Bernie Grundman

Terrapin

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP needs to clean out his/her ears or get some decent speakers. CA sounds amazing.

End of discussion.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 17 2012, 05:00 PM)
The OP needs to clean out his/her ears or get some decent speakers. CA sounds amazing.

End of discussion.

Before you slam people.....our resident Audio experts have some opinions in another thread about the mix/production......it may sound good to you, but others have expressed some issues with it..

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 17 2012, 05:52 PM)

End of discussion.

Before you slam people.....our resident Audio experts have some opinions in another thread about the mix/production......it may sound good to you, but others have expressed some issues with it..

Experts eh?..........hmmmm.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 17 2012, 06:06 PM)

End of discussion.

"resident Audio experts"

Launchpad and Cyg,.....they know quite a bit.... wink.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 17 2012, 07:09 PM)

End of discussion.

"resident Audio experts"

Wow, you guys are really going up against a brick wall with Clockwork Angles on this one.

banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif

Guys CA is just too damn good!

yes.gif

But its fun to watch you keep trying. I give you props for your tenacity alone!

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 06:50 PM)

End of discussion.

"resident Audio experts"

Wow, you guys are really going up against a brick wall with Clockwork Angles on this one.

yes.gif

I don't mind the album.....just stating the fact that several people are hearing issues with the mixing/mastering.....I have yet to listen to it on a good stereo system..

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 17 2012, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 17 2012, 06:50 PM)

End of discussion.

"resident Audio experts"

yes.gif

I don't mind the album.....just stating the fact that several people are hearing issues with the mixing/mastering.....I have yet to listen to it on a good stereo system..

Its a bit bassy on a stronger stereo system but that grows on you as well!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

The album clearly sounds better on headphones than on my mid level stereo system with a subwoofer. In fact, I can't crank it up to loud or it sounds pretty crappy.

Love the songs though!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/internet%20stuff/LOLZ/showphpiSo_Embearassed-eC6c.jpg

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 12 2012, 07:20 PM)
Good God, the audiophiles with the golden ear who all know better than the professionals that RUSH hires.

"why don't they hire me??"

Enough with the "I know better than working industry professionals" crap.

You don't.

"Working industry professionals" is not some monolith which abide by the same quality standards. Albums do get ruined. And sometimes bands get screwed by their labels. Glittering prizes and endless compromises much?

So you like the sound. Great. A lot of people don't. You can take pleasure in the fact that many of we awful and inconsiderate people who dare to criticize an aspect of the "industry" are not taking as much pleasure in the sound as you are. Crank it to 11, dude! Unfortunately I cannot. It's not personal.

-------

I came on the forum today to start a thread asking about CA's sound and found this one. Confirms what I thought: It sounds pretty bad to more than just a few Rush fans. It's a shame really. I mean, why put strings on it if they cannot even breathe?

I don't who is responsible for it,

but I think that's him over there? >>> comp26.gif

QUOTE (Ged Lent's sis @ Jun 18 2012, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 12 2012, 07:20 PM)
Good God, the audiophiles with the golden ear who all know better than the professionals that RUSH hires.

"why don't they hire me??"

Enough with the "I know better than working industry professionals" crap.

You don't.

"Working industry professionals" is not some monolith which abide by the same quality standards. Albums do get ruined. And sometimes bands get screwed by their labels. Glittering prizes and endless compromises much?

So you like the sound. Great. A lot of people don't. You can take pleasure in the fact that many of we awful and inconsiderate people who dare to criticize an aspect of the "industry" are not taking as much pleasure in the sound as you are. Crank it to 11, dude! Unfortunately I cannot. It's not personal.

-------

I came on the forum today to start a thread asking about CA's sound and found this one. Confirms what I thought: It sounds pretty bad to more than just a few Rush fans. It's a shame really. I mean, why put strings on it if they cannot even breathe?

I don't who is responsible for it,

but I think that's him over there? >>> comp26.gif

Nick Rasculinecz is responsible. He mixed and produced the album. It's not the mastering, even though that could be better too, but it's not brickwalled so my guess is that the originally recorded tracks were treated with all sorts of limiting and compression (especially the drums) before being mixed to stereo.

Nick even had an interview last month where he talked about how raw it sounded and how he hopes Rush fans can get past looking at waveforms and commenting on how compressed it is for the sake of the music.

He knew what he was doing and started defending it before the album already came out.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 17 2012, 06:52 PM)

End of discussion.

Real audio experts are too busy working to post on fan forums.

Resident 'experts' use the anonymous internet to validate their lives and feel important.

