CA is a composition that should be played

vital signz

Rush should definitely play all of Clockwork Angels when they tour this year. After reading the lyrics for this album, and seeing how the story is told, it's not that unreasonable to feel that this entire concept may be the most ambitious record they've ever recorded. It is more "prog" than when they were pushing the limits of prog rock back in the 2112 to Hemispheres days.

Every song keeps getting better and better with each listen. That hasn't happened for me since Power Windows. Maybe Grace Under Pressure.

I'd prefer they don't just because there are soooo many other songs I'm dying to hear, but if they choose to play the whole thing, I won't cry about it. tongue.gif

yes.gif

I think they should play the first half of CA during the last part of the first set, and then open the second set with the second half, maybe with Seven Cities Of Gold. That would break it up nicely smile.gif

It does indeed deserve to be played - all of it. But 60+ minutes? Seems improbable.

Perhaps a few one-off special performances could be scheduled next year, with a full orchestra (and of course a DVD filming)? Also seems highly unlikely, but how awesome would that be?

Perhaps if The Boyz feel as strongly about this album as the fans (so far) seem to feel, they will consider something...

I totally want them to play it all.

been to every tour since Signals...and there are tons of amazing songs to revisit..but RUSH have shown that they are better than a greatest hits(journey/styx) novelty...they are totally relevant, fresh and powerful material...great quality of work...still amazing.

so they should start the show, do 40 mins..break...

do the middle the CA story all the way thru...break..

finish with a 30 min power-ending...then encore two songs...

i want to see a fresh show. how long has it been since you can sit and experience something NEW from RUSH on this scale? imagine(or remember depending on your RUSH AGE) sitting in the audience to watch 2112 in its fresh entirety...or HEMISPHERES in its prog glory...

set list(as if i have a say lol):

OPEN--

Spirit of Radio

Dreamline

Far Cry

Mystic Rhythms

La Villa

BREAK--

Clockwork Angels Suite!!

BREAK--

Tom Sawyer

Subdivisions

Armor and Sword

Mission

Anthem

ENCORE--

Limelight

Time Stand Still

Closer to the Heart

would trade a hit friendly two sets for a fresh new hour of music this time around.

if your gonna play something less familiar...you gotta make it the newest stuff.

peace!

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 6 2012, 10:44 PM)
yes.gif

I think they should play the first half of CA during the last part of the first set, and then open the second set with the second half, maybe with Seven Cities Of Gold. That would break it up nicely smile.gif

I bet this is exactly what they will do.

My guess all along is that this is why they moved all the shows to indoor venues. They've said before they like to save their "big" songs for the 2nd set when it's darker and you can see the visuals behind them. That won't be an issue indoors. I would bet the new songs will have lots of visuals to go with them. If we DO get the whole album I actually think it will be the first set, and the 2nd will be more of a "greatest hits" type set (hopefully with a few songs they haven't played in a while thrown in)

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Jun 7 2012, 07:50 PM)
My guess all along is that this is why they moved all the shows to indoor venues. They've said before they like to save their "big" songs for the 2nd set when it's darker and you can see the visuals behind them. That won't be an issue indoors. I would bet the new songs will have lots of visuals to go with them. If we DO get the whole album I actually think it will be the first set, and the 2nd will be more of a "greatest hits" type set (hopefully with a few songs they haven't played in a while thrown in)

I can just picture a sizeable portion of the audience saying to their buddies, "This is a cool tune [referring to a CA song being played] but where's Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, and Subdivisions" throughout a CA-riddled first set. I don't think they'll play all of it anyway. BUT if they do it'd seem like spreading out the entire album over both sets would be better.

Well, as long as they play Jacob's Ladder, that's fine by me!

biggrin.gif

Buuuut.... in that European interview with that Austrian dude, Geddy said that they'll be selecting songs, didn't hint at playing the whole album lol. But we'll see.

CA its certainly amazing, and great to listen to, as a whole. But on this tour at least it would be best to hear these great songs, alongside the classics. Can be really interesting. Edited by greg2112

As much as I'm really digging CA, I'd have to disagree.

