Unbelievable

Zanadoo

Maybe this doesn't warrant its own thread, but holy shit this album is absolutely incredible. I just finished my first listen on the actual CD through a nice system and I am completely moved. This album took me on an unbelievable journey that seamlessly blended colorful stories, self reflection, and kickass music; I've never experienced anything like it.

I am overjoyed that any band can create something this mature and progressive, and the fact that it is Rush makes me one happy guy.

Thank you Rush.

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 12 2012, 06:02 PM)
Maybe this doesn't warrant its own thread, but holy shit this album is absolutely incredible. I just finished my first listen on the actual CD through a nice system and I am completely moved. This album took me on an unbelievable journey that seamlessly blended colorful stories, self reflection, and kickass music; I've never experienced anything like it.

I am overjoyed that any band can create something this mature and progressive, and the fact that it is Rush makes me one happy guy.

Thank you Rush.

Amen!

Clockwork angel.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jun 12 2012, 06:02 PM)

Thank you Rush.

Lot of emotion and passion in this record. A very fired up album that is both inspiring and energizing, and yes, perspective inducing. Rush has always talked about the bigger picture.....life and humanity through various angles and segments. Lyrically, this album has one of the most panoramic perspectives on life any album could possibly cover that makes me reflect and introspect much more profoundly than any recent Rush album has elicited, thanks to its bound, conceptual frame and first person chronology. To me, it's not as deep and coherent as the classic and most famous concept albums from the 70s, but it certainly holds its own contemporarily and appeals more universally. I think almost everyone can closely relate personally to at least one track.

I find the music and lyrics very attunely complementing each other to highlight the true art that this is with the whole being greatsr than the sum of its parts. A very gestaltic piece.

It's not a flawless record, and yes, small parts do sound a bit too loud, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the very concentrated songs. There is also enough breathing room in between and within the songs.....lot of spacious moments with that wall of sound being limited in length due to the variety of textures and minimal layering.

Thank you, Rush, for this beautiful and powerful record that to me, is a career highlight.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jun 12 2012, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 12 2012, 06:11 PM)
I didn't bother trying to figure out the story. I just listened to the songs.

same here. wacko.gif

I started reading it as the hero writing his memoir, highlighting the various journeys of his life. I'm sure the novelization will address the specifics of characters and segues between the adventures, but I don't think that's the purpose of the album. They really blend the story, the message, and the music so perfectly.

Edited by Zanadoo