The album rocks. Period.

It's exactly how RUSH wanted it, and to question RUSH's judgement, you better be in YES or GENESIS or FLOYD. You better having something more than "I own some software and I know how to use it."

BFD, dude. Big Farking Deal.

Your opinion, educated or otherwise is just an opinion, personal taste, a subjective POV. Owning software and equipment does not put you on the same level as RUSH and therefore questioning the 'mix' is just people trying to sound important.

CA is their best work since Signals. IMO. the guitar rocks. the bass rocks. and the drums are amazing. IMO

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jun 18 2012, 11:49 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jun 17 2012, 06:52 PM)

End of discussion.

Real audio experts are too busy working to post on fan forums.

Resident 'experts' use the anonymous internet to validate their lives and feel important.

The album rocks. Period.

It's exactly how RUSH wanted it, and to question RUSH's judgement, you better be in YES or GENESIS or FLOYD. You better having something more than "I own some software and I know how to use it."

BFD, dude. Big Farking Deal.

Your opinion, educated or otherwise is just an opinion, personal taste, a subjective POV. Owning software and equipment does not put you on the same level as RUSH and therefore questioning the 'mix' is just people trying to sound important.

CA is their best work since Signals. IMO. the guitar rocks. the bass rocks. and the drums are amazing. IMO

Actually, real audio engineers do have time to post on the Steve Hoffman forums (hosted by Steve Hoffman, mastering engineer).

Something tells me you couldn't take the criticism this album is getting over there in regards to its sound production.

No need to be belligerent to those who disagree with you on how the album sounds.

Edited by marblesmike

End of discussion.

Go to the Hoffman forums and argue with them, perhaps they need to clean out their ears (maybe suggest that to them)....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jul 8 2012, 07:26 PM)

End of discussion.

Go to the Hoffman forums and argue with them, perhaps they need to clean out their ears (maybe suggest that to them)....

I don't want to argue with anyone, I just wanna have a good time all the time.

biggrin.gif

All this arguing and backbiting is pointless and childish. If you like the way CA sounds then great, all power to you. Why you then feel the need to chide and insult people who raise issues over the mixing and mastering is beyond me. No-one is saying that CA is not a fantastic album; it is. It's just that for those of us who care about this sort of thing and have the systems and ears to hear differences it is a subject worth debating, in a calm and mature manner.

My personal opinion is that the sound of CA, while not being the worst out there, is not good either. I recently bought the new special edition of Moving Pictures. The 24/96 remaster of that classic album is absolutely fantastic. It is one of the few modern remasters that I think actually improves on the original. So then, why does CA have to be mixed with weak drum sounds that are too quiet and severely limited dynamics? The vinyl edition is much better but still far from perfect as the mix is inherently at fault. It's frustrating but luckily, the sheer quality of the songs does go a long way to making up for it. Le sigh.

The thing about the anonymous internet, people like to pretend they're 'experts' and they know something.

Real experts and professionals are working and wouldn't bother posting on fan forum.

When I read these hate threads by 'experts' I picture a fat dude alone in his basement. He wants so bad to feel important. He wants to be heard and have people respect him. So why not criticize real industry progressional and great musicians.

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 10 2012, 04:50 AM)

The thing about the anonymous internet, people like to pretend they're 'experts' and they know something.

Real experts and professionals are working and wouldn't bother posting on fan forum.

When I read these hate threads by 'experts' I picture a fat dude alone in his basement. He wants so bad to feel important. He wants to be heard and have people respect him. So why not criticize real industry progressional and great musicians.

I'm talking about Cyg and Launch. They know a few things about Audio Production and both bring up some excellent points regarding the production issues on CA....

QUOTE (ThinkingBig @ Jul 10 2012, 05:50 AM)

What, so like deep down inside they have no issues with how crappy the album has been mixed?

What I read is folks who are genuinely disappointed that such an incredible band of musician/composers could have fallen victim to one particular aspect of the industry they triumphed over for so long.

Protest as you might, the Big Money has final say and the loudness war and associated compression obsession is very real.

At this point, I think the real question is: If the latest RUSH albums were still being produced with breathing room, would they be as popular? Somebody doesn't seem to think so.

"Industry professionals" are hardly a guarantee of quality. In the days of old, I would record LPs onto tapes to listen to and there was a record volume knob and accompanying LEDs on the tape deck so you could make sure the sound would be audible but not distorted by being recorded too loud. "Industry professionals" have been raising this knob for 12 years and ruining a lot of music. I had a better handle on recording volume when I was 11 than the engineers who now turn that knob to 11.