Alex's Hentor Sportscaster

LerxstLuthier

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 18 2012, 01:17 PM)
So part of the deal is that I do whatever it takes to make the guitar a 100% performance machine again. I'm humbled to be entrusted with this task and I am so looking forward to working on this axe again and bringing her back to her former glory (or beyond!)

Hint Hint.... do whatever it takes to make the guitar a 100% performance machine again.

Does this mean that we might get the chance see this guitar again on stage with Al?

I'm so excited. wub.gif

Yeah, that's kind of what I took from it too. Perhaps he'll use it on a song from the era. That would be a nice touch.

Thanks for your patience everyone. I know it must seem like a tease to have to wait for some pics. I have set up a session for Friday night to do a video shoot and photos of the Hentor. I just want to do it right. Really, I should have just done the photo and video shoot before even releasing the news that I have the guitar, then presented it all at once so nobody had to wait. But my own excitement overcame me! common001.gif

But I'll tell you what, here's a couple of quick snaps :

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/Hentor1.jpg

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo56/FreddyGabs/hentor2.jpg

As you will notice, the Bill Lawrence pickup has been swapped out for a Dimarzio. The first thing I did was plug into my Hiwatt and play a bit of Limelight. Yuk! The pickup sounded awful in this guitar...well, awful is too strong a word. The pole pieces didn't even line up with the strings and it just sounded dull and lifeless. So I immediately contacted Alex and asked if I could swap it out with a Bill Lawrence. A resounding "Yes!" was the answer.

Regarding whether Alex will play this guitar on stage...we'll just have to wait and see!

More later....

Doesnt look that bad, from your post it sounded like it was beat to death. tongue.gif

Just needs a major tuneup Are the frets worn out?? We await with patience. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Jun 20 2012, 11:25 AM)
Doesnt look that bad, from your post it sounded like it was beat to death. tongue.gif
Just needs a major tuneup Are the frets worn out?? We await with patience. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

No it doesn't look that bad. The biggest problem is that the cavity for the humbucker was routed very close to the floyd pivot posts. After the years of pressure the posts are beginning to give way, leaning towards the neck because the small wall of wood is busting out. The bridge is actually jammed into the pickguard plastic. I'm going to clean up the route nice and square and then graft a new piece of wood into the body and redrill for the floyd posts.

QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Jun 20 2012, 11:45 AM)
Any idea how much you'll be charging for these?

I originally thought that I would try to keep the price point low by buying parts (neck, body etc) from one of the big parts manufacturers like Warmoth or Musikraft. But there is no chance of getting a neck like this from them. The neck is unique in many ways so I'm going to make them myself by hand, replicating them as exactly as possible. Many people don't realize that the neck contributes a great deal to the overall sound of the guitar.

So, that being said these will essentially be premium handmade guitars. The simplest of my electrics (telecaster types) start at $2500 CAD and other models go up from there. Because this will be a limited production run I'd like to be able to offer the Hentors at that price point.

QUOTE (LerxstLuthier @ Jun 20 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (elvtnedge @ Jun 20 2012, 11:45 AM)
Any idea how much you'll be charging for these?

I originally thought that I would try to keep the price point low by buying parts (neck, body etc) from one of the big parts manufacturers like Warmoth or Musikraft. But there is no chance of getting a neck like this from them. The neck is unique in many ways so I'm going to make them myself by hand, replicating them as exactly as possible. Many people don't realize that the neck contributes a great deal to the overall sound of the guitar.

So, that being said these will essentially be premium handmade guitars. The simplest of my electrics (telecaster types) start at $2500 CAD and other models go up from there. Because this will be a limited production run I'd like to be able to offer the Hentors at that price point.

That sounds about right to me.

I priced one out using Warmoth parts and found it would be very hard to stay under $1500 USD. Building the neck from scratch would definitely get the price up there.

What happened to the old 'no fine tuner' Floyd and when did it get routed out for the recess?

That guitar looks a little familiar...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/Hentor2-1.jpg

Just for giggles, here's the only one I have left although it's now sporting a black pickguard.:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/5-FenderStrat.jpg

The no fine tuner floyd got swapped out for the fine tuner floyd in the late 80s I believe. I did the recess route for the floyd later (early 90s) on Alex's request. Edited by LerxstLuthier

Wow... just wow. I just don't know what to say! I've always wanted to make some kind of hentor clone from warmoth parts, but this is the real deal right here. WOW.

Sadly, I'm fresh out of money for a clone, much less this project. I got me a ESP ST-203FR which is a good way to go for low money-dudes like me. Just need to get that Bill Lawrence pickup... but OUCH for $40 shipping!! That's just ridiculous...

But... haha, I'm still in awe. This is definitely one of my fav guitars! Very fun to know that alex still have it (and possibly even going to use it on the tour!? pure speculation obv).

Too bad that they decided to only play on sweden rock festival this year, from the looks of it... Double the travel expenses, probably double the ticket fees. I'm destined to miss out, clearly.

Wow, so yeah lots of changes...locking nut, recessed FR, looks almost yellow now. What dimarzio is in there? (I actually love the AT1, it's a great pickup).

Definitely picks of the inners, routes, stock pickups, would be awesome.

I actually did the black one from a 77 strat, but it already had the a FR, I really just routed the switch, wiring, and changed the pickups and pick guard, and nut.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3136/77hentor.jpg

Can't wait to see more!!! Thanks

Freddy does amazing work, I can't wait to see the work in progress.

Definitely hope there is a serial number on the inside somewhere, so we can solve the year...pots values, wiring, wow we have had alot of questions about this guitar here. Ha.

2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

Edited by jdouglas

I know it's not a restore back to 1981 job, but I just love the tone this guitar had on the ESL video.

The clean sound was so good yet it had the perfect amount of crunch/balls too. Very well balanced.

I can't tell in the video if that was the gibby pickup or the BL. I kinda think it was the gibby. Was it the Super Distortion one from the HRF series or one like the ES355 I wonder? Anyone know for sure?

2.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 28 2012, 12:31 PM)
I know it's not a restore back to 1981 job, but I just love the tone this guitar had on the ESL video.

The clean sound was so good yet it had the perfect amount of crunch/balls too. Very well balanced.

I can't tell in the video if that was the gibby pickup or the BL. I kinda think it was the gibby. Was it the Super Distortion one from the HRF series or one like the ES355 I wonder? Anyone know for sure?

2.gif

The ESL video is the gibby for sure IMO. The BL has a very distinct sound. You would be able to tell the difference.

Yup, I think there is a spot or two in the video if ya freeze it you can see the chrome cover on the bridge PU, but not many, so I was totally sure. Just curious which gibby PU, but I don't think they had a ton of different version back then...and Bill Lawerence actually made a Gibson pickup around early 80s called the original...with the Left Right diagram on the back. Hmm.

2.gif