Are We Looking Through Rose Colored Glasses?

presto123

I have been hanging on another non-Rush music forum and although reviews of CA are mostly positive most of them stop short of calling this record a true return to form like many of us believe. So is this really a return to form or more of the same ol same ol?(not that that's a bad thing) Personally for me this record is filled with goosebump moments and that is what originally attracted me to Rush. While I like all their records those moments have been few and far between for me since probably the late 80's. That's why I say it is a return to form. 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 8 2012, 10:10 PM)
It's not even out yet?? I mean, I know it's out there, but still. I don't even know if the honeymoon phase has really begun yet.

For you it hasn't. tongue.gif

CA is so different from any other album Rush has made since Moving Pictures. This is a true progressive rock album. It's not just a collection of songs. And they are all well made despite some opinions regarding some of the songs. I truly believe this album will be loved for years to come.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 8 2012, 10:29 PM)
For me it is an album that I WANT to keep hearing again. I think that is important. I have not had this feeling for a new Rush album in a long long time.

My feeling too....it's not just the newness....there's an evergreen quality to it...

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 8 2012, 10:29 PM)
For me it is an album that I WANT to keep hearing again. I think that is important. I have not had this feeling for a new Rush album in a long long time.

My feeling too....it's not just the newness....there's an evergreen quality to it...

trink39.gif

Had to rely on Youtube streams as Tasmania post is slow.There is so much to take in. Remember a few days ago people trashing Carnies based on a sample that had a carousel going round. The huge plus on this album is that for the first time in ages Geddy's vocal sits perfectly in the music,and no ooohs and aaaahs to pad it out.

QUOTE (tas7 @ Jun 8 2012, 10:51 PM)
Had to rely on Youtube streams as Tasmania post is slow.There is so much to take in. Remember a few days ago people trashing Carnies based on a sample that had a carousel going round. The huge plus on this album is that for the first time in ages Geddy's vocal sits perfectly in the music,and no ooohs and aaaahs to pad it out.

That is also what I enjoyed. Less Geddy Choirs and woah woah's made me a happy camper biggrin.gif I have always liked the music best when his voice is more singular. I think part of that is a slight return to the keyboards filling out the sound, which I have always felt makes Rush music better.

I agree with everything you guys are saying but a couple of them on the other board said it was laughable when I said CA might eventually climb into my top 3 Rush records. I guess some people will always be stuck in the past.

Are We Looking Through Rose Colored Glasses?

I see red.

And it hurts my head.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:26 PM)
I agree with everything you guys are saying but a couple of them on the other board said it was laughable when I said CA might eventually climb into my top 3 Rush records. I guess some people will always be stuck in the past.

I am surprised that people who like old Rush cannot see the obvious similarities to the classic era in this album. Their loss I guess. I am one who felt for a long time that their best music was far behind them, till I heard this album.

i dont have the download...but i have weakened and listened to all the songs online...just had to hear em!

i do think that this one has a special opportunity to remain a classic...right to think that newness gets us excited..and once saturation kicks in the real relevance and staying power shows...

i do give extra points when the latest thing they do has grand moments..nice to see them vital..

for example..though it took time..Vapor Trails grew on me and i thought of it in my top 3 for years...and when Snakes came out, i again enjoyed it for some time and it also felt top 5 for me...

BUT i also remember Counterparts, listening to Animate in my car for the first time and feeling that raw rock power...coming off the glassy gtr era of the 80's and PResto/RtB...i thought RUSH IS BACK!!

but in short time i struggled with the SONGS on Counterparts...i still dont connect well with that album..

but this album does feel like it will lock in and be one that i obsess about and elevate to top status...partly, admittedly, cuz it is new..and fresh...but mostly cuz it sounds great and is produced well and has great SONGS.

peace.

QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 8 2012, 08:29 PM)

True for me too, but I wanted to hear S&A over and over for awhile after it came out too. I originally had S&A at #4, and a few months later after the newness wore off and I was able to be a little more objective, it dropped to #14, which is where it's stayed.

That's why I won't give CA a number rated against other albums. It's simply too early for me to tell. The worst the album will do for me is #15, but I don't see it doing better than #10, but I suppose it COULD go higher.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 9 2012, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (Steely Caress @ Jun 8 2012, 08:29 PM)

True for me too, but I wanted to hear S&A over and over for awhile after it came out too. I originally had S&A at #4, and a few months later after the newness wore off and I was able to be a little more objective, it dropped to #14, which is where it's stayed.

That's why I won't give CA a number rated against other albums. It's simply too early for me to tell. The worst the album will do for me is #15, but I don't see it doing better than #10, but I suppose it COULD go higher.

I know in reading some of your past posts we have similar tastes in Rush. I did likes a few songs of S&A, but it never clicked with me. I felt like I had to force myself to listen to it. Same as VT. TFE I enjoyed for the year after it was released, I think due mostly to the fact that I was able to see them tour that year (first time for me), but as time went on it is an album that gets little love from me.

So at least wanting to keep hearing it again is a good sign.

Edited by Steely Caress