The Last Three v The Three Before

treeduck

Last three or the three before? Which do you prefer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Last three or the three before? Which do you prefer?

• I prefer Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows & Clockwork Angels to the 90s albums
    • I prefer Test For Echo, Counterparts and Roll the Bones to the last three records

QUOTE (default236 @ Jun 13 2012, 07:47 AM)
Counterparts is my favorite record and it always will be. Clockwork Angels is in second place of these six albums. CP>CA>S&A>VT>RTB>T4E. IMO. 1022.gif

Double sorry. oops.gif

RTB - a great album IMO

CP - Another great album

T4E - I loved it at the time but it has not aged well for me

VT- Passion, fire and a sonic tragedy. I hope the remix does it justice

Snakes and Arrows - one of their finest efforts IMO Not a classic but a super strong collection of songs

CA - Really a trememdous effort and their best playing in over 25 years on record.

Went the the post 90's.....but RTB and CP are excellent albums. T4E has great moments (Title track, Driven, Totem, Resist, Color of Right)

I love Roll the Bones, despite the rap.

Counterparts will forever be one of my personal favorite albums. It blew me away then and it continues to blow me away now.

Test for Echo... eh... it probably suffers for following Counterparts, but it really didn't do much for me as a whole. Most of the songs are great, but it just doesn't destroy me the way Rush usually does.

Vapor Trails is amazing.

Snakes and Arrows is amazing.

Clockwork Angels is the best album they've made in at least 30 years.

The 21st century wins.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 13 2012, 01:55 AM)
I voted for VT, S&A and CA as well...

I like the other three too but just not as much.

This.

There isn't a Rush album that I don't enjoy listening to, but since VT, it appears that each album from Rush is an improvement from it's predecessor.

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jun 13 2012, 04:05 AM)
I'd definitely take Vapor Trails over Roll the Bones and Snakes & Arrows over Test for Echo. I'm not sure at this point if I'd go with Clockwork Angels over Counterparts (both are excellent), but I'm leaning in that direction. Either way, the last three albums get my vote.

This is exactly how I feel. The 90s, IMO, are saved by Counterparts. Not to be too harsh on T4E and RTB, as I like both of them. But Counterparts is a great, great Rush album for me. I remember being a Rush noob and seeing that album in HMV, and I was like, "Oh, a Rush album in the 90s?!" laugh.gif That was a long time ago now.

Annnnyways, Counterparts is fantastic, but I'd still probably go with 21st Century Rush.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 13 2012, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 13 2012, 08:58 AM)
Oh most recent three, although I enjoy the 90s albums more than most fans, I reckon.

Along with me and ILSnwdog...

trink36.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (briere2112 @ Jun 13 2012, 07:28 AM)
Went with the 90's albums, almost entirely on the strength of Counterparts.

If i had to rank them, i think this is how it would go (for today):

Counterparts
Clockwork Angels
Snakes and Arrows
Roll the Bones
Test for Echo
Vapor Trails

CP has a better sound since it doesn't have as much instrumentation. However, I'm sure the first two will switch after a few more listens on the strength of the songs alone.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 13 2012, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 13 2012, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 13 2012, 08:58 AM)
Oh most recent three, although I enjoy the 90s albums more than most fans, I reckon.

Along with me and ILSnwdog...

trink36.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

Aye...

trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

First post here. I'm not even a longtime reader; I just stumbled upon this place today. Pardon me if I violate any of the local cultural mores.

I too voted for The Last Three. IMHO:

Vapor Trails was an excellent slab o' mighty fine Rush. I'm no audiophile (and I hope to never be one; it seems like it only causes a bunch of grief), so I have no issues with the recording. Snakes and Arrows was a grave disappointment. I like Far Cry and We Hold On, as well as a couple of the instrumentals, but that's about it, if I even remember correctly. And Clockwork Angels is just kicking my *ss. Loving it! So...2 out of 3.

As for the Three Before, well, most of Roll the Bones is unlistenable and I don't care for the majority of Counterparts. The bright spot in this group is Test For Echo. So...1 out of 3.

I voted for the 3 21st century albums, but only because they were grouped together. Not even talking about the crappy production of the album, I still think Vapor Trails is the worst album ever made by Rush. The album just sucks all across the board, whereas Snakes and Arrows is still one of my top 5 Rush albums and Clockwork Angels has some serious momentum to be in the top 10 for sure and its light years better than Vapor Trails.