07 - Best Song From Permanent Waves

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1297 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science

Natural Science....It's the I used to love practicing to

The Spirit of Radio is Rush's greatest song. It's Neil's perfect indictment of the music biz and the bullshit idea of "artist with integrity" which so many acts fostered for commercial gain. It might even be a subtle jab at Rush themselves. I think I'd even place it in Rock 'n' roll's all time top ten. But I chose Entre Nous because it just makes my spirit soar. With its regal but diffident musical vibe and its grand, imagery laden statements about human love and interaction this song could have easily been pretentious sludge instead of what it is, something so beautiful and true.

If it was Natural Science live in 1981 I'd vote for that (St.Louis Keil Auditorium), but it isn't, so my vote is for Entre Nous. Spirit of Radio? No thanks, sick of it (is it a great song? absolutely, but come on people, which one of us couldn't play every note backwards in our heads????)

It's Neil's perfect indictment of the music biz and the bullshit idea of "artist with integrity" which so many acts fostered for commercial gain.

I don't think "artists with integrity" is a "bullshit idea." I think it's what Rush is all about! In this song, other songs from this album, and some songs on other albums, they champion the dual causes of personal and artistic integrity. "It's really just a question of your honesty." Look at "Natural Science," and the way Neil celebrates honesty and integrity - first artistic integrity, and then personal integrity:

Art as expression, not as market campaings,

Will still capture our imaginations;

Given the same state of integrity,

It will surely help us along.

The most endangered species - the honest man -

Will still survive annihilation.

Forming a world - a state of integrity;

Sensitive, open, and strong.

jacob's ladder. something about that song just hits me. i can't describe it, its just there. amazing tune, and at the moment, my favorite rush tune.

i must also mention the guitar work in freewill, mindblowing. that guitar solo is by far my favorite of any song, anywhere.

I was really stuck here; this is one of my favorite albums, and I love every song on it. I chose Entre Nous, but both Different Strings and Natural Science are also faves of mine.

fists crying.gif I don't wanna pick just one!!!!!

Without a doubt, my favorite album.

I can't say enough about it.... Natural Science, Entre Nous, Freewill.... but it begins with a harmonic bang unlike anything else in rock music.

My vote goes to Spirit, if not for the blistering intro and melody, then for the lyrical genius play on Simon and Garfunkel.

Permanent waves is one of five albums that i hold close to me so it is hard to really choose a song wacko.gif .so I went with "Natural Science" because I love the guitar/bass play in it...it blew me away as a lil kid, and it still does...and may i add It was awsome on Rush In Rio! "Entre Nous" and "Different Strings" were the other two that i was thinking about choosing but i don't like em as much today smile.gif, "Jacob's Ladder" also has great guitar/bass play and i always get grand visions when listening to it ...and as to why i didn't pick "Spirit of the Radio" or "Freewill"...i thought they were understood favorites laugh.gif