Strange bit in the Classic Rock mag

Your_Lion

The Classic Rock magazine with the Fan Pack was an informative and enjoyable read, but one part in particular had me scratching my head and going "huh?".

It's from the page on Counterparts.

"Sandwiched between two albums - Roll The Bones and Test For Echo - that hardcore fans often discuss with great affection, 1993's Counterparts tends to get written out of Rush history."

Really?confused13.gif

Edited by Your_Lion

Frankly, I also did not like their almost apologetic description of Caress of Steel. Don't have the magazine with me at work to quote directly, but the tone in it was something along the lines of "Can't imagine Caress of Steel being anyones favorite Rush album". Edited by Animate

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 14 2012, 08:13 AM)
The Classic Rock magazine with the Fan Pack was an informative and enjoyable read, but one part in particular had me scratching my head and going "huh?".

"Sandwiched between two albums - Roll The Bones and Test For Echo - that hardcore fans often discuss with great affection, 1993's Counterparts tends to get written out of Rush history."

Really?confused13.gif

I noticed that, too. Counterparts is probably in my top 3 fave Rush albums, and after all these years it still tickles my fancy. One of their best albums, I think.

And I noticed the sentiment with Caress of Steel, too. It's not my very favourite album, but I do really enjoy it, and I like it for what it is - crazy, envelope-pushing epic songs, and has a real gem with 'Bastille Day'. It's unfortunate that something that Rush was so proud of when they made it has become a bit of an embarrassment. I don't think it's worthy of embarrassment, but to each their own, I guess.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 14 2012, 08:13 AM)

Really?confused13.gif

Yeah, pretty ridiculous. I could see how someone who isn't "in the know" would be under the misconception that Roll the Bones is widely beloved simply because it sold so many copies, but Test for Echo? As for Counterparts being neglected, I could see people drawing that conclusion only if they're basing it on the fact that the guys in the band themselves haven't exactly lavished praise on it over the years.

Frankly, I also did not like their almost apologetic description of Caress of Steel. Don't have the magazine with me at work to quote directly, but the tone in it was something along the lines of "Can't imagine Caress of Steel being anyones favorite Rush album".

Well, screw them. That's my favorite Rush album and one of my favorite records of all time.

Well, in a way. I do have to agree with the magazine in some of that area...

As a somewhat newer Rush fan of a few years ago. I only JUST heard of Counterparts a few months ago. It is a very "under the radar" album that not very many people have heard about except for a typical Rush fan.

I do disagree with them, though, that Test For Echo and Roll The Bones are albums that fans discuss with "great affection". Those are probably my two least favorite albums and I'm sure most other fans can agree. I love them both, but just not as much as others.

AND WHAT IS WITH THAT BULLCRAP WITH CARESS OF STEEL!? That is an amazing album.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 14 2012, 05:33 PM)

As a somewhat newer Rush fan of a few years ago. I only JUST heard of Counterparts a few months ago. It is a very "under the radar" album that not very many people have heard about except for a typical Rush fan.

I do disagree with them, though, that Test For Echo and Roll The Bones are albums that fans discuss with "great affection". Those are probably my two least favorite albums and I'm sure most other fans can agree. I love them both, but just not as much as others.

I'm with you and my first new release was GUP. I like Counterparts a lot but man I freaking can't stand RTB. T4E, eh, haven't heard it in a long time and if I don't again it's no big deal.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2012, 05:59 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Jun 14 2012, 05:33 PM)

I'm with you and my first new release was GUP. I like Counterparts a lot but man I freaking can't stand RTB. T4E, eh, haven't heard it in a long time and if I don't again it's no big deal.

You never know. Maybe going back to them might change your opinion again. But, they are with out a doubt their more weaker albums of the 20.

QUOTE (Your_Lion @ Jun 14 2012, 06:13 AM)

Really?confused13.gif

Judging by what I've read here on TRF, the exact opposite is true! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Sin City @ Jun 14 2012, 04:56 PM)
It's pretty much written out of MY history anyways.........As I said on another thread counterparts and test for echo were records of a band dying on its arse.

rofl3.gif

Counterparts is hardly written by a band dying on it's arse. After the underwhelming Hold Your Fire, Presto, and Roll the Bones, Counterparts re sparked Rush. Their heaviest album since the 70's

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:36 AM)
I found Counterparts depressing and uncharacteristically Rush

I found your usage of the word 'uncharacteristically' to be characteristically incorrect.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 15 2012, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 15 2012, 11:36 AM)

I found Moving Pictures to be completely uninspired and tirelessly boring.

I found 2112 to be too poppy and completely insignifcant.

QUOTE (beherit @ Jun 14 2012, 04:16 PM)
These lame-ass magazines know 2112 and Moving Pictures and nothing else.

Wait. Can we go back to this?

This isn't a "lame ass magazine" - it's a

132-page magazine dedicated to one of hard rock's biggest and most enduring bands.
So, it may be an odd quote, but it's not some toss off sentence that's part of a three column piece in Rolling Stone or something. The whole "magazine" is a Rush book, done with cooperation from the band.

But, yeah, I like Counterparts . . . but not as much as Clockwork Angels. amirite? High five.

QUOTE (CrossedSignals @ Jun 15 2012, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jun 15 2012, 08:36 AM)

I found your usage of the word 'uncharacteristically' to be characteristically incorrect.

corrected, thank you. TGIF

QUOTE (Animate @ Jun 14 2012, 08:40 AM)
Frankly, I also did not like their almost apologetic description of Caress of Steel. Don't have the magazine with me at work to quote directly, but the tone in it was something along the lines of "Can't imagine Caress of Steel being anyones favorite Rush album".

in my top 5 COS