The Anarchist

iluvgeddy05

It was definitely in my top four, but today I think I'll place it firmly at #1. It's the track I want to "go to" the most.

Edited by GeddyRulz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Slack jaw gaze @ Jun 16 2012, 09:34 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 15 2012, 11:51 AM)
Has anyone heard "The Pedlar" repeat ("What do you Lack?") again at :35 during the intro. I only heard it through headphones.

yes.gif

I was wondering about that. Now that you mention it, I believe it is the Anarchist repeating the question rhetorically "What do I lack?", since the song is in his words (and since this is what the liner notes say).

WALKING AMONG THE PEOPLE - who are so content, so blind - the Anarchist hears the pedlar's call, and sneers derisively. "What do I lack? Ah ... vengeance?"

These lyrics brilliantly summarize so many angry people:

The lenses inside of me that paint the world black

The pools of poison, the scarlet mist, that spill over into rage

The things I've always been denied

An early promise that somehow died

A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage

The playing is fantastic by all 3. This is an all-time top 10 Rush song to me.

I relate to those lyrics. Not out of anger, but out of despair.

QUOTE (rcsrich @ Jun 15 2012, 03:05 PM)
Love this song! I think it is my favorite, but a tough call to make. I have to say though that I'm hearing what sounds like an edit in the vocal at about 5:58, right at the word "been". maybe a splice between vocal takes? Just curious if anyone else is hearing this or if it's my MP3 copy (via Amazon).

Okay- I am apparently crazy. I've got a set of Grado headphones headed my way from Amazon & will listen again... eh.gif

BTW, the album is brilliant. It's no mean feat to generate something original and quality after almost 4 decades. biggrin.gif

Edited by rcsrich

This song is soooo amazing. Like someone pointed out, it starts like it's going to be an instrumental. It goes through a series of amazing riffage after another. It's just such sweet riffage, it's the most pleasing since TSOR. I've said it before and I've said it again. Neil's drumming is so loose and free, and Geddy is locked right in there with him. Geddy's singing is out of the park excellent. The lyrics are so strong (as they are everywhere). Alex is just momentous on this song. I use to think the strings were a touch superfluous, but no more. Love at 5:09 when taurus pedals are activated and Alex goes off.. oh yeah. Great end. A perfect Rush song! It's a 10!!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yes Geddy, Alex and Neil, don't read this thread. Your heads will enlarge to the point of explosion. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jun 22 2012, 10:41 PM)
This song definitely got me on the first listen. I'd pick The Anarchist and Clockwork Angels as my favorite songs.

goodpost.gif

Same here!

Still my fave. Rocking, and with a well sung, catchy chorus.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2012, 03:19 PM)
So far, this is The One for me.  Who else?  The leading drums, initial bass notes, the "Bollywood" feel at points, and the ties to a mid-80s Signsls/ GUP sound at  the breakdown before the lyrics.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 9 2012, 06:31 PM)
QUOTE (Bangster of Goats @ Jun 9 2012, 08:26 PM)
Yup, I LOVE this song.  Such a classic Rush song.  The nod-to-PeW/MP/Signals parts, the Geddy bass riffage in the chorus, the textural elements (megaphone Geddy, the tasteful yet effective strings), Neil's tribal drum parts, the relentless feel of it (careful while driving while listening to this song, you might find yourself going 20 miles over the speed limit.)

I agree. This is one song where I can definitely hear some 80-to-82 slipping in.

Excellent song........I found it reminded me of NWM..............

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=75426

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 09:25 PM)
the first time I read the tracklist I thought it was called "The Antichrist". Sounds like a title right up Neil's alley

1022.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 09:32 PM)
It's a great song no doubt, but I still rate it 8th or 9th on CA. TBH, the song has a LOT of great competition on the album. Too many songs I consider a bit greater to put it very close to the top...

Thats one way to know for sure it's a great album.

We can argue passionately about which song is the best and both have valid arguments smile.gif

The Anarchist is going on a full week of being my fave on the album... I expect it'll change at some point but for now at least I cannot get it out of my head.

At the very least it has the most compelling chorus on the album IMO.

QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 26 2012, 09:45 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 26 2012, 09:32 PM)
It's a great song no doubt, but I still rate it 8th or 9th on CA.  TBH, the song has a LOT of great competition on the album.  Too many songs I consider a bit greater to put it very close to the top...

Thats one way to know for sure it's a great album.

We can argue passionately about which song is the best and both have valid arguments smile.gif

The Anarchist is going on a full week of being my fave on the album... I expect it'll change at some point but for now at least I cannot get it out of my head.

At the very least it has the most compelling chorus on the album IMO.

It's been stuck in my head ever since I heard it on June 4th for the first time wink.gif

This is firmly my #1 song on CA.

This is the Rush I love most. And the chorus is just out of this world. The whole intro where they play all three parts of the song is like a mini "Prelude"

Just outstanding.

QUOTE (RUDT @ Jun 27 2012, 06:45 AM)
This song is doing nothing for me, it's no more than a good rock song. confused13.gif

no.gif

...it is much more than that smilies-8579.png

wink.gif

Edited by Xanaseb

QUOTE (CantStopThinkingBig @ Jun 26 2012, 08:25 PM)
the first time I read the tracklist I thought it was called "The Antichrist". Sounds like a title right up Neil's alley

that made me guffaw haha.

laugh.gif