RUSH songs for a beginner guitar player

briremo

So I've picked up the guitar again after a 15 year hiatus.

So far I've learned Going to California, Tangerine, Hey Hey What Can I DO, and Cover Me (by Candlebox) to name a few (some eagles and other stuff).

But the question is what RUSH tunes can I begin to work on? My favorite Broon's Bane has proven difficult.

Can you guys recommend any songs that I might try with some basic chord progressions and/or picking? I know, a tough request.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, Playing a Martin DX1 and not so good at bar chords yet

QUOTE (vitalsigns318 @ Jun 12 2012, 01:23 PM)
"Fly By Night" was the first Rush song that I learned. It is very easy, I often warm up with this song because it is also very easy to sing.

excellent idea!

QUOTE (briremo @ Jun 12 2012, 11:33 AM)
"Fly By Night" was the first Rush song that I learned. It is very easy, I often warm up with this song because it is also very easy to sing.

excellent idea!

really fun arpeggio to play

Fly by night is easy to sing? Doesn't he get pretty high up the register on that one? (at least high D, right?)

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Jun 26 2012, 10:29 PM)

Fly by night is easy to sing? Doesn't he get pretty high up the register on that one? (at least high D, right?)

I'm a girl, so Fly By Night is a perfect song for me to sing, I guess it might be different for a guy.

Hi all, newb here.

There are a number of comparatively easy Rush songs for guitar. The Larger Bowl is pretty easy to play (C, Am, E and G chords) and sounds great on an acoustic.

The Trees is a fairly simple song, it just sounds a lot more complex than it really is.

Limelight is also pretty straightforward.

QUOTE (Symmetre @ Jul 3 2012, 04:31 PM)
Hi all, newb here.

There are a number of comparatively easy Rush songs for guitar. The Larger Bowl is pretty easy to play (C, Am, E and G chords) and sounds great on an acoustic.

The Trees is a fairly simple song, it just sounds a lot more complex than it really is.

Limelight is also pretty straightforward.

thanks, i'll check those out too

"Discovery" from 2112.

I learned so much about moving chord shapes around the neck form this one little piece.

"Soliloquy" is also easy to learn and very satisfying to play.

"No One At The Bridge" is just too cool.

• Like 1

Tears is quite easy, just a little finger picking and 6 chords.

As our guitar guru mentions, aside from the intro, Closer To The Heart is only 3 chords.

In The End is also easy, not just the beginning but all of it.

The Sphere isn't too difficult.

The acoustic version of Resist isn't too bad, Bravado the same.

Believe it or not, Marathon is pretty easy, too.

Not easy but very rewarding (if you're playing acoustic) is Presto. Work your way up to it - it took me the better part of a year to be able to play but I was SO proud when I finally did.

Good luck! smile.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 9 2012, 05:39 AM)
Not easy but very rewarding (if you're playing acoustic) is Presto. Work your way up to it - it took me the better part of a year to be able to play but I was SO proud when I finally did.

Presto is alot of fun to play. I learned it for the acoustic singalong at Rushcon III. The beautiful thing about Rush songs is that they are highly structured and you can easily play them with other people who know them as well. Also, you can learn alot about music by playing Rush tunes.

QUOTE (vitalsigns318 @ Jul 10 2012, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 9 2012, 05:39 AM)

Presto is alot of fun to play. I learned it for the acoustic singalong at Rushcon III. The beautiful thing about Rush songs is that they are highly structured and you can easily play them with other people who know them as well. Also, you can learn alot about music by playing Rush tunes.

That's for sure! My husband says that if I can learn to play Rush music, I can learn anything. I'm still working on it wink.gif

BTW, another SUPER easy song - though not Rush - is Lucky Man.

G-D in the verses and Em-Am-D on the chorus. Easy as pie! biggrin.gif

• Like 1

The first Rush song I learned was "In the Mood" - I still like playing that tune. Maybe that's 'cause it was also the first solo I could figure out! A lot of the songs from the first 2.gif album are simple but really RAWK to play on guitar (IMHO). I really learned a lot about Alex's playing from that album - some of the unusual scales and notes he chose that you can still hear in later songs.

I remember the first time I played La Villa all the way through - what a trip from 2.gif to Strangiatto!

There's no better way to learn yer way around the guitar than learning the Lerxst.

• Like 1

QUOTE (spock @ Jul 10 2012, 05:01 PM)
The first Rush song I learned was "In the Mood" - I still like playing that tune. Maybe that's 'cause it was also the first solo I could figure out! A lot of the songs from the first 2.gif album are simple but really RAWK to play on guitar (IMHO). I really learned a lot about Alex's playing from that album - some of the unusual scales and notes he chose that you can still hear in later songs.

I remember the first time I played La Villa all the way through - what a trip from 2.gif to Strangiatto!

There's no better way to learn yer way around the guitar than learning the Lerxst.

You know, I haven't really tried any from the first album. I should, huh?

I can play about 75% of La Villa. Lemme tell you, the first time I played the LVS theme, I couldn't stop grinning for hours! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2012, 03:05 AM)

Absolutely. In the Mood and What You're Doing are a lot of fun to play and take about two seconds to learn.

Back to the original question--Subdivisions is about as easy as they come.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Jul 11 2012, 03:35 AM)

Absolutely. In the Mood and What You're Doing are a lot of fun to play and take about two seconds to learn.

ohmy.gif

Subdivisions is easy??!? Okay, it's not Hemispheres or anything, but it wasn't easy, at least not for me. That darned arpeggiated chorus is confusing. But the hardest thing for me is going from the B to the Bm/F# and the A to Esus4 in the introduction.

Part of my problem - and I've seen others mention this - is that Alex can go from one part of the fretboard and/or finger position to a completely different one in zero seconds! Me, I need a second to get my fingers there. Alex must be related to The Flash or something! unsure.gif

I will however, have a go at these songs on the first album. Thanks!

BTW, I love how the players on TRF support, help and encourage one another. It's so great smile.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 12 2012, 12:03 AM)

ohmy.gif

Subdivisions is easy??!? Okay, it's not Hemispheres or anything, but it wasn't easy, at least not for me. That darned arpeggiated chorus is confusing. But the hardest thing for me is going from the B to the Bm/F# and the A to Esus4 in the introduction.

Part of my problem - and I've seen others mention this - is that Alex can go from one part of the fretboard and/or finger position to a completely different one in zero seconds! Me, I need a second to get my fingers there. Alex must be related to The Flash or something! unsure.gif

BTW, I love how the players on TRF support, help and encourage one another. It's so great smile.gif

Yeah, when I first tried to play Freewill it was pretty hard to play the chords after the intro right after each other. I eventually got it with practice.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jul 11 2012, 09:03 PM)

ohmy.gif

If you have any questions on how to play it feel free to ask. Practice, practice, practice. smile.gif