome!

I can't disagree with that!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

I don't think it's going to happen. For the sound dynamics to be right, Rush would have to turn way down. There's only so much you can amplify a string section before it starts to sound synthetic, and at that point, you might as well be using recorded samples in the first place.

I saw the Moody Blues do this and it sucked. In order for the orchestra to sounds right, the band had to turn way down. so during the songs, the audience had to be stone quiet. Even slight talking was audible. Horrible, horrible show.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 16 2012, 02:39 AM)
QUOTE (Deckiller @ Jun 15 2012, 10:34 PM)
To anyone who wants to sell their VIP tickets in the (now likely) event that the band tours with a string quartet to play the orchestrated segments of a handful of songs:

How much?

rofl3.gif

You also claimed on the other thread that members of this board would give up their tickets if a string section or orchestra would be performing with Rush. I'm going to ask again, who said that? I reread this entire thread and NO ONE is saying that.

Stop it already. If you want to construct Strawmen, go to SOCN like everyone else.

From the other thread:

In response to your replies in this thread and the other one:

I didn't construct strawmen. I merely replied to some of the postings (admittedly in a very harsh manner for me).

QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 21 2012, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (Karena @ May 21 2012, 07:19 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ May 21 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ May 21 2012, 05:53 PM)
Please God, please let Lawrence Welk be the orchestra leader.

Look we know that at least 4 songs have strings on them, 2 of them being completely string intros. The question is how many musicians were at the recording? I really think its just may be a string quartet at the Concert. They really wouldn't need anything else if they decide to go through with it and perform the entire album live.

confused13.gif

Then that's seven people performing on stage, four of whom are not in Rush. We should be informed ahead of time if that will be the case.

Why? David Gilmour performed with a small orchestra last tour, he didn't make a major announcement! Why do you need an announcement?

confused13.gif

You'll know after the first show!

yes.gif

I'm not interested in that so if I knew in advance I could transfer my tickets to someone who might better appreciate an evening with Rush and String Quartet.

I would also hate to show up and be underdressed.

If Rush did the string thing I would gladly sell off my 2nd and 3rd row (Buffalo and Pittsburgh) seats and go see 2 additional Iron Maiden shows.

Perhaps they were just kidding around, perhaps not. Some of us may have overreacted, but it is what it is - I'm just surprised that there is so much backlash against this idea.

No hard feelings.