Possible Billboard placement?

The Owl

I know it's almost irrelevant to alot here, but I still like to see the boys get recgonition.....so....

I wonder that if Snakes and Arrows came in at number 3 on the billboard 200 at it's debut, I wonder how will it will place after a week of being out.... Rush's populairity has certaintly increased over that last 5 years, so you would think they can do better than the achievement of 3..

I looked at what albums Rush is up against, and Rush has 3 real other main competetors... A New Smashing Pumpkins, Linkin Park, and uggghhhh Justin Beiber.....

Sadly, I really have no doubt that "America's Youth" will raise that little shit to have the number 1 album...but I think it would be cool if Rush got the #2 spot (and what a dichotomy that would be between 1 and 2)

One prediction that I will make is that they will last longer on the list than they did on S&A, who droped to i think somewhere in the 60s after 2 weels... and was off after 4 weeks... I think they will possibly fall down the list a tad slower and might stay on the list for at least 2 months...that's just me though

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 8 2012, 11:06 PM)
I am optimistic that when more people hear this album, at the very least, Rush will have their first Gold album since Test for Echo.

Don't know about that. Yes the quality deserves it but I think there are still too many people just willing to download it and not pay.

Aren't there two different "charts?" Billboard is radio play and RIAA or Soundscan is sales or something like that? I don't think Rush will chart well on Billboard, since they won't get much radio play & requests; but, on sales numbers, they should do well. I don't know if they'll beat Usher over all in sales, but I bet they might have a shot at #1 on Amazon.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 8 2012, 09:23 PM)
I am optimistic that when more people hear this album, at the very least, Rush will have their first Gold album since Test for Echo.

Don't know about that. Yes the quality deserves it but I think there are still too many people just willing to download it and not pay.

Yep, that's true.

On a related tangent, Billboard has a new chart called "Social 50" that ranks artists by the amount of related talk on social networking sites and blogs. IMO they should extend it to cover specific albums and give out gold and platinum albums based on that, rather than record sales. That would give a much more accurate picture of how many people have listened to an album.... record sales simply aren't that relevant anymore, so gold albums should be based on listens and buzz, not sales. But I don't think the industry is ready to call it quits just yet....

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 8 2012, 10:23 PM)

I'm too tired to type out my usual rant about how piracy is a red herring and how the recording industry is blowing the problem so far out of proportion that it would be laughable if it weren't so criminal.

So just pretend I wrote it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:23 PM)

True. But I still feel that the majority of people who appreciate music such as Rush end up buying the physical copy, or at least, the MP3 on itunes.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 8 2012, 09:33 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 8 2012, 10:23 PM)

I'm too tired to type out my usual rant about how piracy is a red herring and how the recording industry is blowing the problem so far out of proportion that it would be laughable if it weren't so criminal.

So just pretend I wrote it biggrin.gif

I'm right there with you, dmc. trink39.gif

At this point I think it's pretty meaningless unless they get #1. They've had one #4, three #3 and one #2. No one outside of Rush fans seem to care if they don't hit the top spot, and we all know there's only one week to do it, as the second and third weeks, etc. will have a significant drop.

The charts are rigged,who the hell keeps buying Journey's greatest hits?If it charts at no 5 or above it will be amazing but then it will probably drop like a stone.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:24 AM)
The charts are rigged,who the hell keeps buying Journey's greatest hits?If it charts at no 5 or above it will be amazing but then it will probably drop like a stone.

Its amazing what a bit of product placement on Glee club can do for your career..I think that's the only reason that Journey are charting again, could be wrong though! To quote the great Bill Hicks.."I think someone from Journey has been Sucking Satans c*ck" rofl3.gif

I'd be mortified if Rush ever ended up on that car crash of a show 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (blueskiesecho @ Jun 9 2012, 12:06 AM)
QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 9 2012, 01:24 AM)

Its amazing what a bit of product placement on Glee club can do for your career..I think that's the only reason that Journey are charting again, could be wrong though! To quote the great Bill Hicks.."I think someone from Journey has been Sucking Satans c*ck" rofl3.gif

I'd be mortified if Rush ever ended up on that car crash of a show 062802puke_prv.gif

laugh.gif

Don't worry.... I don't think Rachel & co. will be performing an acapella rendition of "The Spirit Of Radio" anytime soon.... I doubt most Glee viewers have heard of Rush.