Open Letter to Rush

Jmo2112

and as for chills, nothing on CA hits me like any of the following (giving one chill track per album minus a couple):

- Anthem

- The Necromancer

- Cygnus X-1

- La Villa Strangiato

- Natural Science

- Tom Sawyer

- Subdivisions

- Between the Wheels

- Grand Designs

- Turn the Page

- Show Don't Tell

- Bravado

- Animate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 07:15 PM)
I have been a hardcore Rush fan since 1983 when at age 13 I was blown away upon hearing Tom Sawyer while at summer camp.

I was fortunate enough to get to see Rush at Radio City Music Hall that year when Rush was previewing songs that would end up on the Grace Under Pressure album.

I remained a rabid fan up to and including Counterparts (even though I felt queasy about Presto along the way). Test for Echo is where the band lost me. Vapor Trails didn't win me back either, but Snakes and Arrows came along and yanked me back onto the train.  For the most part.

And now we have Clockwork Angels which is growing on me literally by the minute (have Headlong Flight in the headphones as I type this). But a few things nag at me from the recesses of my subconscious. What's keeping me from fully loving the recent output and feeling that deeper connection with my favorite band ever?

I believe it boils down to the following points:

1. Rush are no longer giving me a *Rush*. In other words the chills I used to get upon hearing a new song/album aren't there. Not a one. I love the music, admire the musicianship and respect the songwriting but something is still missing.

I attribute this in part to the fact that (as Neil admitted in his recent Rolling Stone interview) the boys are making music for different reasons these days. They need to make albums without necessarily wanting to so much. To my mind these leads into issue #2

2. Lack of experimentation. Not to be confused with lack of progressiveness. The boys still kill it with odd time signatures and concepts but where's the experimentation? Whether it be Neil's fills, Alex's solos or Geddy's vocals I'm not hearing the boundary pushing. Maybe this is connected to point #3...

3. KEYBOARDS! Where are they and will they ever make a comeback??? From 2112-Counterparts keyboards played a *crucial* role in defining Rush's sound. That leaves Rush-COS and Test For Echo-Clockwork Angels keyboard-less. Their catalog is kind of like meat lined with fat in this respect.

4. Production: call me a curmudgeon but I miss Terry Brown. Henderson did a bang up job on GUP but outside of that I can't say that I've heard a non-Broon produced Rush album that comes close to Permanent Waves. If anything the production value has deteriorated into a digital mess that peaked with Vapor Trails but is still present on the later albums. Alex's solos, Neil's snare drum and even Geddy's bass tone have all suffered as a result. Being back Geddy's Rick, Alex's Gibson hollow bodies and give Neil some analog love!

That's my assessment. Many will disagree but let me end on an up note. Rush on a bad day (or album) are still better then the vast majority of bands in the galaxy. I wouldn't nit pick or take the time to write this if I didn't care. I have loved these guys for close to 30 years and will always love them. I just hope that they will produce one more album to 2" tape using keyboards with Terry Brown at the board! Wishful thinking, I know. But this is a band that inspires hope in many interesting ways!

Peace.
Jeremy
2.gif

IMO

You're not a RUSH fan.

You were a RUSH fan, but no longer.

IMO

I dunno if that was sarcastic or not, but if it wasn't, I'll say that's a bit unfair for you to determine if he's a fan or not now. He's not trollin' and he presented his arguments in an intelligent manner explaining why he feels how he feels. Like someone else said, he didn't become negative and trash people. He was very sincere and appropriate in his response. He can still have disappointments or criticism while still being a fan in the here and now. smile.gif

As to the OP, I respect your opinions, but I have to disagree. I had many goosebump factors from this album than I have since probably Counterparts. I love keyboards in Rush's music and my favorite era is probably the synth era, but I felt they achieved a good balance and represented music around them now. I'm just glad they have synths back in their music and they also have strings, which just sweetened the pot.

Hopefully your perspective might change as you hear Clockwork Angels more, OP! Also, thanks for the intelligent response. I really appreciated reading it since we've had a crazy past few days with people calling each other trolls and fanbois.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 14 2012, 08:56 PM)
My reaction to my favorite artists' music has changed drastically over the years. I think it's normal not to react enthusiastically to new music from a familiar artist. I, too, rarely get an emotional rush from new Rush music.

But I gotta tell ya, I like Clockwork Angels a lot. I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I feel it is a very adventurous and challenging listen. There are more gems on it than any album since the 1980's. IMHO!

Also, I don't agree, at all, with bring back Terry Brown. It's not like the man was an innovator. Again, Terry Brown benefited more from Rush than Rush benefited from Terry Brown. And sometimes, a step back is a step back.

And I think Peter Henderson did a terrible job producing Grace Under Pressure!

