I really, really, REALLY regret...

XXXB0BXXX

listening to the 3 singles (especially the 2010 songs) to death before listening to the album. The 3 singles are of unbelievable quality, and because I had sucked all enjoyment out of them before I had the actual album in my mind, I now associate those 3 songs as being "outside" of the album in a sense. The album is no longer as cohesive an experience, if you get what I'm saying. It feels like I've got a new album to listen to, with 3 songs randomly included that might as well have come out in the 70's.

I'm also not enjoying the album as much as I would have because I'm missing out on half the enjoyment I would have otherwise. It wouldn't have mattered, but I think the singles are among the top half of the songs.

QUOTE (XXXB0BXXX @ Jun 14 2012, 11:13 PM)
listening to the 3 singles (especially the 2010 songs) to death before listening to the album. The 3 singles are of unbelievable quality, and because I had sucked all enjoyment out of them before I had the actual album in my mind, I now associate those 3 songs as being "outside" of the album in a sense. The album is no longer as cohesive an experience, if you get what I'm saying. It feels like I've got a new album to listen to, with 3 songs randomly included that might as well have come out in the 70's.

I'm also not enjoying the album as much as I would have because I'm missing out on half the enjoyment I would have otherwise. It wouldn't have mattered, but I think the singles are among the top half of the songs.

You can always listen to the Sheepdogs confused13.gif

This is one of the reasons I did not listen to these songs much. I listened to Caravan and Bu2b before the Time machine tour concert that I saw. Then essentially put them away till now. I only listened to headlong flight once also.

QUOTE (XXXB0BXXX @ Jun 15 2012, 12:13 AM)

I completely agree, except for the part about having listened to them so much I don't enjoy them anymore. I still enjoy them, but I definitely have the problem of considering the songs to sort of be "outside" the album. I too think they are among the top songs on the album and it would really have been amazing to hear them for the first time when I heard the rest of the album. I'm enjoying the album plenty, but I'd probably be way more amped than I am now. Of course, the tradeoff would then have been getting nothing to hold us over for the years in between, so confused13.gif

QUOTE (XXXB0BXXX @ Jun 14 2012, 11:13 PM)

This is something I avoided meticulously, and it paid off. I think I said this twice elsewhere already so I won't bore people anymore with any more babbling about it...

trink38.gif

Hmm, I listened to Caravan and BU2B ("single versions") maybe a couple times, the exception being the shows I went to. I even skipped them on the Time Machine DVD. Same for Headlong, maybe 3 times before the release. Two of those were on my laptop, once over my home theater. The lack of listening to these doesn't make my appreciation for the album any higher. I have said all along I want to hear them in context. Now that I have I can agree that the first two songs are almost separate from the rest of the album. But there is a sameness to the majority of the album that sort of follows in their footsteps. Still hasn't impacted me emotionally as I would like. Too bad I was really looking forward to hearing this album. I wish I could get more worked up about it.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 15 2012, 12:43 AM)
I actually had the opposite feeling, I listened to them to death too, but I enjoy them much more now that they are in context. I prefer caravan and BU2B more now than before.

I agree...and the fact that the album versions are slightly different kinda helped, because I was curious to spot the differences in the mix here and there.

By the way dude, King Diamond is back, he played in Sweden a few days ago!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I think the small changes they've added to the songs like Caravan's extremely small bass solo effect and BU2B's first minute make them different. They also added some atmospheric differences. IMO, they give it a way newer feelings.

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 09:01 AM)
The production value of the original 2010 versions of Caravan and BU2B is superior to the overall production value of CwA IMO. Not sure why but to my ears this is unfortunate...

Agree. The originals have that crisp clear and tight sound like they are off Grace Under Pressure.....and the album sounds more like Hold Your Fire

goodpost.gif

I've had this thought myself. Of course, there was no way I could have avoided hearing 2 of them. laugh.gif

I wish now that I hadn't even listened to the samples either.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jun 15 2012, 12:17 AM)
Headlong Flight sounds better in the context of the album.

That was my only complaint of "Headlong Flight"- I didn't quite appreciate the lyrics because I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT! None of the songs about the "highlights" or bright nights and dark days had been released yet so the lack of context was slightly aggravating.

Now that I know what they were, "Headlong Flight" kicks that much more ass biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 15 2012, 09:38 AM)

goodpost.gif

I've had this thought myself. Of course, there was no way I could have avoided hearing 2 of them. laugh.gif

I wish now that I hadn't even listened to the samples either.

I think I would have been more blown away by this album if I was hearing those three songs for the first time too.

A couple of years from now it won't matter I suppose. I remember having this experience with Far Cry when S&A came out, but now it's just one of the pack.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jun 15 2012, 03:53 AM)
QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Jun 15 2012, 12:43 AM)
I actually had the opposite feeling, I listened to them to death too, but I enjoy them much more now that they are in context. I prefer caravan and BU2B more now than before.

I agree...and the fact that the album versions are slightly different kinda helped, because I was curious to spot the differences in the mix here and there.

By the way dude, King Diamond is back, he played in Sweden a few days ago!!! 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Wish I could've seen King's return to the stage. I've watched the footage and he sounds better than ever! Here's hoping to a full blown tour soon! trink39.gif

I guess you can't listen to Permanent Waves with The Spirit of Radio or Moving Pictures with Tom Sawyer or Signals without Subdivisions or Power Windows with out Big money Either.

no.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:32 AM)
I guess you can't listen to Permanent Waves with The Spirit of Radio or Moving Pictures with Tom Sawyer  or Signals without Subdivisions or Power Windows with out Big money Either.

no.gif

Well, I never said anything about disliking this album or not listening to it (I love the album and find it very easy to listen to), but yes. Tom Sawyer and Spirit of Radio exist, to a certain extent, "outside" of their respective albums due to the fact that they were well established in my mind before I became a Rush fan and started buying the albums.