Carnies

GeddyLeeFender

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 8 2012, 02:49 PM)
QUOTE (Dscrapre @ Jun 8 2012, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 8 2012, 11:53 AM)
Way better than some of the mellower tracks (wreckers)

Them's fightin' words 1287.gif

Just an opinion. I'll take high energy any from Rush

Me too! Halo Effect is just a buzzkill after the five songs before it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (malnar @ Jun 8 2012, 04:18 PM)

Halo Effect to me is a needed breather after so many killer tracks before it. It's pleasant and soothing.

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 8 2012, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (malnar @ Jun 8 2012, 04:18 PM)

Halo Effect to me is a needed breather after so many killer tracks before it. It's pleasant and soothing.

I'm all for breathers, but I prefer something a little more unique and less adult-contemporary-radio than Halo Effect. Its a pleasant song, but it snaps me out of the otherworldy feel of the songs before it and brings me back to reality, and I find myself skipping to the next track often.

I'm not keen on how this song recycles Half the World. Its not entirely bad though-I do like the brief ethereal soundscape leading into it. smile.gif

Edited by malnar

I like it. Like others have said, its not the best song on the album but its a pretty cool song.

I also like Halo Effect. Half The World is one of the better songs off of T4E so I don't really have a problem with them "recycling it". Its a nice break after all the great tracks that come before it.

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 8 2012, 07:25 PM)
The smell of flint and steel
A wheel of fate, a game of chance

I like the 'odd' vocals here

Yes, that's gotta be one of the catchiest vocals Geddy has ever done on a record. It gets stuck in my head constantly. Double post FTW.

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 8 2012, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Jun 8 2012, 07:25 PM)
The smell of flint and steel
A wheel of fate, a game of chance

I like the 'odd' vocals here

Yes, that's gotta be one of the catchiest vocals Geddy has ever done on a record. It gets stuck in my head constantly. Double post FTW.

That part is so driving too....classic Rush groove, high tempo!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 8 2012, 11:24 AM)
Best part is:

How I prayed just to get away
To carry me anywhere
Sometimes the angels punish us
By answering our prayers

yes.gif

I like the song a lot. Both musically and lyrically is just a really good song all around. There are some very nice musical changes going on between the verses and chorus. I also love the way Geddy sings the line "a wheel of fate, a game of chance." The main riff will be cool as hell to hear live and will probably knock everyone on the floor. I pretty sure they'll have a video for this live with a bunch of messed up and funny stuff going on in it.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 8 2012, 02:56 PM)
I don't really get this one just yet. At the beginning it seems like it's going to be something different than what it turns out to be. So far, the least memorable song on the album for me.

I thought the same thing the first listen but now, for me, it's an absolute ass kicker. Love every second of it.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 8 2012, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Jun 8 2012, 02:56 PM)
I don't really get this one just yet. At the beginning it seems like it's going to be something different than what it turns out to be. So far, the least memorable song on the album for me.

I thought the same thing the first listen but now, for me, it's an absolute ass kicker. Love every second of it.

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

This is quickly becoming my favorite track on CA! I love the unusual arrangement and how the different parts mesh with and play off the lyrics... how the fast/heavy riff and the lyrical guitar melody alternate as the protagonist tries to warn the crowd but ends-up having everyone turn on him. Really effective especially when that fast/heavy riff kicks-in right in after Geddy sings, "The angry crowd moves toward him with bad intent." I also dig the open, soaring feel of the "how i pray just to get away..." parts. Alex's use of effects during those parts is super-cool.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jun 9 2012, 05:27 AM)
I realised how much I love Carnies last night when I was walking through Tesco doing some shopping with the iTouch blasting and realised that I was singing along out loud and drumming on the trolley handle. Ooooops!

Madra you seem the kind of bloke who could work as a Carnie. I can see you as one of those guys who has people throw balls at nailed down teddy bears? unsure.gif

QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 8 2012, 09:55 PM)
I don't hear any La Villa in it and I can play La Villa in full on guitar. *shrug* Unless you're talking about bass or some synth sounds or something.

Listen closely at 1:20, it sounds exactly like Strangiato at 0:23

QUOTE (Raichu4u @ Jun 9 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (UltimoGuitarist @ Jun 8 2012, 09:55 PM)
I don't hear any La Villa in it and I can play La Villa in full on guitar. *shrug* Unless you're talking about bass or some synth sounds or something.

Listen closely at 1:20, it sounds exactly like Strangiato at 0:23

The guitar effect and tone is similar, but thats all I can gather.