And welcome! trink39.gif

Yep I totally agree about Peter Henderson. Although I love Grace Under Pressure there are plenty of things I am sure the band would do different. They had no producer with Peter...just a really good engineer.

OP, great first post although I might not agree with all of it. I wouldn't mind some more keyboards. Signals is my favorite Rush album but I think their best balance of hard rock and keys came on PeW and MP, but as trenken said, I don't think the same kind of intensity is still there. Ever hear about how they made albums back then? It seems like they take a more comfortable and relaxed approach own then they did then, as they should... After all they're pushing 60!

With that said, I think CwA might be the best album you could get from them now. It sounds fresh, but still has lots of Rush idiosyncrasies we've all come to love from the band, whereas everything since and including T4E sounded like a band unsure where they wanted to go with their sound, at least to my ears.

In regards to the sound quality, you can find my thoughts on that topic all over the last few days' threads. In short, it's not the worst sounding contemporary rock record I've heard, but it has plenty of room for improvement.

Edited by marblesmike

As an aging Rush fan I have learnt to live with the fact that they will never stick to the same formula. Clockwork Angels once again doesn't stick to the plan and that's why this band remains relevant after nearly 40 years.

No one analyses AC/DC or Van Halen who have been around for a similar period of time and have largely stuck to the same blueprint.In the eighties Rush produced seven studio albums that were very different in their unique way,and I personally learnt to live with what ever tangent Rush went off on. Remember we didn't have the internet so had to wait for shop releases.

I like the way that Clockwork Angels has a modern english rock feel to it, incorporating the very best of classic english rock bands such as The Who and Cream yet mixing the music with the modern sound of bands such as Muse and Kasabian.

We all know and accept that they would never just keep churning out Moving Pictures over and over.

Edited by tas7

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 14 2012, 10:44 PM)
As an aging Rush fan I have learnt to live with the fact that they will never stick to the same formula. Clockwork Angels once again doesn't stick to the plan and that's why this band remains relevant after nearly 40 years.
No one analyses AC/DC or Van Halen who have been around for a similar period of time and have largely stuck to the same blueprint.In the eighties Rush produced seven studio albums that were very different in their unique way,and I personally learnt to live with what ever tangent Rush went off on. Remember we didn't have the internet so had to wait for shop releases.
I like the way that Clockwork Angels has a modern english rock feel to it, incorporating the very best of classic english rock bands such as The Who and Cream yet mixing the music with the modern sound of bands such as Muse and Kasabian.
We all know and accept that they would never just keep churning out Moving Pictures over and over.

the nice thing about the 80's was a new release came out every year or two at most))

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 08:20 PM)
and as for chills, nothing on CA hits me like any of the following (giving one chill track per album minus a couple):

- Anthem
- The Necromancer
- Cygnus X-1
- La Villa Strangiato
- Natural Science
- Tom Sawyer
- Subdivisions
- Between the Wheels
- Grand Designs
- Turn the Page
- Show Don't Tell
- Bravado
- Animate

Headlong Flight is far superior to the last four songs on your list.

Sorry, you are wrong.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 14 2012, 08:44 PM)

goodpost.gif

Even though I disagree with the OP, I still say bekloppt.gif Welcome to TRF.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 14 2012, 04:37 PM)
I respectfully and completely disagree with just about everything you wrote.

It's how you feel. And I respect that.

But these guy's passion is oozing from all their music. The only time I felt like they were tired was on T4E. And I like that album too.

Vapor Trails despite it's massive production issues may be one of their most passion filled record ever. You may not connect with the music.....but the passion is so very up front.

Snakes and Arrows.....they really wrote some amazing tunes on that one as well and production wise was very tight.

CA......I am feeling and hearing a band stretching out again, taking chances on many tracks and throwing caution to the wind and f***ing jamming big time.

So.....different strokes for different folks.

Peace.

Agree with you for the most part. But I still find S&A to be a turd.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 14 2012, 07:03 PM)
I have been a hardcore Rush fan since 1983 when at age 13 I was blown away upon hearing Tom Sawyer while at summer camp.

I was fortunate enough to get to see Rush at Radio City Music Hall that year when Rush was previewing songs that would end up on the Grace Under Pressure album.

I remained a rabid fan up to and including Counterparts (even though I felt queasy about Presto along the way). Test for Echo is where the band lost me. Vapor Trails didn't win me back either, but Snakes and Arrows came along and yanked me back onto the train.  For the most part.

And now we have Clockwork Angels which is growing on me literally by the minute (have Headlong Flight in the headphones as I type this). But a few things nag at me from the recesses of my subconscious. What's keeping me from fully loving the recent output and feeling that deeper connection with my favorite band ever?

1. Rush are no longer giving me a *Rush*. In other words the chills I used to get upon hearing a new song/album aren't there. Not a one. I love the music, admire the musicianship and respect the songwriting but something is still missing.

