Booujze or Rupert?

Earthshine

Would RUpert have done better?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would RUpert have done better?

• Yes! Presto is their best produced album!
    • Yes! Roll The Bonds is their best produced album!
    • No! Leave that Booujze alone!
    • Maybe!
    • They both could have collaborated!
    • Booujze is the best producer Rush ever had!
    • Booujze is the best for where Rush are now!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Jun 14 2012, 02:24 AM)
Forgot to mention Rupert Hine in my last poll, who did some great production on Presto and Roll The Bones. Both much more bigger sounding and much less compressed than Clockwork Angels.

Presto's production is clean but very, very weak. It's tinny. The drums sound like tupperware that's been stretched in a vice. There's too much high ping to the snare drum. The whole recording has no punch whatsoever, it's one of the down points of the album for me. I like a lot of the songs on there but that production puts me off a bit.

Rupert fares pretty well with the Anagrams, Prestos, and Hand over Fists of the world, but I think stuff like Carnies, BU2B, and Seven Cities of Gold isn't the sort of material he works best with. He couldn't even do a decent job on moderate rockers like Dreamline, Chain Lightning, and Ghost of a Chance.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 14 2012, 03:44 AM)
Rupert fares pretty well with the Anagrams, Prestos, and Hand over Fists of the world, but I think stuff like Carnies, BU2B, and Seven Cities of Gold isn't the sort of material he works best with. He couldn't even do a decent job on moderate rockers like Dreamline, Chain Lightning, and Ghost of a Chance.

The production is slightly better on RTB, but still a little thin...

Absolutely not.

Rupert Hine did a TERRIBLE job with the two albums he was given (Presto, RTB), so there's no reason to think he'd do better with CA.

I still can't get over how people attach the sound of a particular album to a producer and then assume any other album made during any era by that same band/producer combo would sound that same way. It's nuts. It doesn't matter if Terry Brown or Peter Henderson or Peter Collins or Rupert Hine produced CA it's not going to sound anything like the 70s or 80s albums. It just wouldn't. Go listen to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire and then listen to Counterparts and Test For Echo. Both pairs were produced by Peter Collins and the first 2 have signature 80s sound and the latter 2 have signature 90s sound and if any of them were still with Rush today it would not be much different than what CA is. Look at Terry Brown, ATWAS sounds nothing like ESL. Fly By Night sounds nothing like Signals. The idea is just silly that any producer is going to make a band sound like they are from another time.

I would have puked if Rush went back to the sonic approach of Presto (one of their weakest albums ever) and Roll the Bones (a great album).

This albums balls would have been sucked out. Kinda like a vasectomey of their sound.

The production of Presto and Roll the Bones was soft. And it worked at the time for those songs and where the band was at. They were clearly in transition. Counterparts brought them back to the growling rawness of their music.

Now if you tell me Peter Collins.....yeah I loved every production/mix/master he did with Rush. Sonic bliss for the most part.

And of course Terry Brown is a no brainer.

Rupert Hine.....no please no.

Edited by Todem

QUOTE (Todem @ Jun 14 2012, 09:24 AM)
I would have puked if Rush went back to the sonic approach of Presto (one of their weakest albums ever) and Roll the Bones (a great album).

This albums balls would have been sucked out. Kinda like a vasectomey of their sound.

The production of Presto and Roll the Bones was soft. And it worked at the time for those songs and where the band was at. They were clearly in transition. Counterparts brought them back to the growling rawness of their music.

Now if you tell me Peter Collins.....yeah I loved every production/mix/master he did with Rush. Sonic bliss for the most part.

And of course Terry Brown is a no brainer.

Rupert Hine.....no please no.

Nick is good for where the boys are now. The only people I would like to see 2.gif return to would either be Terry Brown or Peter Collins!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

My ranking is:

1. Nick R.

2. Terry Brown

3. Peter Collins

4. Some random guy who handles snakes for a living

5. The guy who listens to albums backwards to find hidden messages of Satan

6. The producer for Lady Gaga

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

1,237,937. Rupert Hine

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 09:03 AM)
I still can't get over how people attach the sound of a particular album to a producer and then assume any other album made during any era by that same band/producer combo would sound that same way. It's nuts. It doesn't matter if Terry Brown or Peter Henderson or Peter Collins or Rupert Hine produced CA it's not going to sound anything like the 70s or 80s albums. It just wouldn't. Go listen to Power Windows and Hold Your Fire and then listen to Counterparts and Test For Echo. Both pairs were produced by Peter Collins and the first 2 have signature 80s sound and the latter 2 have signature 90s sound and if any of them were still with Rush today it would not be much different than what CA is. Look at Terry Brown, ATWAS sounds nothing like ESL. Fly By Night sounds nothing like Signals. The idea is just silly that any producer is going to make a band sound like they are from another time.