I'd be cool with them playing about 7-8 songs from it...but the catelog is just so huge.

I also think they should break them up as well...like perform them in pairs:

Caravan/BU2B

Clockwork Angels/The Anarchist

Seven Cities of Gold/The Wreckers

Headlong Flight/The Garden

That way, you get a nice mix with plenty of new material for us all to enjoy, but leaves breathing room for all the past material.

The reason I say this is simply because there are WAY too many other amazing songs that I'd also love to hear. I want a nice mix of everything on this tour's setlist, if possible!

Now...if they'd be willing to ramp the shows up to 4 HOURS...then we're talking! yes.gif

What I'd really like to see is a pretty normal tour and then some special Royal Albert Hall (or some such venue) where they've rehearsed and do a special DVD of the album straight through with strings and piano (on the songs where they're used).

I don't mean the cliche "symphony" show like some bands do (with strings added to Tom Sawyer, LOL)...just a FAITHFUL one-off presentation of the album done in a quality venue.

I wouldn't mind if they played the whole album but like a few others said it would be best to break it up during the course of the entire show. Plus, with no instrumental songs on the album, i'm not sure Geddy has the voice anymore to be able to sing for over 60 minutes straight every night without getting the vocal break that an instrumental provides him.

Front to back tours only work if it's a concept album that is I. really heavy on story from one song to the next II. really enjoyable in a "it flows from one song to the next like one big song" vs. just being individual songs.

I kind of feel like CA is an album that feels like a collection of individual songs (which makes sense, given in the interview Geddy gave to SPIN). I remember seeing Iron Maiden perform A Matter of Life and Death front to back (another album that was a collection of songs). I actually love that album front to back, but I really regret that tour. If I could of had a choice, I would have rather they played a mix of all their career songs + songs from it.

Conversely (I know some of you will groan at this) - I saw Green Day in 2006 perform American Idiot front to back, and it was a blast. So much fun, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But that album was a lot more reliant on songs going into the next, and being a short burst of pop/rock. So it made sense to play it front to back. CA on the other hand, the individual songs are pretty lengthy, sometimes they are in their own head. And not all the songs are easy to get into (this is why I find the album so rewarding after more listens).

But front to back live? I dunno. I guess if Rush wants to split the show into halves. 1 hour dedicated to CA, break. 1 hour of hits. Could work?

Edited by Mr. Henry Gale

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 7 2012, 08:03 AM)
As much as I'm really digging CA, I'd have to disagree.

I'd be cool with them playing about 7-8 songs from it...but the catelog is just so huge.

I also think they should break them up as well...like perform them in pairs:

Caravan/BU2B

Clockwork Angels/The Anarchist

Seven Cities of Gold/The Wreckers

Headlong Flight/The Garden

That way, you get a nice mix with plenty of new material for us all to enjoy, but leaves breathing room for all the past material.

The reason I say this is simply because there are WAY too many other amazing songs that I'd also love to hear. I want a nice mix of everything on this tour's setlist, if possible!

Now...if they'd be willing to ramp the shows up to 4 HOURS...then we're talking!  yes.gif

Agreed

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jun 6 2012, 10:36 PM)
I hope they do. And if half the crowd leaves, screw 'em, that'll just get me closer to the stage 1022.gif

Well if they do play a majority of CA, I really think they'll need a HUGE, IMPRESSIVE light / sound / video / whatever / stageshow to go along with it, to at least keep the uninitiated in their seats.

Kind of like how Dream Theater had a shrink out on stage doing the narration when they played all of SFAM in 2000.

Well, not maybe quite like that tongue.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 7 2012, 05:26 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 6 2012, 10:44 PM)
yes.gif

I think they should play the first half of CA during the last part of the first set, and then open the second set with the second half, maybe with Seven Cities Of Gold. That would break it up nicely  smile.gif

I bet this is exactly what they will do.

I haven't even heard it yet, and this is what I think & hope they'll do. tongue.gif

Let's remember they did play most (all?) of Power Windows on that tour.

2.gif