2012 NHL Offseason

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 29 2012, 02:26 PM)
Details on new NHL proposal

Bringing the salary cap down to $58M without a rollback? I'd hate to be the GM of a cap ceiling team who has to sort out that mess. As someone pointed out on Twitter, if the owners knew this was coming, it explains why there's so many good UFAs still unsigned...

The lower cap should make the owners of lesser teams happy and the players will have to bite the bullet. Everyone else has to, in our current economy. Drop the puck! 1287.gif

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 30 2012, 03:55 PM)
Nice to know the Oilers aren't worried about potential CBA changes. 6x$6M contract extension for Jordan Eberle. wacko.gif

How are they going to pay those young hotshots?

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 30 2012, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 30 2012, 03:55 PM)
Nice to know the Oilers aren't worried about potential CBA changes. 6x$6M contract extension for Jordan Eberle. wacko.gif

How are they going to pay those young hotshots?

Who knows. $6M for Eberle is nuts. If RNH, Yakupov, and Schultz start to reach their potential before their ELCs end, there's no way they can keep their core together and still put a decent team around them. Especially if the cap goes down (which is looking more and more like a certainty).

Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
Don Fehr: "at this point the talks are off."

b_sigh.gif

Also Gary Bettman called revenue sharing a "distraction", so I guess that answers the question of whether the league is trying to help small-market teams become profitable, or just maximize profit for the big ones.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 31 2012, 04:37 PM)

b_sigh.gif

Also Gary Bettman called revenue sharing a "distraction", so I guess that answers the question of whether the league is trying to help small-market teams become profitable, or just maximize profit for the big ones.

You'd think Don Fart and Gary Buttman would find common language. confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 2 2012, 05:19 PM)
if there is no hockey season i hope there will be some college hockey or ahl shown. i'm not a big football fan.

It'll be fine. Did you see Zetterberg sweating like a pig at the press conference? He's working hard on a deal. wink.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 2 2012, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 2 2012, 05:19 PM)
if there is no hockey season i hope there will be some college hockey or ahl shown.  i'm not a big football fan.

It'll be fine. Did you see Zetterberg sweating like a pig at the press conference? He's working hard on a deal. wink.gif

lets hope so otherwise it will be a long winter.

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Aug 31 2012, 09:31 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Aug 31 2012, 04:37 PM)

b_sigh.gif

You'd think Don Fart and Gary Buttman would find common language. confused13.gif

At least it isn't as bad as the NFL and refs, but this is ridiculous. They better git it done or f*ckin hell I'll be pissed. Waiting for the day Buttman is out. Been waiting.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 3 2012, 03:17 PM)
this is changing the subject but just out of curiosity, any news on what will happen with the coyotes? stay or go?

Still seems to be up in the air. Greg Jamison was going to buy the team and keep them in Phoenix, but it's been a month or two and he still hasn't got the financing worked out yet.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 3 2012, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Sep 2 2012, 07:20 PM)
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliot...,6653644.column

goodpost.gif Really sums everything up well.

"The business is booming?" rofl3.gif I'm not surprised The L.A. Times would side with the union. tongue.gif And to mention the poor, crazy about hockey Minnesota takes the cake. The NHL wants to lower the cap and these lesser owners can't cut the mustard? Give me a break. P.S. 57%-43% to 46%-54%? Where's my handkerchief?

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 3 2012, 10:10 PM)

"The business is booming?" rofl3.gif I'm not surprised The L.A. Times would side with the union. tongue.gif And to mention the poor, crazy about hockey Minnesota takes the cake. The NHL wants to lower the cap and these lesser owners can't cut the mustard? Give me a break. P.S. 57%-43% to 46%-54%? Where's my handkerchief?

"Business is booming" is a totally fair statement if we're talking about the league as a whole...revenues have soared under the current CBA. And yeah, 46% of the pie is still a lot of money, but I still think it's shitty for owners to give a contract to players for x amount of money, and then turn around and say "we're going to lock out the whole league unless you agree to take less money than we promised you". It's one thing to do that when the league is struggling financially (as it was in 2004), but now?

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 4 2012, 01:16 AM)

"Business is booming" is a totally fair statement if we're talking about the league as a whole...revenues have soared under the current CBA. And yeah, 46% of the pie is still a lot of money, but I still think it's shitty for owners to give a contract to players for x amount of money, and then turn around and say "we're going to lock out the whole league unless you agree to take less money than we promised you". It's one thing to do that when the league is struggling financially (as it was in 2004), but now?

If the contracts are signed, how can they ask the players in question to play for less?

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 3 2012, 11:35 PM)

If the contracts are signed, how can they ask the players in question to play for less?

By getting the PA to agree to a league-wide salary rollback. They got a 24% rollback after the last lockout, and the league wants something similar this time.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 4 2012, 02:18 AM)

By getting the PA to agree to a league-wide salary rollback. They got a 24% rollback after the last lockout, and the league wants something similar this time.

I have not heard of a "rollback" in any articles I've read but if we can take money away from Keith, I'm all for it. 1287.gif

QUOTE (blackhawkrush @ Sep 4 2012, 12:26 AM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Sep 4 2012, 02:18 AM)

I have not heard of a "rollback" in any articles I've read but if we can take money away from Keith, I'm all for it. 1287.gif

Fair enough laugh.gif

Of course, it's not just about the Keiths, Crosbys, and Kovalchuks of the league...the 4th-line grinders making league minimum would rightly be pissed off about losing almost a quarter of their salary. Sure, they'd still be making great money compared to most of us, and they shouldn't be crying poor- but the same goes for the likes of Ed Snider, Jeremy Jacobs, and Rocky Wirtz. And let's not forget that pro athletes have much shorter careers than most people do...