Of course there are other people and factors involved in how an album turns out, and one factor is certainly the time period during which the album is recorded, as you've noted. But I think it's evident when questions like this are posed that we're supposed to answer based on the evidence we've got. So of course our responses in this case are going to include our thoughts on Rupert's previous work. No, that work isn't a foolproof indication of how Clockwork Angels would've turned out if Rupert had produced it, but that's why topics like this are best viewed as fun little hypothetical situations to think about rather than as premises for some sort of precise study.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 10:03 AM)

Bingo.

Again, people clinging to the hope that Terry Brown will bring a second coming of golden era albums is beyond ridiculous.

Yes, Broon was the producer during their greatest stretch of albums. But, that doesn't mean that 30 years later, he'll produce another set of them.

People think Terry Brown, they automatically think Hemispheres, PeW, MP...but it doesn't mean crap today.

Like ReRushed (I believe) stated in another thread, 'Terry Brown benefited more from Rush than Rush did from Terry Brown'.

Anyways, as far as this thread goes...no, I'm not keen on Rupert Hine working with them again. The two albums he was there for were ultra light, and to me...it sort of ruined what are otherwise fantastic songs on both Presto and RTB.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jun 14 2012, 10:35 AM)
My ranking is:

1. Nick R.
2. Terry Brown
3. Peter Collins
4. Some random guy who handles snakes for a living
5. The guy who listens to albums backwards to find hidden messages of Satan
6. The producer for Lady Gaga
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
1,237,937. Rupert Hine

laugh.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 09:40 AM)

Bingo.

So you agree with snowdog2112, but then...

You say exactly the sort of thing he railed against:

Anyways, as far as this thread goes...no, I'm not keen on Rupert Hine working with them again. The two albums he was there for were ultra light, and to me...it sort of ruined what are otherwise fantastic songs on both Presto and RTB.

laugh.gif

I'm with you, I wouldn't want the "polite, white, clean, and neat" production of Hine to come anywhere near Rush again, but according to snowdog2112, having Hine again doesn't mean we'd have the same "Hine sound" again. Or whatever.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 14 2012, 10:55 AM)

Bingo.

laugh.gif

I'm with you, I wouldn't want the "polite, white, clean, and neat" production of Hine to come anywhere near Rush again, but according to snowdog2112, having Hine again doesn't mean we'd have the same "Hine sound" again. Or whatever.

laugh.gif

Yes, and you know...I actually realized it as I was writing it. I was thinking, 'eh...maybe Rupert Hine could be given a second chance'.

I guess I should've been more clear, as I kind of went in two directions on this one as far as my response.

With Terry Brown...I'm referring to people's expectations of the SONGS themselves. People believe that having Broon working with Rush means the extreme high quality of songwriting that they made in the golden era.

= Pretty unlikely it will happen again.

With Rupert Hine, I was referring strictly to the SOUND of the album. All of Terry's albums had excellent sound overall, so I didn't consider it an issue. Rupert only worked on two albums with the band, but everyone labels both of them as being 'too light'.

= Much more likely it could happen again.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 10:55 AM)

Bingo.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Yes, and you know...I actually realized it as I was writing it. I was thinking, 'eh...maybe Rupert Hine could be given a second chance'.

I guess I should've been more clear, as I kind of went in two directions on this one as far as my response.

With Terry Brown...I'm referring to people's expectations of the SONGS themselves. People believe that having Broon working with Rush means the extreme high quality of songwriting that they made in the golden era.

With Rupert Hine, I was referring strictly to the SOUND of the album. All of Terry's albums had excellent sound overall, so I didn't consider it an issue. Rupert only worked on two albums with the band, but everyone labels both of them as being 'too light'.

laugh.gif

With me, anytime I join these "what if Past Proucer X came back?" discussions, I'm always answering in terms of the SOUND and overall PRODUCTION of the albums. I agree with you (and perhaps even with snowdog2112 if this is what he meant): having one of the older producers come back doesn't mean the old style of SONGS comes back.

I wouldn't want the Hine Sound again, but I would like the Broon Sound.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 14 2012, 12:02 PM)

I agree with that part.

Broon never made a bad-sounding album, and all of his albums were made without the technology that we have available today.

It's impressive to think that everything he did with the band was done before 1983, and yet not one album sounds like shit. It's incredible.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 14 2012, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 10:55 AM)

Bingo.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

With me, anytime I join these "what if Past Proucer X came back?" discussions, I'm always answering in terms of the SOUND and overall PRODUCTION of the albums. I agree with you (and perhaps even with snowdog2112 if this is what he meant): having one of the older producers come back doesn't mean the old style of SONGS comes back.

I understand the sentiment, but "the Broon sound" just underscores what I was saying. What is it? Most of his albums didn't sound like each other, either. Some were wildly different from each other. People here are just responding to albums being less dense but they all were back then, everybody's albums. Brown just happened to be there during that era.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Jun 14 2012, 09:03 AM)

I am not suggesting they would make it sound like albums they have produced before. Just what they could do now.