I attribute this in part to the fact that (as Neil admitted in his recent Rolling Stone interview) the boys are making music for different reasons these days. They need to make albums without necessarily wanting to so much. To my mind these leads into issue #2

2. Lack of experimentation. Not to be confused with lack of progressiveness. The boys still kill it with odd time signatures and concepts but where's the experimentation? Whether it be Neil's fills, Alex's solos or Geddy's vocals I'm not hearing the boundary pushing. Maybe this is connected to point #3...

3. KEYBOARDS! Where are they and will they ever make a comeback??? From 2112-Counterparts keyboards played a *crucial* role in defining Rush's sound. That leaves Rush-COS and Test For Echo-Clockwork Angels keyboard-less. Their catalog is kind of like meat lined with fat in this respect.

4. Production: call me a curmudgeon but I miss Terry Brown. Henderson did a bang up job on GUP but outside of that I can't say that I've heard a non-Broon produced Rush album that comes close to Permanent Waves. If anything the production value has deteriorated into a digital mess that peaked with Vapor Trails but is still present on the later albums. Alex's solos, Neil's snare drum and even Geddy's bass tone have all suffered as a result. Being back Geddy's Rick, Alex's Gibson hollow bodies and give Neil some analog love!

That's my assessment. Many will disagree but let me end on an up note. Rush on a bad day (or album) are still better then the vast majority of bands in the galaxy. I wouldn't nit pick or take the time to write this if I didn't care. I have loved these guys for close to 30 years and will always love them. I just hope that they will produce one more album to 2" tape using keyboards with Terry Brown at the board! Wishful thinking, I know. But this is a band that inspires hope in many interesting ways!

Peace.
Jeremy
2.gif

IMO

You're not a RUSH fan.

You were a RUSH fan, but no longer.

IMO

Wow.... that's a pretty dick reply to the most eloquent, balanced, and enjoyable criticism of modern-day Rush I've read since I joined TRF.

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 14 2012, 07:28 PM)

That's my assessment. Many will disagree but let me end on an up note. Rush on a bad day (or album) are still better then the vast majority of bands in the galaxy. I wouldn't not nit pick or take the time to write this if I didn't care. I have loved these guys for close to 30 years and will always love them. I just hope that they will produce one more album to 2" tape using keyboards with Terry Brown at the board! Wishful thinking, I know. But this is a band that inspires hope in many interesting ways!

Peace.
Jeremy
2.gif

Now this is a post of a BALANCED fan. You have problems with their latest stuff, but you express yourself very intelligently, do not sound biased, and have made some points that are arguably very valid. You did not trash the new album, did not call the rest of us fanbois, and did not show any obnoxious, egotistical or condescending attitudes. Well done!

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

I completley agree. I almost got suckered into posting on the other troll bait threads, but I saved it rather to commend this poster and to just give a wave of the wand to the like minded and balanced.

Good thread without offense

TKR

I don't agree. Basically all you're saying is you want the band to go back to doing albums the way they were in the 70's/80's and that's not going to happen.

I think some people take for granted that the band has been going since 1968. We're lucky they're still coming out with anything.

Keyboards...There are keyboards in their latest albums. Geddy is not going to make them sound like the 80's. He also finds it difficult (he is in his 60's you know) to play complex keyboard parts live. He's also been trying to wean off them for over a decade now, which I for one am glad.

Lack of experimentation: I think CA is original enough. How many band members in their 60's are pushing out new trend-setting sounds? NO ONE.

The only thing I can agree is production but only in the mastering stage. The boys need to get over the pier pressure of having their music tweaked LOUD for the IPOD crowd, for the sole reason that everyone else is doing it. CA doesn't sound BAD (not like VT) but it could sound a lot better.

Figured I should follow up with my impressions re: Clockwork Angels as I've listened several times and feel ready to offer a less than reflexive/reactive assessment.

My first observation is that this is easily the most cohesive and consistent album theme-wise since Power Windows. Maybe even Signals. Obviously the first overtly conceptual album since Hemispheres which is awesome. Arguably their best concept album ever if you consider that they've never thread a narrative this thoroughly through an entire album.

The musicianship/playing (as someone mentioned) is solid but not terribly adventurous. I'm going to argue against the "they're pushing 60" line of reasoning by pointing out that they still *play* those challenging old songs live. Why not write some material as challenging now? By challenging I mean boundary pushing not just technically difficult.

That being said Clockwork Angels is majestic. If there is one thing that has improved with age in certain respects it's Geddy's vocals and melodic sense. Already have several lines stuck in my head. The Wreckers in particular at the moment. And respect due to Hugh Syme who totally killed it with the artwork on this release!

