07 - Best Song From Permanent Waves

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1297 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• The Spirit of Radio
    • Freewill
    • Jacob's Ladder
    • Entre Nous
    • Different Strings
    • Natural Science

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 26 2004, 08:43 PM)
Tough, tough call between NS and JL. Two masterpieces. I give the nod (right now) to NS. Now ask me next month and I'll probably answer differently biggrin.gif

you took the words right out of my mind Snowdog biggrin.gif

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 24 2004, 06:26 PM)

Freewill also meant a lot to me growing up. Being spirituly inclined in my formative years, this song propelled me into questioning everything put before me and not taking stock answers from anyone, especially clergy. There is more to life than we can measure or perceive and this song pointed the way for me to begin my own spiritual exploration.

I have to confess that the lyrics to "Freewill" are sort of a mystery to me.(the music is awsome)..even if it is thought provoking in many respects. "I will choose Freewill" does not make sense to me. Freewill is something that we have already. How can I choose something I already have. It is sang with such triumph, but seems like no triumph at all. Everyone chooses freewill everyday. Even if you devoutly subscribe to moral codes , or principles, you can freely reject them at any moment, and that is because you have a freewill..you are never locked in once you subscribe. IF sneering lines like "A host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance" and "you can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice" are sneering at Jesus's or Moses's teachings...well, I just cant fathom their teachings as being summarized as a "host of holy horrors"...

I will choose goodwill myself...because it is good. Ill-will is bad , and freewill can choose either or neither. Goodwill is the hardest , and gravity goes with illwill. Freewill with out a fight towards good , slouches toward gravity. hmmm..i can tell that i am typing too late at night fing.gif

Though everyone has the option for freewill, not all choose to accept and practice it. Also with the holy host of horrors reference, I never got the impression he was denouncing religeon from it. I think what he meant by that line was that there are many people who feel their opinions to more important, and derive more power from the more people that listen to them. The term holy simply refers to their arrogance or self-proclaimed riteousness, not refering to religeon. He is expressing he doesnt choose to follow in someone elses beliefs, that he chooses to form his own.

That was my take on the song.

I have listened to this album SO many times (had it been vinyl or cassette it would have long since worn out!), so this was a very difficult decision to make....I love Spirit for it's Spirit smile.gif I love Freewill, I love Entre Nous and Jacobs Ladder....but of them all, Natural Science is my favorite....it is PHENOMINAL to see them play it live....so fuggerin' TIGHT they are!!!!! trink39.gif

Flawless album. Not a bad note from start to end. Natural Science takes it though. Freewill's solo section is a close second. 2.gif

"The Spirit of Radio" is when the "real fun" started. Bought the 1st copy right off the truck in Lansing, Michigan. January, 1980. joker.gif

Spirit of Radio. I ran the sound for a band at our high school talent show back in 1984 and this is what we played. My best friend played bass and sang and he substituted my name (wesley) for "salesmen". No one knew he was going to do that, and I know it's corny, but it actually sounded good and it was funny as hell.

I was in front of the stage and embarassed as hell.

"and it echoes with the sound of wesleys, yeah wesleys, ohhh wesleys!!!"

LOL

Highlight of my high school days, isn't that sad!

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Nov 13 2004, 07:28 PM)
Leewill.

BTW ... war2112 my band played SoR at my high shool talent show as well. 1982.

Excellent. We now have two things in common, Rush and that experience! Glad to meet ya.

Wow I am a little surprise that Natural Science is in the lead on this one I thought for sure it would have been spirt or freewill. biggrin.gif

The most endangered species

The honest man

Will still survive annihilation

Forming a world

State of integrity

Sensitive, open and strong

QUOTE (Batman @ Nov 25 2004, 08:44 AM)
Wow I am a little surprise that Natural Science is in the lead on this one I thought for sure it would have been spirt or freewill. biggrin.gif

The most endangered species
The honest man
Will still survive annihilation
Forming a world
State of integrity
Sensitive, open and strong

So did I. Natural Science is just an amazing song though. It's one that I never get tired of hearing.