Alex's effect on Carnies...

vital signz

Right before they go into the part "How I prayed to get away..." Alex gets this effect with an almost pizzicato arpeggiated carnivalesque sound that is so brilliant---- Nick mixes a part of that sound at the beginning of the song before everyone comes in so it floats all around your head, when you are wearing headphones... Beyond fun!

I wonder if it will be sampled live, or if Alex the innovator, will have the effect available on his board...

Anyone have any idea??

This song has really grown on me.

I think this is is one of the coolest things I have ever heard. I am sure someone will flame this, but I really am not sure that there has ever been an effect like that before.

I love Carnies - especially that Chorus.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 12 2012, 07:49 AM)
Carnies is one of the best tracks on CA, people just haven't realized that yet!

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

yeah, the problem is though, the whole album's just f*ckin brilliant you cant just single out one or two tracks...... i also luv the bit 5:22 in the anarchist where Al goes mental again... pure lifeson at his crazy best

Edited by lifeson90

It definitely has some cool parts.

I would say this is one of the tracks that I'm still 'working on'.

However, even with a track that I find a bit tough to get into, it still has redeeming qualities. I absolutely LOVE the awesome bridge section on this song! 1022.gif

QUOTE (HeadlongMark @ Jun 12 2012, 09:22 AM)
While driving home after picking up dinner last night, I saw a truck hauling a funnel cake stand that you see at fairs. Threw on Carnies instantly.

Possibly one of the best things I have heard this week thus far. laugh.gif

Rich Chycki recently blogged the following:

The making of this album was a further development of technique and technology and also a return to some old ways. In my work with some of Rush's older masters like Moving Pictures, I learned that at that time much of the processing for guitars was committed to tape - a good example being the solo in Limelight, which is a stellar performance wrapped in lush sonics. Alex and I applied much of the same methodology for Clockwork, where a song like Carnies for example, with complex modulations, panning, eq and echo were committed as a premix during the recording phase for simplicity and reproducibility down the road. And Alex did some amazing solos in preproduction that were again, tweaked with vintage and modern technology during the recording phase so they would sit well within the production guidelines that the band had set.

This song has really grown on me. Unlike the title track, this song took a little longer, but I'm finally really getting into it. The guitar effects and sounds are like candy. Just great stuff. I'm finally understanding the mathematics of the song. I'm kinda liking how it goes into this almost desperate storyline at the end, and it kind of leaves you hanging in a way, before Halo Effect starts. This very cool song that has been running through my head off and on for the last 24 hours. Also, for some reason when I listen to the song in my head, the lyrics "a pink carnation and a pickup truck" keeps entering my head during the final sequence of the song. For SOME reason, I don't know.

I've been listening to parts or all of the album almost every day, but it doesn't seem like enough. But, I suppose that's good. Some moderation.

trink38.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jun 21 2012, 06:42 PM)
Rich Chycki recently blogged the following:

The making of this album was a further development of technique and technology and also a return to some old ways. In my work with some of Rush's older masters like Moving Pictures, I learned that at that time much of the processing for guitars was committed to tape - a good example being the solo in Limelight, which is a stellar performance wrapped in lush sonics. Alex and I applied much of the same methodology for Clockwork, where a song like Carnies for example, with complex modulations, panning, eq and echo were committed as a premix during the recording phase for simplicity and reproducibility down the road. And Alex did some amazing solos in preproduction that were again, tweaked with vintage and modern technology during the recording phase so they would sit well within the production guidelines that the band had set.

This song has really grown on me. Unlike the title track, this song took a little longer, but I'm finally really getting into it. The guitar effects and sounds are like candy. Just great stuff. I'm finally understanding the mathematics of the song. I'm kinda liking how it goes into this almost desperate storyline at the end, and it kind of leaves you hanging in a way, before Halo Effect starts. This very cool song that has been running through my head off and on for the last 24 hours. Also, for some reason when I listen to the song in my head, the lyrics "a pink carnation and a pickup truck" keeps entering my head during the final sequence of the song. For SOME reason, I don't know.

I've been listening to parts or all of the album almost every day, but it doesn't seem like enough. But, I suppose that's good. Some moderation.

trink38.gif 2.gif

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 12 2012, 06:29 AM)
Right before they go into the part "How I prayed to get away..." Alex gets this effect with an almost pizzicato arpeggiated carnivalesque sound that is so brilliant---- Nick mixes a part of that sound at the beginning of the song before everyone comes in so it floats all around your head, when you are wearing headphones... Beyond fun!

I wonder if it will be sampled live, or if Alex the innovator, will have the effect available on his board...

Anyone have any idea??

I love it too.....totally matches the carnival scene!

Edited by Gedneil Alpeart

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 21 2012, 08:09 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 12 2012, 06:29 AM)

Anyone have any idea??

I love it too.....totally matches the carnival scene!

I don't think so. I think he is talking about a verse part with a bunch of chorus and a little delay

One of my favorites right from the start, and its probably the one that I'm queuing-up the most lately. The lyrics work so well with the music. I love how that fast, heavy riff kicks-in right after Geddy sings, "the angry crowd moves toward him with bad intent!" So many great little bits packed into a really cool and unusual arrangement; and its only 4 1/2 minutes long!

I'm gonna predict this "effect" will be sampled live. Just like the OHHHHS and AHHHHHS in Earthshine. tongue.gif . Since Alex is playing a R.H. arp. underneath this effect and the effect itself sounds like it is played using a barre chord . It sounds to me like a leslie speaker effect.

Alex's effect on the Carnies was to influence them in their food intake and diet. Suddenly they dropped their tent pegs, double-sided silver coins and gypsy crystal balls and filled their hands with cream cakes, and subsequently proceeded to fill their faces!! ohmy.gif And now the Carnies are so morbidly obese they have to be rolled from town to town!

wacko.gif sad.gif ohmy.gif

Carnies is one of the best tracks on CA, people just haven't realized that yet!

Agreed - it is definitely one of the songs that jumped out at me. It does have a clunky title, but the song itself is great!

I love that guitar effect!! i was almost going to fast forward,to the next song,first time listening,in my car.then i heard that part,i burst out laughing...you know how,when you hear something so cool,you just

laugh out loud with joy!! that is the best.like brain candy.Alex is still

so great,so innovative... 2.gif

Picture the song in a live show. The crowd surely goes for ...'the glint of iron wheee(h)eels...ohohouu...the smell of...you know how it goes, it's a future hymn.