As others have mentioned I am absolutely grateful that the band is still vital and recording/touring. It's truly remarkable. And I get to see them in Brooklyn in October! Just miles from where I first saw them in '83!

QUOTE (Jmo2112 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:09 AM)
Figured I should follow up with my impressions re: Clockwork Angels as I've listened several times and feel ready to offer a less than reflexive/reactive assessment.

My first observation is that this is easily the most cohesive and consistent album theme-wise since Power Windows. Maybe even Signals. Obviously the first overtly conceptual album since Hemispheres which is awesome. Arguably their best concept album ever if you consider that they've never thread a narrative this thoroughly through an entire album.

The musicianship/playing (as someone mentioned) is solid but not terribly adventurous. I'm going to argue against the "they're pushing 60" line of reasoning by pointing out that they still *play* those challenging old songs live. Why not write some material as challenging now? By challenging I mean boundary pushing not just technically difficult.

That being said Clockwork Angels is majestic. If there is one thing that has improved with age in certain respects it's Geddy's vocals and melodic sense. Already have several lines stuck in my head. The Wreckers in particular at the moment. And respect due to Hugh Syme who totally killed it with the artwork on this release!

As others have mentioned I am absolutely grateful that the band is still vital and recording/touring. It's truly remarkable. And I get to see them in Brooklyn in October! Just miles from where I first saw them in '83!

Playing songs you wrote in your 20s when you're older is not nearly as difficult as trying to write stuff like that. It takes serious dedication and effort to write very adventurous songs that soar like Red Barchetta. None of the new songs are even close to that and I dont think they will ever be able to write like that again. Now they just sort of write very safe rock songs, and thats what theyve been doing for a while now.

Well whats the big difference between then and now? A shit load of years. Back then they were hungry still trying to prove something even after the success of 2112. Well that desire doesnt last forever for any band. All creative wells run dry eventually.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 09:21 AM)
Playing songs you wrote in your 20s when you're older is not nearly as difficult as trying to write stuff like that. It takes serious dedication and effort to write very adventurous songs that soar like Red Barchetta. None of the new songs are even close to that and I dont think they will ever be able to write like that again. Now they just sort of write very safe rock songs, and thats what theyve been doing for a while now.

Well whats the big difference between then and now? A shit load of years. Back then they were hungry still trying to prove something even after the success of 2112. Well that desire doesnt last forever for any band. All creative wells run dry eventually.

I agree...though I don't see their well as 'dry' just yet.

Maybe it's because I'm actually a fan of modern Rush as well...but every album has shown me that they can still write great music, and CA was just further proof for me that they 'still got it'.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 09:21 AM)
Playing songs you wrote in your 20s when you're older is not nearly as  difficult as trying to write stuff like that. It takes serious dedication and effort to write very adventurous songs that soar like Red Barchetta. None of the new songs are even close to that and I dont think they will ever be able to write like that again. Now they just sort of write very safe rock songs, and thats what theyve been doing for a while now.

I agree...though I don't see their well as 'dry' just yet.

Maybe it's because I'm actually a fan of modern Rush as well...but every album has shown me that they can still write great music, and CA was just further proof for me that they 'still got it'.

Well, I dont mean bone dry exactly where all they're doing is pounding out garbage without trying. I do think they're trying and probably like what they're doing, which is all that really matters.

But the writing is not on the level as it once was, and age does that to people so Im not saying they just arent trying at all, I just dont believe its like it was when they were young men, and that will effect the writing.

I remained a rabid fan up to and including Counterparts (even though I felt queasy about Presto along the way). Test for Echo is where the band lost me. Vapor Trails didn't win me back either, but Snakes and Arrows came along and yanked me back onto the train. For the most part.

Peace.
Jeremy
2.gif

I'm kind of there with you.

Except Snakes nearly ended it for me.

Clockworks has brought me back to love.

If only the sound was where it should be.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jun 15 2012, 08:30 AM)
Well, I dont mean bone dry exactly where all they're doing is pounding out garbage without trying. I do think they're trying and probably like what they're doing, which is all that really matters.

But the writing is not on the level as it once was, and age does that to people so Im not saying they just arent trying at all, I just dont believe its like it was when they were young men, and that will effect the writing.

Age does that to *some* people, see Pete Townsend. They are choosing not to try as hard and that is a personality thing, not just age. There is a lot of pressure to "take it easy" and be lazy and fat at some point in life and it has become a mentality brainwashed into people. If some fans' expectations of older bands are so low, why not find a fresh young band to follow.

Someone earlier said old fans are passing away (?). I volunteer at nursing homes and have yet to hear Rush being played at any of them, but just wait about twenty years. These same arguments will still be happening from wheelchairs and maybe new Rush then will incorporate more keyboards. smile.gif Yup, they're immortal.